Cheerleader Kicked Off Squad for Refusing to Cheer for Rapist

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

This just seems very wrong to me and is putting out the wrong message, especially to the 16 year old girl who was raped.
Boogalette

Post by Boogalette »

shameful on the adults.

just shameful.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
gmc

Post by gmc »

Why on earth would the other cheerleaders not support her action? It could easily be one of them the next time. Come to that why would anyone on the team be prepared to have him on it after he did something like that?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I can't think of anything right about this.

But then, my "There's more to the story than readily available" alarm kicks off, too.

There is always more to the story.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

woah woah woah woah hold up here. What do you mean Larsmac

and ordered Bolton to attend anger management classes........plus the other sentencing requirements. He's been convicted of assaulting a girl.

BUT he has the audacity to say ............"I have no hard feelings toward the girl," Bolton told KFDM reporter Lindsey Kovacevich after the sentencing. "It was a misunderstanding."

What do you mean there is more to the story?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

correction.

But you can tell from what is said, and what is not being said that there are some other things going on here.

Also, it would seem that blog from the OP has to be at least a year old if this is the same event.

Blog = opinion

News = some facts surrounded by opinion all neatly packaged to sell air time.

That's all I got to say about that.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

from the link

Sheffield told KFDM News everyone involved in the case is a victim of underage drinking and an extreme lack of adult supervision.

"Because everyone had been drinking, it would have made it difficult to prove the allegations raised in this case," said Sheffield.

Sounds a bit like because the girl was drunk she is regarded as contributing to her own rape and perhaps wasn't able to fight back. Does sound like there is a culture where cheerleader are seen as fair game.

The case has deeply divided the community of Silsbee and especially Silsbee High School." Sheffield strongly warns that any retribution, threats or harassment of the victim could result in 3rd degree felony Retaliation charges being filed.

Lie back and take one for the team?
Boogalette

Post by Boogalette »

I read the articles, and they all seem sympathetic to the rapist.

I understand that a person at that age can change, and that it is not always black and white. I also gather from the articles that many wanted the consequences of his actions to not apply in this case, that he was above it all.

Bad vibe all around. I wish I could articulate it better.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Reading through the various articles, I cannot see anywhere whether the girl was examined or not. There is one note which shows that the victim and her family were happy with the resolution. I can draw no conclusions.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

sometimes what goes in the favour of a criminal is pleading guilty in the first instance and then there is no need to have the victim testisfy. Also the fact she was drinking means she couldn't have given consent and therefore it's rape.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

fuzzywuzzy;1340227 wrote: sometimes what goes in the favour of a criminal is pleading guilty in the first instance and then there is no need to have the victim testisfy. Also the fact she was drinking means she couldn't have given consent and therefore it's rape.

True enough, but how many drunk teenagers do you know of that would stop to sort out the legal ramifications of their behavior?

Whatever happened, there are probably only four, or perhaps five people that really know the whole story.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Societal Issues News”