Ireland, still the greatest little country in the world.

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yes my friends, we may be going bankrupt here in the emerald Isle,

have a bunch of politicians who are more crooked than the handle on a pot o'gold,

banks run by people who you wouldn't leave your pets with on a weekend away,

criminals who'd shoot you for packet of fags (with a rocket launcher),

a drink culture that even the Russians would take notice off (when sober),

and a national history that starts good about 3,000 years ago, (even the Romans were wise enough not to start with us); but it all started going downhill about 800 years ago, and kept on going down until about 1993, then we had a bit of an uplift, now we are back to regular service.

But despite all of that, we are still the greatest little nation of mentalists around, you know that the planet would be a lot more boring without the Irish in it!

Go Ireland, I love you! :yh_shamrk
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Anyway, Milkennie, that's the PR taken care of, now, onto business.

Irish Life and Permanent giving Anglo a few billion to cook the books? WTF is going on?

Do we have any honest people in our banking system?

This is bad, really bad.

And its not like things were good to start off with, is it?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Galbally;1132278 wrote: Yes my friends, we may be going bankrupt here in the emerald Isle,

have a bunch of politicians who are more crooked than the handle on a pot o'gold,

banks run by people who you wouldn't leave your pets with on a weekend away,

criminals who'd shoot you for packet of fags (with a rocket launcher),

a drink culture that even the Russians would take notice off (when sober),

and a national history that starts good about 3,000 years ago, (even the Romans were wise enough not to start with us); but it all started going downhill about 800 years ago, and kept on going down until about 1993, then we had a bit of an uplift, now we are back to regular service.

But despite all of that, we are still the greatest little nation of mentalists around, you know that the planet would be a lot more boring without the Irish in it!

Go Ireland, I love you! :yh_shamrk

omg.........who runs a country so beautiful like that?:-5:-5

Go Ireland! :-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Odie;1132297 wrote: omg.........who runs a country so beautiful like that?:-5:-5

Go Ireland! :-6

I'll tell you.

Brian Cowen, Sean Fitzpatrick, Brian Goggins, Bertie Ahearn, Charlie Haughy, Liam Lawlor, Padraig Flynn, Ray Bourke, and the rest of them.

We do have lots of good people as well though Odie, and its still a great country, and don't worry, when all of this is over, we'll still be here, singing songs, cracking jokes, and basically being Irish. :-6

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Galbally;1132302 wrote: I'll tell you.

Brian Cowen, Sean Fitzpatrick, Brian Goggins, Bertie Ahearn, Charlie Haughy, Liam Lawlor, Padraig Flynn, Ray Bourke, and the rest of them.

We do have lots of good people as well though Odie, and its still a great country, and don't worry, when all of this is over, we'll still be here, singing songs, cracking jokes, and basically being Irish. :-6

our politicians are absolutely rotten here also, because we are in do much debt......they again raised our property tax's 4%

every year they go up now because of their debt!:-5:-5

not fair to homeowners, we pay for their spending!:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Galbally;1132281 wrote: Anyway, Milkennie, that's the PR taken care of, now, onto business.

Irish Life and Permanent giving Anglo a few billion to cook the books? WTF is going on?

Do we have any honest people in our banking system?

This is bad, really bad.

And its not like things were good to start off with, is it?

Then they give the ex-Financial Regulator gets a back-hander of over €600,000 to take an early retirement, plus a €300,000 up front retirement payment, plus is now eligible for a retirement pay of €150,000 a year.

Just a nice way of saying ‘thanks for turning a blind eye and letting us get rich while we destroy this country’.

WHY ISN’T ANYONE IN JAIL???
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Then the fecken unions want to strike, they have the best pension plans in Europe, guaranteed jobs, and all they are being asked to do is give more contribution to their own retirement fund, which they will get back anyway!!

Then they say ‘everyone should feel the pain, not just public service workers’ what??… thousands of jobs being lost is not feeling the pain?? Are they out of their minds thinking that they will get any support or sympathy from the people?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

mikeinie;1132314 wrote: Then they give the ex-Financial Regulator gets a back-hander of over €600,000 to take an early retirement, plus a €300,000 up front retirement payment, plus is now eligible for a retirement pay of €150,000 a year.

Just a nice way of saying ‘thanks for turning a blind eye and letting us get rich while we destroy this country’.

WHY ISN’T ANYONE IN JAIL???

I DON"T KNOW! :mad:

Seriously, this is a national disgrace, we need to get rid of this government; and deal with these people, it is utterly disgraceful what is going on, I actually cannot believe it. :(

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

It's a great little country alright. It may even be the greatest little country anywhere. It's had more than its share of great Irishmen in its time too. Phil Lynott, my goodness there's a name to conjure with, it would be hard to think of anyone who'd added more value to the world.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Galbally;1132317 wrote: I DON"T KNOW! :mad:

Seriously, this is a national disgrace, we need to get rid of this government; and deal with these people, it is utterly disgraceful what is going on, I actually cannot believe it. :(

Then….. then we are going to give €7 Billion to banks to ‘save them’ and the exact same feckers are running the banks, no changes, no one fired, charged or imprisoned, we are handing them €7 billion with what restrictions???? The Financial Regulator will manage them…. The same Financial Regulator who has been managing them…..

