Should Marijuana Be Legal?

laneybug

Post by laneybug »

Well, what do you think? I'll spare my views until later. Interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.
It is better to have your mind opened by wonder

than closed by belief.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Yes.
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

It will happen.

When the U.S. govmint finds a way to package, TAX. and cut it so it "won't harm us".

Til then.

Where's my Pink Floyd Cd?

ahh.

laterz....................
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

They can. They will.

Just read Truthbrigers threads.

;)

Damn. Where is that cd?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That's got to be one very uneducated stereotypical statement.

Exactly how is grass any worse than booze?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Magenta, while I respect that you are entitled to have your own opinion, I still find your concept of it uneducated. The notion that only one type of person uses grass is ridiculous.

I compared it to "another vice" because I don't find it any worse than booze and often more beneficial. If you're going to have one you may as well not villify the other.

Also, not all people who do this stuff end up in drug clinics any more than people who drink end up at the Betty Ford Clinic.

I think someone's watched "Reefer Madness" a few too many times.
NotToday

Post by NotToday »

should be legal.

bring it on plz. thx.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax, and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I don't want any law that tries to protect me from myself. The only law that should be in place in this situation is "Buyer Beware".
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

magenta flame;623317 wrote: [...]

Ok so enlighten me what's so good about weed except for it's medicinal value?
I don't believe something should be proven to be "good" before it becomes legal. Personally, I don't think it should be addressed as a matter of law at all.

magenta flame wrote: [...]

...you want to be all doped up go ahead.
You believe that only those that wish to smoke it support legalization? Sorry. I wouldn't touch it, but that's no reason to outlaw it.
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

And hippies are not on the dole.

They're too stoned to remember to apply for disabilities.

Also it's medicinal value is bunk.

I still can't see.

Pass the heroin, will you?

Or did you mean a Lou Reed cd?
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

I don't think it should be legal, Someone very close to me is a pot head, he is unable to get up for work, a conversation with him is non existent, it's just grunts. Without a doubt I think it kills the brain cells, so for people like myself that don't have too many too start with, it could be disastrous.

I think, in more cases than none, it does lead to other drugs being tried.

I think for medicinal purposes we have modern medicine that would work as effectively.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

SuzyB;623436 wrote: I don't think it should be legal, Someone very close to me is a pot head, he is unable to get up for work, a conversation with him is non existent, it's just grunts. Without a doubt I think it kills the brain cells, so for people like myself that don't have too many too start with, it could be disastrous.

I think, in more cases than none, it does lead to other drugs being tried.

I think for medicinal purposes we have modern medicine that would work as effectively.
But that would be making a law against bad judgment - placing the government in the role of parent/guardian. Shouldn't people be responsible for their own actions?
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Accountable;623439 wrote: But that would be making a law against bad judgment - placing the government in the role of parent/guardian. Shouldn't people be responsible for their own actions?

I totally believe that people should be responsible for their own actions, but human nature tells us that unfortunately some people aren't, and have no thought or care of whom gets hurt.

Some people need protection from themselves.

As a parent I try my upmost to protect and educate my children, about what I see as dangerous, but I know from when I was younger with all the best will in the world, kids don't always listen to their parents.

I just don't feel that drugs of any kind should be legal, thats my personal opinion :)

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Yes it should be legal. I dont smoke it but i have done (many years ago) far less harmful than alcohol IMO.
Lon

Post by Lon »

almostfamous;623300 wrote: I think yes but it will never happen :rolleyes:

Prior to 1937, pot was legal in the U.S. despite the press demonizing and exagerating the effects.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

SuzyB;623441 wrote: I totally believe that people should be responsible for their own actions, but human nature tells us that unfortunately some people aren't, and have no thought or care of whom gets hurt.

Some people need protection from themselves.

As a parent I try my upmost to protect and educate my children, about what I see as dangerous, but I know from when I was younger with all the best will in the world, kids don't always listen to their parents.
I can empathize, but making a decision for everyone because some may make the wrong decision ........ I just can't support that.

