School Bullies

Peg

School Bullies

Post by Peg »

Phoebe Prince’s lilting Irish accent and wide smile made the 15-year-old freshman stand out at South Hadley High School, where she enrolled last fall after her family relocated from a tiny village in the west of Ireland.

Her principal called her smart and charming. A boy invited the new girl to the school’s winter cotillion, a highlight of the school year. But two days before the Jan. 16 dance, Prince died in an apparent suicide, after incessant bullying by classmates at the 700-student high school.

FullStory

I applaud the prosecutors who are charging 9 teens in this case. I hope they also go after the school officials who knew, and didn't attempt to stop the harrassment and bullying.
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

omg.......so very sad.:-1
Life is just to short for drama.
ZAP

School Bullies

Post by ZAP »

That is so tragic!
FUBAR

School Bullies

Post by FUBAR »

Unfortunately bullies work on the fear of all the others that they will be next that's why so many join in. Common in the workplace as well with many managers saying that they are "firm" with the employees. What they mean is they get off on the fear they believe they get back.
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

FUBAR;1301086 wrote: Unfortunately bullies work on the fear of all the others that they will be next that's why so many join in. Common in the workplace as well with many managers saying that they are "firm" with the employees. What they mean is they get off on the fear they believe they get back.

very common in the workplace.......I had one nasty evil disgusting bitch!:-5
Peg

School Bullies

Post by Peg »

They are lucky she didn't go the other way and take a gun to school.
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

Peg;1301089 wrote: They are lucky she didn't go the other way and take a gun to school.

it just may have saved her life.
Oscar Namechange

School Bullies

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Odie;1301094 wrote: it just may have saved her life. What??? And have her possibly kill Innocent kids In the Crossfire??? :(
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

School Bullies

Peg;1301089 wrote: They are lucky she didn't go the other way and take a gun to school.
This has made head-line news In England Peg. We had a case very similar a couple of years ago and a girl was found guilty of Manslaughter of the girl she bullied when she jumped off a high building.

From what I have seen on our TV, this should not be called bullying. This was persecution of an Innocent girl. I am so glad that the teens are answering charges.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

oscar;1301114 wrote: What??? And have her possibly kill Innocent kids In the Crossfire??? :(

let's not start with possible again.:rolleyes:

Did you not understand it was a figure of speech?

She lost her life because of bullies, bullies are people who just won't stop.:lips:
along-for-the-ride

School Bullies

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Unfortunately, bullies have existed for a long time. There were a few when I went to school and I do remember them. Most of us can stand up to a bully, But the few who cannot, there lies the tragedy. That's where the rest of us come in. When we see bullying, we step in. Put that bully in his/her place. But that's not enough. We must go to victim and give support to him/her.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

School Bullies

along-for-the-ride;1301138 wrote: Unfortunately, bullies have existed for a long time. There were a few when I went to school and I do remember them. Most of us can stand up to a bully, But the few who cannot, there lies the tragedy. That's where the rest of us come in. When we see bullying, we step in. Put that bully in his/her place. But that's not enough. We must go to victim and give support to him/her.
Very good advice AFTR. As a teenager at school, I always defended the Under-dog and would make them my friend. It meant I hung out out with some right Mingers Instead of the Groovy Kids but I hated to see them being picked on.
southern yankee

School Bullies

Post by southern yankee »

i was bullied when i was in school. i don't think the bully knows what damage they are doing to someone. it can cause life lasting scares. it took me many years to recover from being bullied.:(:(
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1301172 wrote: i was bullied when i was in school. i don't think the bully knows what damage they are doing to someone. it can cause life lasting scares. it took me many years to recover from being bullied.:(:(

I'm so sorry to hear that sis!:(

It can take years, as I was bullied at work.
southern yankee

School Bullies

Odie;1301179 wrote: I'm so sorry to hear that sis!:(

It can take years, as I was bullied at work. yes, but i have overcome it. it was a long struggle. but i know now i am worth more:-4. i feel for every bullied child.:-1:-1
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1301220 wrote: yes, but i have overcome it. it was a long struggle. but i know now i am worth more:-4. i feel for every bullied child.:-1:-1

It is a long struggle and some never overcome its unforgivable behavoirs.
southern yankee

School Bullies

Odie;1301221 wrote: It is a long struggle and some never overcome its unforgivable behavoirs. now on the other end. What causes a someone to bully?? Are they also abused?? So they lash out?? Something to think about??:confused::-3:-3
Betty Boop

School Bullies

Post by Betty Boop »

My daughter's school denies that they have any issues with bullying at all :rolleyes:

For quite some time my daughter has put up with being called names by one particular girl in her class. I asked for my daughter to be moved tables but no that couldn't be done. Is name calling that has gone on since September, which is enough to reduce my daughter to tears, bullying or not? According to the school it's my daughter being over-sensitive.

