British schools where girls must wear the Islamic veil

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

British schools where girls must wear the Islamic veil - Telegraph

If we were to take away the political issues concerning the burka, would this be acceptable. I, personally, don't think it is. In my opinion, school uniforms should be conservative but not extreme.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I believe I understand and appreciate the idea behind school uniforms in making children feel equal to one another, but not sure it serves the purpose for which it was intended. Kids are smart, they know who is bright and who is less bright, they know who has money and who does not, they know who is pretty and who is not etc. etc. In the U.S. school uniforms are only a part of private or parochial education. Most public schools have some form of dress code but kids will wear anything from designer what ever to my big sisters hand me downs. The thing that I personally dislike about school uniforms is the conformity and that goes for BURKAS (even though connected with a religion). Uniforms in my opinion can stifle creativity and individuality, much the way the military gets it's troops to conform on command. If it's society's purpose to turn out nice little robotic citizens that all turn out to be followers, then uniforms will help bring that about.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1336514 wrote: Uniforms in my opinion can stifle creativity and individuality, much the way the military gets it's troops to conform on command. If it's society's purpose to turn out nice little robotic citizens that all turn out to be followers, then uniforms will help bring that about.I actually view the opposite to be true. Kids wearing uniforms do not separate themselves from others allowing them to empathize much more than they would when they get into groups, which is largely to do with clothes. Without the groups you have a uniform group and it serves to romanticize the idea to help each other. "Individuality" is what got us here in the economic crisis and will eventually in the near future ruin it. "Great America", yeah right

How anyone could expect morality is indicative of complacency is beyond me. It's very definitively evil because it's ignorant

Cookie?
Lon

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1336546 wrote: I actually view the opposite to be true. Kids wearing uniforms do not separate themselves from others allowing them to empathize much more than they would when they get into groups, which is largely to do with clothes. Without the groups you have a uniform group and it serves to romanticize the idea to help each other. "Individuality" is what got us here in the economic crisis and will eventually in the near future ruin it. "Great America", yeah right

How anyone could expect morality is indicative of complacency is beyond me. It's very definitively evil because it's ignorant

Cookie?

Individuality is not what got us into the economic mess we are in---------it was GREED. Individuality fosters critical thinking, something we need more of.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1336559 wrote: Individuality is not what got us into the economic mess we are in---------it was GREED. Individuality fosters critical thinking, something we need more of.It also fosters contempt something we need less of
Lon

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1336678 wrote: It also fosters contempt something we need less of

Perhaps, but only contempt for those that don't think at all, critical or otherwise.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1336713 wrote: Perhaps, but only contempt for those that don't think at all, critical or otherwise.Well I don't think anyone could disagree with that statement. I will say that contempt and greed is a product of evolution. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before we've a perfect society. Although a million years is quite a long tome to wait and I sincerely doubt an asteroid the size of Mt. Everest wouldn't have hit Earth by that time.

Popcorn?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

OpenMind;1336473 wrote: British schools where girls must wear the Islamic veil - Telegraph

If we were to take away the political issues concerning the burka, would this be acceptable. I, personally, don't think it is. In my opinion, school uniforms should be conservative but not extreme.

I'm not convinced I agree with any Faith schools, Muslim, Jewish, Catholic or CofE.

Two centuries back when the Church was the only organisation providing education for everyone then yes, someone had to. Now that schooling is available to all then allowing single faith schools can only widen the cultural divide and limit understanding.

The only "benefit" is that they allow parents to control what is taught to their children and that, to me, is no benefit - children should learn as widely as possible and be taught how to think. Then they can make their own minds up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1336514 wrote: I believe I understand and appreciate the idea behind school uniforms in making children feel equal to one another, but not sure it serves the purpose for which it was intended. Kids are smart, they know who is bright and who is less bright, they know who has money and who does not, they know who is pretty and who is not etc. etc. In the U.S. school uniforms are only a part of private or parochial education. Most public schools have some form of dress code but kids will wear anything from designer what ever to my big sisters hand me downs. The thing that I personally dislike about school uniforms is the conformity and that goes for BURKAS (even though connected with a religion). Uniforms in my opinion can stifle creativity and individuality, much the way the military gets it's troops to conform on command. If it's society's purpose to turn out nice little robotic citizens that all turn out to be followers, then uniforms will help bring that about.

Kids are far more cliquey than adults and will reject those who do not conform at the drop of a hat. Setting a school uniform just removes one possible set of differences (based mostly on the parents ability to pay) from the list of causes for ostracism. The kids can still be individuals but they don't have to buy the latest fashion to be accepted.

It's when schools make them all think in the same way that we have to worry.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1336719 wrote: I'm not convinced I agree with any Faith schools, Muslim, Jewish, Catholic or CofE.