SuzyB wrote: I just don't feel that drugs of any kind should be legal, thats my personal opinion :)
I'm sure this reads much broader than you mean. :yh_flower
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i think all drugs should be sold in walmart ,that way if you want to ruin your life you wont have to go robbin every body to pay for ot ,plus all drug dealers would go out of business :thinking:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

jimbo;623588 wrote: i think all drugs should be sold in walmart ,that way if you want to ruin your life you wont have to go robbin every body to pay for ot ,plus all drug dealers would go out of business :thinking:
They have a lot of customers in common already, don't they? :wah:
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

I see a huge range in opinion on this subject, which is what I was expecting, and for the most part, I think that's a good thing. Some opinions I don't quite agree with, even though I understand the argument made, and some opinions I agree with completely.

Jacksdad -- Why do you think it's medicinal value is bunk? A family friend who died from leukemia smoked weed in order to get enough of an appetite to actually eat something. There's medicinal value right there. How about as a sleep aid. I'll admit it, whenever I can't sleep for one reason or another, I use a little marijuana, and I sleep like a baby. Although it's an illegal use, it's still medicinal.

magenta -- I agree with Red on this one. Your opinion is a bit uneducated even though you mentioned all the experience you've had with it. People who end up in drug clinics usually have a multi drug habit. Although many use pot, it's not usually what ends you up in a rehab. As for your opinion about pot smokers being "lazy good for nothing dole bludging hippies...." come on, get a bit of a clue. You'd be amazed at all the types of people who smoke. I've seen extremely professional people go home and smoke a joint. I've seen people who appeared to be the most conservative you could be, go out and buy a bag. Weed does not only appeal to the "hippie" type, which shows how much you really DON'T know about the topic.

Accountable -- I agree with you 100%. Not everyone who wants to legalize marijuana is gonna sit at home and smoke themselves into oblivion. I've heard more people who DON'T smoke wish to legalize it than those who do smoke.

SuzyB -- Your family member is an extreme example. As with drinking or cigarette smoking, or even eating, all in moderation or there will be undesired consequences. Just because some can't use a substance moderately doesn't mean the rest shouldn't be given the choice to use something within a legal framework.

The idea that pot is a gateway drug isn't new either. I disagree with this. I know heavy pot smokers who started very young and have never touched anything else. I know drug addicts who started with cocaine and then went to pot. Anything can be a gateway drug. Caffeine anyone? How many of us are addicted to caffeine. This is a drug. It's is "mind altering." It just happens to be legal.

You stated that "no drugs should be legal." I'm assuming you mean the illegal ones like cocaine, heroin, etc. and not things like Tylenol, etc.

For those of you who believe that marijuana is the big bad boogey man, I have a few questions for ya.

1. How many overdoses have you read or heard about from marijuana alone?

2. How many car accidents from pot alone?

3. How many cases of pot-induced/fueled riots or other criminal activity?

Each of those, if you put "alcohol" where "pot" is, you'll come up with thousands of examples. How many will you come up with for weed alone? Some, maybe. But not as many as the legal substance alcohol.

Anyway, just my long-winded opinion. Thanks all for voicing yours! :D It's definitely an interesting topic with many viewpoints.

than closed by belief.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

laneybug;623661 wrote: I see a huge range in opinion on this subject, which is what I was expecting, and for the most part, I think that's a good thing. Some opinions I don't quite agree with, even though I understand the argument made, and some opinions I agree with completely.