So, being the quiet sensitive one I guess she has to change her whole way of behaving to accommodate this other persons lack of respect for others... hmmm the thing that gets me, this other girl gives me filthy looks in the playground, pure evil, almost confrontational 'yeah, come and have a go at me then' look, she knows what she's doing and she knows she's getting away with it!
Oscar Namechange

School Bullies

Betty Boop;1301290 wrote: My daughter's school denies that they have any issues with bullying at all :rolleyes:

For quite some time my daughter has put up with being called names by one particular girl in her class. I asked for my daughter to be moved tables but no that couldn't be done. Is name calling that has gone on since September, which is enough to reduce my daughter to tears, bullying or not? According to the school it's my daughter being over-sensitive.

So, being the quiet sensitive one I guess she has to change her whole way of behaving to accommodate this other persons lack of respect for others... hmmm the thing that gets me, this other girl gives me filthy looks in the playground, pure evil, almost confrontational 'yeah, come and have a go at me then' look, she knows what she's doing and she knows she's getting away with it!
From my experience boops ( Mr O was Caretaker and Dinner Lady at the school next door when he retired for a couple of years), the School does Indeed know the bullying Is going on but fears a bad OFSTED report If they confront It. The previous Head at the Primary School next door to me would do any-thing to pretect her OFSTED report and funding. This was a woman who cancelled Mr O's re-order for anti-septic wipes for the children to save money but then bought herself a new printer.

There was an occassion when a woman I knew well had to go to see her because her daughter was being bullied and the Head actually told her that her child was probably lying rather than face It. Needless, to say, she removed her kids that same day.
Oscar Namechange

School Bullies

Odie;1301135 wrote: let's not start with possible again.:rolleyes:

Did you not understand it was a figure of speech?

She lost her life because of bullies, bullies are people who just won't stop.:lips: I have no problem with Understanding a figure of speech, however, you stated that If she had taken a gun Into school, It would have probably saved her life.

I'm just Interested In how you think any kid taking a gun to school, even In self-defence, Is acceptable?
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1301227 wrote: now on the other end. What causes a someone to bully?? Are they also abused?? So they lash out?? Something to think about??:confused::-3:-3

jealousy, competition, insecurity, peer pressure and more.

I know some who just assume they know it all and will do anything to try and prove it.
beowulf

School Bullies

Post by beowulf »

the daughter of a friend was bullied.

Carrie was a bit of a goth when she was 15......black clothes and makeup etc....looked different from the masses.....one day she got picked on by 3 others who got her cornered in an empty classroom

what they didnt know was that Carries hobby was karate......she represented Britain at under 16 level.....at the European championships she put one of the top German girls in hospital

apparently even now, 5 years later, any of the 3 girls will rather cross the road than pass her in the street
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Peg

School Bullies

Post by Peg »

southern yankee;1301227 wrote: now on the other end. What causes a someone to bully?? Are they also abused?? So they lash out?? Something to think about??:confused::-3:-3

Perhaps they figure if they are the bully, noone will bully them?

Betty? Is there anyone above the person you have spoken with that you could go to?
Betty Boop

School Bullies

Post by Betty Boop »

Peg;1301312 wrote: Perhaps they figure if they are the bully, noone will bully them?

Betty? Is there anyone above the person you have spoken with that you could go to?

Yes, the head, but she's another sweep it all under the carpet person :rolleyes: I will end up demanding she does something though.
Oscar Namechange

School Bullies

Betty Boop;1301315 wrote: Yes, the head, but she's another sweep it all under the carpet person :rolleyes: I will end up demanding she does something though.
Go to the School Governers Boop, they are more sympathetic In some cases.

Failing that... Tell the Head you will go to the Education Board.
Odie

School Bullies

Post by Odie »

beowulf;1301309 wrote: the daughter of a friend was bullied.

Carrie was a bit of a goth when she was 15......black clothes and makeup etc....looked different from the masses.....one day she got picked on by 3 others who got her cornered in an empty classroom

what they didnt know was that Carries hobby was karate......she represented Britain at under 16 level.....at the European championships she put one of the top German girls in hospital

apparently even now, 5 years later, any of the 3 girls will rather cross the road than pass her in the street

Good for her!:guitarist

I believe all parents should enroll their kids in karate.

My nephews, 15 and 17 have been black belts for 2 years.
southern yankee

School Bullies

Betty Boop;1301290 wrote: My daughter's school denies that they have any issues with bullying at all :rolleyes:

So, being the quiet sensitive one I guess she has to change her whole way of behaving to accommodate this other persons lack of respect for others... hmmm the thing that gets me, this other girl gives me filthy looks in the playground, pure evil, almost confrontational 'yeah, come and have a go at me then' look, she knows what she's doing and she knows she's getting away with it! put your foot down dear. WORDS HURT!! i know. Talk to whoever you have to until this stops. I Think there should a class taught about being bullied and bullying: the effects of it. Parents should take it with their child,
medicinehat1

School Bullies

Post by medicinehat1 »

Bullying can be very damaging and may well lead to problems later in life if particularly severe. It doesn't have to involve physical violence. Being for example ignored or made fun of can be just as damaging. I speak from abundant personal experience. Every school and indeed work place should have an anti-bullying policy which it sticks to and anyone who crosses the line should be made to face the consequences. Sure, kids will face a bit of "rough and tumble" at school but there's that and then there's making them feel like a worthless piece of s**t which is what I often encountered at school myself.

Return to “Societal Issues News”