Crime and Punishment ?

Bruv

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Bruv »

Video of Judge 'disciplining' his daughter.

Here is the link

Comments ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

I suspect Judge Adams has been set up by disgruntled customers annoyed at his courtroom decisions. While they may be successful they're not necessarily the good guys. They appear to have been trying for quite a while, too. There's a large-scale hate campaign on the Internet going back way before this video was posted. I doubt the signature at the end of the rant, too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1374162 wrote: I suspect Judge Adams has been set up by disgruntled customers annoyed at his courtroom decisions. While they may be successful they're not necessarily the good guys. They appear to have been trying for quite a while, too. There's a large-scale hate campaign on the Internet going back way before this video was posted. I doubt the signature at the end of the rant, too.

Forget who the man is, forget any supposed setups, make a judgement on what your eyes see....................then you can explain why you want to bring other totally unconnected events to the conversation.
YZGI

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by YZGI »

spot;1374162 wrote: I suspect Judge Adams has been set up by disgruntled customers annoyed at his courtroom decisions. While they may be successful they're not necessarily the good guys. They appear to have been trying for quite a while, too. There's a large-scale hate campaign on the Internet going back way before this video was posted. I doubt the signature at the end of the rant, too.

I don't care if he was set up. Anyone who beats their kids in this manner is not only a son of a bitch but a criminal.
Oscar Namechange

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1374159 wrote: Video of Judge 'disciplining' his daughter.

Here is the link

Comments ?

If he's a Judge he should be struck off.

I find even the Mother towering over her pointing distasteful. In my view when dealing with any child, It is the same as dealing with a dog ( although that sounds awful ). You sit the child down the same as you come down to a dogs eye level so as to avoid your body mass being larger than theirs and Instilling Intimidation.

Thank God I had a Father who recognised that as he was 6ft 4 Inches, this was not the way to 'talk' to children and would sit us down to talk through the error of our ways.

To even brandish a belt Is akin to brandishing a stick to a puppy....just vile !!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by K.Snyder »

Seems to me that the computer was placed in what appeared to be the child's room so I sincerely doubt the girl was never allowed to use the internet. She was probably grounded and apart of her punishment was to not use the internet. It also seems to me that the internet can be password protected but I suppose that's a moot point as I'm sure the mere attempt to log on was in violation of the rules...

Having said that, I think the conduct having been displayed in this video was so far above what was necessary in conveying a lesson that it begs for charges of physical and mental abuse. It's obvious these parents have the inability to instill any sense of insight and rationality into their child no matter how broad their intended impact.

Completely irrational and ignorant of any ethical philosophy.
gmc

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by gmc »

It's appalling that is sadistic abuse I hope she was taken in to care and they were arrested. Imagine if she had not been able to let the outside world know what is going on. No child should be terrified of their parent.
Bruv

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Bruv »

I saw this earlier today on another site and have Googled to find out more.

It was filmed in 2004 and has only been released by the daughter recently, according to the reports.

It could be far more involved than that, as the Judge is a bit of a character with enemies.

As far as I am concerned what you see is what you should comment about, not any history the Judge may carry with him.

This blokes an a*seh*le.
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

I haven't the slightest reason, so far, to even think the video shows images of the judge or his family. I do think the background is a necessary component to forming a view. I'm also at a loss to know who was filming what's shown.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1374189 wrote: I saw this earlier today on another site and have Googled to find out more.

It was filmed in 2004 and has only been released by the daughter recently, according to the reports.

It could be far more involved than that, as the Judge is a bit of a character with enemies.

As far as I am concerned what you see is what you should comment about, not any history the Judge may carry with him.

This blokes an a*seh*le.

Perhaps it's only now she feels safe enough and is away from his control as is her mother apparently, she was only sixteen at the time the law still saw her as a minor and remember her father was a judge - who would believe her?
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Ah. Movement...ROCKPORT - Aransas County Court at Law Judge William Adams has spoken to our Andy Liscano about a video the judge's daughter posted on Youtube showing a beating in 2004.

Judge Adams told us, "It happened years ago.. I apologized."

When asked if he thought the conduct in the video was excessive, Judge Adams said, "It's not as bad as it looks on tape."

Judge William Adams Responds To Videotaped Beating | Corpus Christi, TX | KZTV10.com |

There we are then. Now we know. What a prat. Of course he should stand down immediately - he judges family law cases, for goodness' sake.