Jacksdad -- Why do you think it's medicinal value is bunk? A family friend who died from leukemia smoked weed in order to get enough of an appetite to actually eat something. There's medicinal value right there. How about as a sleep aid. I'll admit it, whenever I can't sleep for one reason or another, I use a little marijuana, and I sleep like a baby. Although it's an illegal use, it's still medicinal.

magenta -- I agree with Red on this one. Your opinion is a bit uneducated even though you mentioned all the experience you've had with it. People who end up in drug clinics usually have a multi drug habit. Although many use pot, it's not usually what ends you up in a rehab. As for your opinion about pot smokers being "lazy good for nothing dole bludging hippies...." come on, get a bit of a clue. You'd be amazed at all the types of people who smoke. I've seen extremely professional people go home and smoke a joint. I've seen people who appeared to be the most conservative you could be, go out and buy a bag. Weed does not only appeal to the "hippie" type, which shows how much you really DON'T know about the topic.

Accountable -- I agree with you 100%. Not everyone who wants to legalize marijuana is gonna sit at home and smoke themselves into oblivion. I've heard more people who DON'T smoke wish to legalize it than those who do smoke.

SuzyB -- Your family member is an extreme example. As with drinking or cigarette smoking, or even eating, all in moderation or there will be undesired consequences. Just because some can't use a substance moderately doesn't mean the rest shouldn't be given the choice to use something within a legal framework.

The idea that pot is a gateway drug isn't new either. I disagree with this. I know heavy pot smokers who started very young and have never touched anything else. I know drug addicts who started with cocaine and then went to pot. Anything can be a gateway drug. Caffeine anyone? How many of us are addicted to caffeine. This is a drug. It's is "mind altering." It just happens to be legal.

You stated that "no drugs should be legal." I'm assuming you mean the illegal ones like cocaine, heroin, etc. and not things like Tylenol, etc.

For those of you who believe that marijuana is the big bad boogey man, I have a few questions for ya.

Each of those, if you put "alcohol" where "pot" is, you'll come up with thousands of examples. How many will you come up with for weed alone? Some, maybe. But not as many as the legal substance alcohol.

Anyway, just my long-winded opinion. Thanks all for voicing yours! :D It's definitely an interesting topic with many viewpoints.

laneybug you seem too of missed my most excellent post :D :D
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Don't mind me, laney. I was just playing. My eyesight is awful and smoking dope is no help. But then, I don't have glaucoma. Yet.

It is a great sleep aid and also a great way to escape the realities of life.

My roomate is a full blown stoner. Graduated Texas A&M with a degree in marketing.

He delivers pizza 3 hrs a day the smokes the ganja and plays World of Warcraft the other 21 hrs. He'll fit in sleep every other day.

Simply put, he's a waste of human flesh and has the memory of a goldfish.

But who am I to judge.

Smoke em if ya can afford em kids.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

almostfamous;623673 wrote: The 3 questions Laney posed are my point exactly.

I grew up around alcohol abusers; I grew up around drug abusers. People are gonna take a downward spiral no matter what the addiction, if they're hell bent on it in the first place. I personally don't have an addictive personality so for me, nothing is a "gateway drug." Anything I've done in my past was curiosity, and just that. But being the strong person that I am, none of the above got its grubby little fingers on my brain or my ability to function in society. I'm not lazy, I have more than 2 brain cells fighting for domination, most times:wah: and I don't cause harm to anyone.

excellent post :D

would any one believe me if i said i never touch drugs :wah:
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

jimbo;623666 wrote: laneybug you seem too of missed my most excellent post

Oh, about getting it at WalMart? :wah: Hey, why not? Wouldn't bother me any to see a bunch of packaged pot ciggys on the shelf. I don't know though.... by the look of the big mamas that hang out at Wally World, the last thing they need is something to increase the appetite!! :wah: :wah:

I'm terrible. :o

than closed by belief.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

laneybug;623680 wrote: Oh, about getting it at WalMart? Hey, why not? Wouldn't bother me any to see a bunch of packaged pot ciggys on the shelf. I don't know though.... by the look of the big mamas that hang out at Wally World, the last thing they need is something to increase the appetite!! :wah: :wah:

I'm terrible. :o

ooooh that is so wrong but just so true :wah:
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

JacksDad;623671 wrote: Don't mind me, laney. I was just playing. My eyesight is awful and smoking dope is no help. But then, I don't have glaucoma. Yet.

