Overweight Passengers

dchistoryman

Overweight Passengers

Post by dchistoryman »

Whilst inputting to the TSA thread I was struck by this. How come if I go a couple of pounds over my baggage allowance I have paid up to $150 for the privelige someone weighing 250lbs plus pays nothing. I am not skinny (5' 10" and 170lbs) but twice recently I have had to ask flight attendants to move me because the person next to me was spilling over into my seat. On both ocassions they did and lo and behold the larger person ended up with a spare seat and loads of space. No I knwo it will be impossible to try and change this without a ridiculous amount of red tape but it's very annoying. It is also a safety issue, in the vent of anemergency evacuation I can tell you that neither of the individuals I came across could have got out quickly and in all likelehood would have held up other passengers.
koan

Overweight Passengers

Post by koan »

Kevin Smith fuels row over fat plane passengers | Reuters

The airlines do struggle with the issue.
LarsMac

Overweight Passengers

Post by LarsMac »

They will eventually have a scale set up in the floor in front of the check-in counter, and you and all your luggage will be weighed and scanned as you check in.

IF you are over the allotted limit, you will have to pay extra, and it won't matter if it was you, or your luggage that is over.

If you have contraband, you will be vaporized on the spot, and the next potential vic,...ah, passenger can take your place.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Overweight Passengers

Post by flopstock »

I think that airlines should simply need to accommodate the average customer size in a seat size. We have data on everything else, that must be available somewhere. And have it up for revision every ten years like we do census data. maybe do a +10% for coats and clothing, etc...

I don't think that anyone fits comfortably into the seats as they are now. There is zero room between shoulders and forget having your arm down comfortably on an armrest if there is someone in the seat next to you.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

minks

Overweight Passengers

Post by minks »

oh yes and try flying like that for 5 hours when you have been stricken with Ecoli. Argh!!!

I have issues with the overlarge on planes.... they over flow into my seat. I swear to god when an over larger person checks in for the flight they are assessed and red flagged. When a skinny person shows up after... they are automatically placed next to the overlarge person, there is how they balance it all out........ hehehehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Societal Issues News”