Congratulations to his daughter for arranging such appropriate revenge, too.
Oscar Namechange

Crime and Punishment ?

spot;1374193 wrote: I haven't the slightest reason, so far, to even think the video shows images of the judge or his family. I do think the background is a necessary component to forming a view. I'm also at a loss to know who was filming what's shown. The Arkansas Police seem to disagree with you thank goodness.

Judge's alleged child beating brings police probe - TODAY News - TODAY.com
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Bruv »

So Spot.............would this man be incarcerated under 'treatment' indefinitely in your brave new world ?
Oscar Namechange

Crime and Punishment ?

Bruv;1374245 wrote: So Spot.............would this man be incarcerated under 'treatment' indefinitely in your brave new world ?

Jeff Wayne The War of the Worlds - Brave New World - YouTube
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1374245 wrote: So Spot.............would this man be incarcerated under 'treatment' indefinitely in your brave new world ?

Has he been criminalized? I've no idea what he's even accused of yet. I thought he'd been referred for police investigation earlier today. What I've been trying to get across is that most people these days are criminals only because there's a law they've been found guilty of breaking, and if that particular law didn't exist they couldn't be described as criminals. One overwhelming category of criminalization is for the possession of any of a wide range of drugs.

Once the stigma of criminalization has been lifted I reckon many people would voluntarily try to improve their lives through self-help groups. You'd not talk of incarcerating the unwell.

None of this applies to the Judge as far as I'm aware - he may have been made unpopular but he's not, as far as I know, broken any law. Has he?
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

I'd say throw him off the court, take his pension and everything he owns and give it to his daughter, and let him try to begin again with nothing other than what his daughter starts him out with. Jail is not necessary for him.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm am shaking with so much anger right now . And I want to know why this man isn't behind bars?

And why the hell is anyone on this forum even discussing what he girl did wrong.....What the effing hell is in your heads????? It doesn't matter if she kicked the dog ...She was not beaten ...beaten is a vowel in this instance ...She was attacked , threatened and humilated and held against her will . There is no real anger in that mans voice, there is no feeling or outright body implication that he has 'lost it' this is a sadistic premeditated attack on a young girl attack, on another human being..

and if you turn the speakers up listen to the conversation outisde the room . ....i believe I heard "You're the woman you take care of it" . Or something to that affect.

That girl is a very very brave girl If that recorder had of been found she may not have been with us today ....Good on ya love have my deepest respect!!!! .
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1374267 wrote: I'm am shaking with so much anger right now . And I want to know why this man isn't behind bars?Because the video only went public last month? How soon do you think it takes the police to investigate a complaint? I think they only started this week because of the volume of calls coming into the local courthouse, I don't think they've had a complaint from the daughter.

Bearing in mind that corporal punishment is legal in Texas and that the adults in the video are the child's parents, I don't see the slightest possibility of the judge being jailed. I'll be very surprised to see him even prosecuted. The revenge his daughter appears to be seeking is that he lose the next election for his job. I think she's quite likely to have achieved that.
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

As I recall, a few years ago a large number of then active FG members approved of corporal punishment as well. What I found interesting was many of those people were opposed to applying that same punishment to pets.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

What I really really wanna know is whether Hizonner turns out to be a church-going practising born-again justified Christian. I so hope he is.
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

Adams certainly fits the profile, doesn't he. He's liberal with the rod, right on values, versed on commandments, as I see it. You never hear of (at least I never have) a person claiming: "but it's the vales of my non-belief in God that convinced me to abuse others."

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

He's in Bible-dominated Texas (not pro-Democrat Godless Arkansas as an earlier post claims). With the video as endorsement he's guaranteed the Republican nomination for Governor if he chooses to run. That's a significant hike up from mere County Judge. Who knows, this week might be the making of the chap. We may yet see that video aired on TV as part of his campaign: Vote Adams for Family Values.
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

Good point. We'll have to see if the conservative media goes on a "ADAMS IS A VICTIM OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA" campaign. That should garner a lot of support. The daughter was helpless enough to boot.