It is a great sleep aid and also a great way to escape the realities of life.

My roomate is a full blown stoner. Graduated Texas A&M with a degree in marketing.

He delivers pizza 3 hrs a day the smokes the ganja and plays World of Warcraft the other 21 hrs. He'll fit in sleep every other day.

Simply put, he's a waste of human flesh and has the memory of a goldfish.

But who am I to judge.

Smoke em if ya can afford em kids.

It's true that smoking weed to an extreme can cause all the things you're talking about. But drinking too much alcohol can make anyone a blubbering idiot. Where I work, one of the people I care for is a man who has alcohol induced dementia, for god's sake.

By the way, I can't stand those kinds of people who get stoned off their ass and sit and play video games all day. Just because I want legalization doesn't mean I want people walking around like frickin' zombies. :thinking:

than closed by belief.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

almostfamous;623673 wrote: The 3 questions Laney posed are my point exactly.

I grew up around alcohol abusers; I grew up around drug abusers. People are gonna take a downward spiral no matter what the addiction, if they're hell bent on it in the first place. I personally don't have an addictive personality so for me, nothing is a "gateway drug." Anything I've done in my past was curiosity, and just that. But being the strong person that I am, none of the above got its grubby little fingers on my brain or my ability to function in society. I'm not lazy, I have more than 2 brain cells fighting for domination, most times:wah: and I don't cause harm to anyone.

Very true. If someone has an addictive personality they're gonna be addicted to something. Whether it's a legal substance or not. And just because some people are morons and need an addiction doesn't mean it shouldn't be legalized, as Accountable was saying.

By the way, I don't consider pot a drug, either. Not in the same sense as cocaine, heroin, speed, Xtasy, etc. More of a drug sense as Advil, in my opinion.

than closed by belief.
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

jimbo;623683 wrote: ooooh that is so wrong but just so true :wah:

I know, it's so wrong on so many levels... but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. :D :wah:

That's pretty much the only thing I have against weed. If it was legal we'd have even more two ton tessies walkin' around.

I know someone's gonna kick me in a minute.... just act normal....:yh_whistl

than closed by belief.
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

laneybug;623661 wrote: I see a huge range in opinion on this subject, which is what I was expecting, and for the most part, I think that's a good thing. Some opinions I don't quite agree with, even though I understand the argument made, and some opinions I agree with completely.

That is what I meant, not prescription drugs. With reference to your questions, I don't have the facts and figures, but I do believe in answer to question to number 2, that accidents have been caused by a driver that smokes pot. A persons reflexes are not the same as if they hadn't smoked it.

If you had asked me this question a few years ago my answers may have been very different, funny what having kids does to you :rolleyes:

laneybug

Post by laneybug »

SuzyB;623694 wrote: That is what I meant, not prescription drugs. With reference to your questions, I don't have the facts and figures, but I do believe in answer to question to number 2, that accidents have been caused by a driver that smokes pot. A persons reflexes are not the same as if they hadn't smoked it.

If you had asked me this question a few years ago my answers may have been very different, funny what having kids does to you :rolleyes:

You're right. Reflexes aren't as good while high. I give you that one. And if it were legalized, it should be illegal to "smoke and drive" as it is to drink and drive. Or to smoke before going into work and things like that. I think it should be a recreational, relaxing thing as alcohol is. But, if given the choice of a high person behind the wheel or a drunk person, I'd choose the high one. What usually happens is they become a danger because they're going too bloody slow! :D

than closed by belief.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

laneybug;623726 wrote: You're right. Reflexes aren't as good while high. I give you that one. And if it were legalized, it should be illegal to "smoke and drive" as it is to drink and drive. Or to smoke before going into work and things like that. I think it should be a recreational, relaxing thing as alcohol is. But, if given the choice of a high person behind the wheel or a drunk person, I'd choose the high one. What usually happens is they become a danger because they're going too bloody slow! :D

if i had the choice of a lady with pms driving me around or any of the above ,i know where i'd be safest :D
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

jimbo;623732 wrote: if i had the choice of a lady with pms driving me around or any of the above ,i know where i'd be safest :D