St. Patrick, helllllpppppp

Time to drive a few more snakes of a different type off the island
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

spot;1132319 wrote: It's a great little country alright. It may even be the greatest little country anywhere. It's had more than its share of great Irishmen in its time too. Phil Lynott, my goodness there's a name to conjure with, it would be hard to think of anyone who'd added more value to the world.

Thanks Spot, we will have a pint one day, god knows pubs may be the only business left here when all this is done..
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

If I can figure out exactly which county my Great x3 grandmother came from exactly in Ireland, can I come join ya? :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

mikeinie;1132322 wrote: Then….. then we are going to give €7 Billion to banks to ‘save them’ and the exact same feckers are running the banks, no changes, no one fired, charged or imprisoned, we are handing them €7 billion with what restrictions???? The Financial Regulator will manage them…. The same Financial Regulator who has been managing them…..

St. Patrick, helllllpppppp

Time to drive a few more snakes of a different type off the island

NO NO NO! :mad:

Please, Mrs McAlese, end this Dail, the President has to step in, the Minister of Finance didn't even read the full report on Anglo before he decided to nationalize it! I have no confidence in any of this, its wrong, wrong, wrong.

The opposition parties should just walk out of the Dail at this stage, the Greens need to stop the government before they waste another 7 billion that we don't have!

This is our future they are throwing away.

Everybody say a little prayer for Ireland, we are going to need it. :(

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Sheryl;1132327 wrote: If I can figure out exactly which county my Great x3 grandmother came from exactly in Ireland, can I come join ya? :D

Course you can darlin, but just hold off until the revolution is over. That will be in a few months. :-6

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Galbally;1132302 wrote: I'll tell you.

:-6 Ugly buggers they are too. At least britain has some Parlimentary Totti to look at.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

oscar;1132333 wrote: Ugly buggers they are too. At least britain has some Parlimentary Totti to look at.

Yeah, but we always reckoned that Maggie Thatcher had a thing about Charlie Haughey when he was the Taoiseach, he was a bit of a charmer, I bet they got in on, she was well up for it. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Galbally;1132278 wrote: Yes my friends, we may be going bankrupt here in the emerald Isle,

Join the club....

Galbally;1132278 wrote: and a national history that starts good about 3,000 years ago, (even the Romans were wise enough not to start with us)

Untrue, it was because us Caledonians kicked seven bells out of them, so they buggered off and built a wall.

Galbally;1132278 wrote: but it all started going downhill about 800 years ago

Totally due to the perfidious English (as usual).

Galbally;1132278 wrote: But despite all of that, we are still the greatest little nation of mentalists around, you know that the planet would be a lot more boring without the Irish in it!

No, your only the second greatest, if it wasn't for us Scots there wouldn't be a world........

Galbally;1132343 wrote: Yeah, but we always reckoned that Maggie Thatcher had a thing about Charlie Haughey when he was the Taoiseach, he was a bit of a charmer, I bet they got in on, she was well up for it.

By all the hells, he must have been feckin DESPERATE!!
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Join the club....

Cheers, nice to be in.

Untrue, it was because us Caledonians kicked seven bells out of them, so they buggered off and built a wall.

Yes, you were hard, but they did have a go before they ran away; they wouldn't even land in Ireland.

Totally due to the perfidious English (as usual).

Quite, they are a tricky lot, they got the better of us for a long time.

No, your only the second greatest, if it wasn't for us Scots there wouldn't be a world........

Yes, and if there was no Ireland, there would never have been a Scotland, you invented the world, but we invented you. ;)

By all the hells, he must have been feckin DESPERATE!!

Ah, sure he was just giving her an auld lash, it was probably a slow week for him, he was a sly dog.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Galbally;1132434 wrote: JYes, you were hard, but they did have a go before they ran away; they wouldn't even land in Ireland.

Well no, they couldn't. We stole all their boats.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

oscar;1132333 wrote: Ugly buggers they are too. At least britain has some Parlimentary Totti to look at.

Ed Balls is quite fancible...... unlike your Irish parlimentary mingers galbally. :sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Well, another morning, another 1,000 jobs being lost in one company SR Technic are shutting down and letting them all go with 1 months notice.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

mikeinie;1133026 wrote: Well, another morning, another 1,000 jobs being lost in one company SR Technic are shutting down and letting them all go with 1 months notice.

Indeed. Meanwhile the government goes ahead and puts €7,000,000,000 into 2 banks, and we have no real idea what the state of the losses that either of these banks face is. So we are getting a load of money and throwing it at a problem, that we have no idea of the scale of, and we have to...wait for it....

Trust the banks, that they are being honest.....

Well then, no problem there, as our financial institutions are as honest as the day is long aren't they? :mad:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Didn’t you hear?