I do wholeheartedly disagree with the daughter that the mother is merely a victim too, she was an adult woman capable of putting an end to the abuse at any time and didn't, she apparently waited for the daughter to become old enough to care for herself before acting.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1374286 wrote: Good point. We'll have to see if the conservative media goes on a "ADAMS IS A VICTIM OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA" campaign. That should garner a lot of support. The daughter was helpless enough to boot.

I do wholeheartedly disagree with the daughter that the mother is merely a victim too, she was an adult woman capable of putting an end to the abuse at any time and didn't, she apparently waited for the daughter to become old enough to care for herself before acting.

One of the features of abuse is the loss of confidence of those subject to it and an inability to see yourself as a victim rather than the cause of the abuse. You hear things like "I provoked him" and "I shouldn't have made him angry". Especially if you happen to believe marriage is for life. It's a kind of brainwashing, Stockholm syndrome is a variation on the theme.

It's right across the social spectrum,this is a well educated middle class family where this is going on not some low life trailer trash.

posted by spot

I haven't the slightest reason, so far, to even think the video shows images of the judge or his family. I do think the background is a necessary component to forming a view. I'm also at a loss to know who was filming what's shown.

It's fairly obvious it's the computer savvy daughter. Why do you always suspect some elaborate conspiracy?

The revenge his daughter appears to be seeking is that he lose the next election for his job. I think she's quite likely to have achieved that.

As a sixteen year old where could she have gone for help in a place where the police would automatically be on the side of the father who is also a judge and when the mother would back up the father? Why assume her motive is revenge?
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

gmc;1374289 wrote: As a sixteen year old where could she have gone for help in a place where the police would automatically be on the side of the father who is also a judge and when the mother would back up the father? Why assume her motive is revenge?

Because that's what the person who released the video on Reddit, who claims to be the daughter and I assume now to be the daughter, says. I wrote "The revenge his daughter appears to be seeking is that he lose the next election for his job", the accompanying text of the original release says "Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His 'judgement' is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter".

As for "Why do you always suspect some elaborate conspiracy", I don't think I did. I merely said that, with just the video and no investigation to go on, it could be anyone. Since then the judge has commented to the local TV station and the situation has consequently changed.
Oscar Namechange

Crime and Punishment ?

gmc;1374289 wrote: One of the features of abuse is the loss of confidence of those subject to it and an inability to see yourself as a victim rather than the cause of the abuse. You hear things like "I provoked him" and "I shouldn't have made him angry". Especially if you happen to believe marriage is for life. It's a kind of brainwashing, Stockholm syndrome is a variation on the theme.

It's right across the social spectrum,this is a well educated middle class family where this is going on not some low life trailer trash.

posted by spot

It's fairly obvious it's the computer savvy daughter. Why do you always suspect some elaborate conspiracy?

As a sixteen year old where could she have gone for help in a place where the police would automatically be on the side of the father who is also a judge and when the mother would back up the father? Why assume her motive is revenge?

Judge William Adams beats disabled daughter Hillary, 16, in YouTube video | Mail Online
K.Snyder

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by K.Snyder »

I don't want to sound as if I would ever side with someone that would discipline their child in the manner this guy did but "Miss Adams said: 'I've experience everything from crying about it to laughing"

Laughing? I'm not so sure how dramatic a situation is when one laughs...Hmmm...

Read more: Judge William Adams beats disabled daughter Hillary, 16, in YouTube video | Mail Online
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1374399 wrote: I don't want to sound as if I would ever side with someone that would discipline their child in the manner this guy did but "Miss Adams said: 'I've experience everything from crying about it to laughing"

Laughing? I'm not so sure how dramatic a situation is when one laughs...Hmmm...

Read more: Judge William Adams beats disabled daughter Hillary, 16, in YouTube video | Mail OnlineI saw her and the mother on Anderson Cooper last evening and she said some interesting things. I'd advise her to remain clear of the media because she thinks she's smarter than she is. There's no question in my mind she used this because her father threatened to cut her off if she didn't get serious about bettering herself job wise, and I also think the mother influenced her decision because of the ongoing custody case of the couples younger child. I don't mind her actions though because that's the price an abusive parent must pay for their wrong-headed decisions.