Just as well that you have me to drive you around (especially the bend) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

look you guys just coz i've upset a few dozen people today there is no need to gang up on me :wah: :wah:
laneybug

Post by laneybug »

jimbo;623732 wrote: if i had the choice of a lady with pms driving me around or any of the above ,i know where i'd be safest :D

:wah: OMG, women with PMS have the worst road rage I've ever seen!! I'd rather be with a group of crazy-eyed bikers than one woman with PMS.

Going off topic here.... my fiance says the way to end the war in Iraq is to take a group of women, put 'em together until their cycles are in sync and send 'em all over when they start PMSing. The Iraqis would beg to surrender!! :wah:

than closed by belief.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Lon;623493 wrote: Prior to 1937, pot was legal in the U.S. despite the press demonizing and exagerating the effects.

...and after that you saw the emergence of the Black Market and marijuana that was unregulated.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
NotToday

Post by NotToday »

almostfamous;624023 wrote: I don't know much about trumpet flowers but I use Valerian for relaxation. To me, Valerian is not a drug, it's an herbal supplement. In pill form, I consider oxycontin and hydrocodine drugs .. vicadin, valium, percacet, .... but it's regulated and some people actually need it. Buying it off the street is what compromises the integrity of the drug itself and causes bigger crackdowns on particular medications.

Why do you think, well, I'll say here in Tennessee ... we have to take a a little tag thingy to the pharmacist to get sudafed and other various sinus products that were contributing components to "cooking meth?" The government finds its ways of controlling things according to severity. That's why marijuana is a Schedule I offense versus a Schedule V possession charge for heroin or codeine.

FYI - AF is a walking herbal remedy store/sales person.

I can call her with whatever is bothering me and she points me where to go. Although I usually opt for a glass of wine and tylenol in most cases, her advice has proven useful in past situations. :)

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax, and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
NotToday

Post by NotToday »

Ooooo Oooooo Witchy Women... lal la la lalala la la la..

Ok sorry, I was singing out loud to myself.

laneybug

Post by laneybug »

almostfamous;625172 wrote: Here's a new perspective for yas :wah:

:yh_rotfl OMG that's absolutely hilarious!!

I do think it's wrong, though, for cops taking something that's illegal and using it for their own benefit. Wish it was legal, but since it isn't, a person of authority shouldn't take advantage of that just because they have easy access to it. All that embarrassment serves that idiot right.

I'm putting this under "My Favorites" on YouTube!! :wah:

than closed by belief.
Gavyn

Post by Gavyn »

My opinion is that marijuana should not be legal because it is a powerfull drug.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Gavyn;1359703 wrote: My opinion is that marijuana should not be legal because it is a powerfull drug.
So is morphine, but morphine is legal.
the grumps

Post by the grumps »

never it should be zero tollerance with the same punishment as class A
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

absolutely it should be legal.

given a choice between dealing with someone that has a buzz on as opposed to someone with a drunk on, the buzz is more entertaining to listen to...
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1360222 wrote: absolutely it should be legal.

given a choice between dealing with someone that has a buzz on as opposed to someone with a drunk on, the buzz is more entertaining to listen to...And listening is more entertaining with a buzz on. :)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

tax revenue, quality control, and a smaller prison population would be side benefits.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Wandrin;1360241 wrote: tax revenue, quality control, and a smaller prison population would be side benefits.The problem with a for-profit prison system is the higher the incarceration rate, the better the profit and lower unemployment rate. The prison industry was an important player in defeating the recent marijuana legalization initiative in California.

When a job is dependent on locking people in cages, something has definitely gone a bad way in a society.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Societal Issues News”