The Fantastique Works of Clarice Cliff.

Discuss Arts and Crafts! Painting, sculpture, pottery, craft kits, plans, and ideas! Talk about projects that children can do as well.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I was barely out of my teens the first time I saw a piece of Clarice Cliff pottery. I can still remember how fascinating I found the vivid colours that seemed to fill up my senses as they almost leapt out at me. Cottages in startlingly bright shades of orange and yellow, trees of pale and dark greens as well as pink, blue and turquoise bands that circled the ovoid vase I held, thrilled me and filled me with an almost childish delight.

Clarice first introduced me to and inspired my life long love for all things Art Deco and she got me hooked on the Jazz Age of the period. Over time I have handled, researched and indeed sold many, many pieces of “Clarice Cliff” as they are simply known to collectors and the trade.

From vases with exotic patterns such as “Latona Dahlia,” “Orange Secrets,” “Blue Luxor,” and “Café au Lait Red Tulip” to conical sugar sifters, centrepieces, tea sets, chargers, jugs, basins and book ends called “Sunray,” “Cornwall,” “Blue Chintz,” “Windbells” and “Comets,” I have never been anything but delighted to merely gaze upon them in wonder.

The pottery of Clarice Cliff is unmistakably recognisable to even a novice who has only ever seen a single piece. So whether it is “Bizarre,” “Fantastique,” “Crocus” or “Age of Jazz,” simply feasting your eyes on her work will surely brighten your day considerably.

(See First Reply.)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

The pieces pictured here range in value from $6000.00 to $16000.00 each.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

No offense, but they look like school projects to me. I reckon I have no taste for art.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

My apologies. These images should have been included in the first reply. Alas, I am a poet, a romantic and a dreamer ... the workings of computers in the 21st century are still foreign to my 1920's intellect!

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

YZGI;1384871 wrote: No offense, but they look like school projects to me. I reckon I have no taste for art.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Captain YZ ... Whatever pleases your asthetic eye is what matters ... nothing else!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

The last two images You posted are such eye candy....so exquisite!! Just to have that vase for my daily flowers....I think the vase would out shine them!

Beautiful appointed pieces....

Return to “Arts Crafts”