Two centuries back when the Church was the only organisation providing education for everyone then yes, someone had to. Now that schooling is available to all then allowing single faith schools can only widen the cultural divide and limit understanding.

The only "benefit" is that they allow parents to control what is taught to their children and that, to me, is no benefit - children should learn as widely as possible and be taught how to think. Then they can make their own minds up.

Seems to me like these individuals will get weened out by default. No room for a capped intellect
Lon

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1336715 wrote: Well I don't think anyone could disagree with that statement. I will say that contempt and greed is a product of evolution. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before we've a perfect society. Although a million years is quite a long tome to wait and I sincerely doubt an asteroid the size of Mt. Everest wouldn't have hit Earth by that time.

Popcorn?

Who would want to live in a perfect society? Not me. Where is the challenge, the incentive to improve? A perfect society of Robotic looking, like minded folks-----------HOW BORING
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1336722 wrote: Seems to me like these individuals will get weened out by default. No room for a capped intellect

Which individuals and how?

If an individual is only taught a small set of ideas, consistently, in all of the environments (s)he has access to for the first 'n' years of life then it will be a long, long, time before (s)he can break out of that mould. That they hold to that small set of ideals will restrict them to staying within the environment they grew up in - thus are ghettos made and thereby develop divided communities.

Children must share life with the whole community - to segregate the children is to divide the community.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1336724 wrote: Who would want to live in a perfect society? Not me. Where is the challenge, the incentive to improve? A perfect society of Robotic looking, like minded folks-----------HOW BORINGI'm not talking about luxuries Lon I'm talking about necessities. I'm not a corrupted communist. Anything beyond equal opportunity in health, education, and freedom of press that does not harm people physically and emotionally anyone can do as their bleeding heart desires

Individuality is not hampered by equality. Anything in opposition to this viewpoint is either a subconscious fear of not profiting from another's misfortune or far less atrocious being those consciously willing to murder to get what they want
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1336728 wrote: Which individuals and how?

If an individual is only taught a small set of ideas, consistently, in all of the environments (s)he has access to for the first 'n' years of life then it will be a long, long, time before (s)he can break out of that mould. That they hold to that small set of ideals will restrict them to staying within the environment they grew up in - thus are ghettos made and thereby develop divided communities.

Children must share life with the whole community - to segregate the children is to divide the community.I'm agreeing that people limited to a capped curriculum are doomed in society by default because they've not the ability to inspire new ideas and theories that should be credited as much as those proven
Lon

Post by Lon »

K.Snyder;1336765 wrote: I'm not talking about luxuries Lon I'm talking about necessities. I'm not a corrupted communist. Anything beyond equal opportunity in health, education, and freedom of press that does not harm people physically and emotionally anyone can do as their bleeding heart desires

Individuality is not hampered by equality. Anything in opposition to this viewpoint is either a subconscious fear of not profiting from another's misfortune or far less atrocious being those consciously willing to murder to get what they want

OK-------but you used the expression PERFECT SOCIETY and that has a pretty broad interpretation without clarifying what you consider a PERFECT SOCIETY to be. You then feel that Health -- Education -- and Freedom of the Press would constitute a PERFECT SOCIETY. Does that sum it up?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Lon;1336776 wrote: OK-------but you used the expression PERFECT SOCIETY and that has a pretty broad interpretation without clarifying what you consider a PERFECT SOCIETY to be. You then feel that Health -- Education -- and Freedom of the Press would constitute a PERFECT SOCIETY. Does that sum it up?Yes sire chalk up a ding ding ding
binbag

Post by binbag »

What is it about Muslims that creates such sensitivity towards them?

Is Britain frightened of them or what, why is our own country's faiths not shown such sensitvity.

People have been banned from wearing crosses in Britain in fear of causing offence, yet it's acceptable to wear the burka in Britain.

Britain is loosing its identity at an alarming rate.

Wait and see, the day will come when we will be banned from singing our very own National Anthem.

I feel desperately sorry for our children and our children's children as they face Britain 's future.
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
Lon

Post by Lon »

binbag;1336938 wrote: What is it about Muslims that creates such sensitivity towards them?

Is Britain frightened of them or what, why is our own country's faiths not shown such sensitvity.

People have been banned from wearing crosses in Britain in fear of causing offence, yet it's acceptable to wear the burka in Britain.

Britain is loosing its identity at an alarming rate.

Wait and see, the day will come when we will be banned from singing our very own National Anthem.

I feel desperately sorry for our children and our children's children as they face Britain 's future.

Today it seems that many fear Islam. In years past---like in the U.S. ---the Puritans and Quakers went at it --- and in the 19th Century the governor of the state of Missouri demanded that all Mormons leave the state or be executed. We atheists have been pretty calm by comparison despite the fact that we too have been maimed, tortured and killed in the past. No wonder there are and have been so many "CLOSET ATHEISTS". :thinking:

Return to “Societal Issues News”