4 hours after deal was signed with the banks, Bank of Ireland stated that it has under estimated its bad debts and they could be as high as €6 billion… well we now know how they will be blowing the €3.5 billion the government has given them.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Meanwhile.... the Moriarty Tribunal continues now costing us €435 million with no end in sight and no results and nothing changing....
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Sheryl;1132327 wrote: If I can figure out exactly which county my Great x3 grandmother came from exactly in Ireland, can I come join ya? :D

what's her last name?? My husband is really good with knowing exactly what part of Ireland people are from by their name or accent. :-3 :D

oh, and I love Ireland, too! :yh_shamrk :D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

mikeinie;1133035 wrote: Meanwhile.... the Moriarty Tribunal continues now costing us €435 million with no end in sight and no results and nothing changing....

Simple, cut the lawyers fees by 50 percent, but under no circumstances allow them to wrap the tribunals up without coming to any conclusions, thats what they were intended to do, bury the truth, we need them to come to conclusions now more than ever. The Greens are adamant that the tribunals be completed and on this, I am in agreement with the Greens.

As for what is happening now, we don't need tribunals, we need the Fraud Office, Interpol, and the CAB.

We also need the President to dissolve this dail, though its probably already to late for that 7,000,000,000 euro's worth of money, oh we are going to miss that money so much when it becomes apparent its been thrown away, which is precisely what's been done.

I have no confidence in this government with Fianna Fail in power, its a farce, they need to be gotten rid of.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

mikeinie;1133032 wrote: Didn’t you hear?

4 hours after deal was signed with the banks, Bank of Ireland stated that it has under estimated its bad debts and they could be as high as €6 billion… well we now know how they will be blowing the €3.5 billion the government has given them.

What a surprise, of course the minister was only acting on "information available at the time" i.e yesterday.

Liars liars liars. :mad:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Well, they have done it, they have thrown away another 7 billion on bailing out banks that have fundamentally lost the confidence of the markets, the shareholders, and the Irish people.

We have no idea of how bad the bad debts of these banks are, and we are not allowed to know, despite the fact that we are paying to pay off their debts. They "promise" that they will "help" all the people now about to go to the wall, yeah, thanks guys, what a swell bunch you are.

They talk about capping salaries and eliminating bonuses, but no mention of anyone facing anything more than a stiff talking to, and then a brandy and a cigar. Then its off to Chapter One or Tosca for some Filet Mingon.

Then the Chairman of the Board of IL&P decides to offer his resignation, but the board won't accept it, despite allowing their bank to be involved in one of the most shameful episodes in Irish financial history.

Anglo Irish Bank still sits there Sphinx-like, its still in operation, despite being exposed as an organization that was fundamentally unsound and corrupt, why has it not already been closed down?

Fianna Fail are now down to 22 percent in the opinion polls, and go down to the third party below labour.

Bring on the next election. :mad:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

When all is said and done, I'm quite fond of our little island. It's home :-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

pinkchick;1133633 wrote: When all is said and done, I'm quite fond of our little island. It's home :-4

I love this country, that is why it is just killing me watching what is happening to it.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I love this country, that is why it is just killing me watching what is happening to it.

That's exactly how I feel about England.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

pinkchick;1133633 wrote: When all is said and done, I'm quite fond of our little island. It's home :-4

Yes it will always be home, but at the moment I feel sick inside watching what they are doing to it, and what they have already done. :(

I don't blame all polticians and all bankers, but by god we have an awful lot of cockroaches to get rid of down here, some of what they have done is being described as "economic treason".

That's probably the only way to describe the attitude of some of the people at the top of our own society, its heartbreaking. :-1

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Clodhopper;1133647 wrote: That's exactly how I feel about England.

Yes, I know this isn't just here, I have been watching the shenanigans going on in the City of London in the past few days as well, pretty breath taking, and galling if your an ordinary U.K. taxpayer.

Its like watching wood-lice run for the dark, when someone lifts up a log isn't it? There is going to be a lot more of this.

Where we are all headed at the moment, I don't know.

But its not good. :(

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
michalswarm

Post by michalswarm »

Hi,

Ireland one of the top 10 in European countries. There are three World Heritage Sites on the island; these are the Brú na Boinne, Skellig Michael and the Giant's Causeway.[30] A number of other places are on the tentative list, for example the Burren and Mount Stewart.Some of the most visited sites in Ireland include Bunratty Castle, the Rock of Cashel, the Cliffs of Moher, Holy Cross Abbey and Blarney Castle.
cheap holidays turkey
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Bobby Flay was in Ireland visiting local food shops. Looked like a really nice place. I was surprised. I thought everyone threw malatov cocktails all over the streets. I didnt see anything like that. I finally know what pudding is. Its not like any kind of pudding Ive ever seen.

You guys are kooky.
I AM AWESOME MAN
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Nomad;1295182 wrote: Bobby Flay was in Ireland visiting local food shops. Looked like a really nice place. I was surprised. I thought everyone threw malatov cocktails all over the streets. I didnt see anything like that. I finally know what pudding is. Its not like any kind of pudding Ive ever seen.

You guys are kooky.

:yh_sungla

No not anymore, there is no fight left in the 'fighting Irish' we sold out to the Celtic Tiger and now we let the banks and developers walk all over us and do nothing about it.

Return to “Ireland”