Adams did what he did and there's no excuse for his actions.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1374400 wrote: I saw her and the mother on Anderson Cooper last evening and she said some interesting things. I'd advise her to remain clear of the media because she thinks she's smarter than she is. There's no question in my mind she used this because her father threatened to cut her off if she didn't get serious about bettering herself job wise, and I also think the mother influenced her decision because of the ongoing custody case of the couples younger child. Rather intuitive of you Ahso! :yh_bigsmi

I can't help but suggest I too feel like there is some conniving going on...What ultimately follows "conniving" would have to be blackmailing but then again we could be wrong...

We could in fact hypothesize and elaborate on Ahso!;1374400 wrote: and I also think the mother influenced her decision because of the ongoing custody case of the couples younger child. I don't mind her actions though because that's the price an abusive parent must pay for their wrong-headed decisions.

Adams did what he did and there's no excuse for his actions. and discuss whether or not a good old fashioned blackmailing is justifiable in this case...Remembering of course she'd waited 7 years to publish the video so perhaps revenge might only be prevalent if anyone would like to explain that...
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1374400 wrote: Adams did what he did and there's no excuse for his actions.Nonsense, it's pure traditional American discipline and nothing but. I'm surprised the thread's not full already of "I called my daddy Sir" and "my parents whupped me regular and I'm not the least bit the worse for it" and "being thrashed very week is what made me the upright citizen you see before you today".
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1374409 wrote: Nonsense, it's pure traditional American discipline and nothing but. I'm surprised the thread's not full already of "I called my daddy Sir" and "my parents whupped me regular and I'm not the least bit the worse for it" and "being thrashed very week is what made me the upright citizen you see before you today".Oh yea, I did forget about "Tough Love", didn't I. Sorry, everyone!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1374409 wrote: Nonsense, it's pure traditional American discipline and nothing but. I'm surprised the thread's not full already of "I called my daddy Sir" and "my parents whupped me regular and I'm not the least bit the worse for it" and "being thrashed very week is what made me the upright citizen you see before you today".There can't be a practical bias toward an issue that has no grey area. People have either been raised with corporal punishment or have not so just like the principle of complementarity no one can rightfully hypothesize what there life would be like if they were raised differently. Speculating how better or worse one's life might have been is equally as irrelevant as suggesting corporal punishment is an automatic death of their psychological integrity.

What's "Nonsense" about "my parents whupped me regular and I'm not the least bit the worse for it" other than the inappropriate implication that "all people that aren't spanked are better people than those that were"?
Ahso!

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Ahso! »

I've just now decided it's: "Tuff, Luv" instead of "tough love".

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

spot;1374272 wrote: Because the video only went public last month? How soon do you think it takes the police to investigate a complaint? I think they only started this week because of the volume of calls coming into the local courthouse, I don't think they've had a complaint from the daughter.

Bearing in mind that corporal punishment is legal in Texas and that the adults in the video are the child's parents, I don't see the slightest possibility of the judge being jailed. I'll be very surprised to see him even prosecuted. The revenge his daughter appears to be seeking is that he lose the next election for his job. I think she's quite likely to have achieved that.

REVENGE????? Are you insane? Are you sick? That's called self protection. REvenge? ...so am I to assume that she was supposed to have this kind of treatment go on forever and ever until her parents matched her up with a man in the future that felt the same way they do about beating women????

Even corporal punishment has it's rules . You don't beat a person into submission and keep beating them . What he has done is abuse severe abuse . An assault.!!! And the world is watching .
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

fuzzywuzzy;1374477 wrote: REVENGE????? Are you insane? Are you sick? That's called self protection.I'm left wondering what bit you've not caught up with. The video's seven years old? She's left home? She's not in the same house any longer? She's safe?

Bearing in mind that corporal punishment is legal in Texas and that the adults in the video are the child's parents, I don't see the slightest possibility of the judge being jailed. What bothers me is that the law there has a statute of limitation on children eventually bringing events before a court, that strikes me as preposterously biased against children. No civilized country would tolerate a restriction like that.
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

It is Judge Adams’ civic responsibility to respond to whatever investigations may result from a revelation of the disciplinary actions resorted to by his former wife and him on the viral video. Those investigations will require answers to many questions raised by the media and public and for which no appropriate forum has been chosen to date.

He is confident the process will be managed in accordance with the law. For the sake of his family, co-workers, and Aransas County officials who must endure the additional work and expense, he wishes that the process not be played out daily on a national stage.

http://www.kristv.com/files/Judge-Adams-statement.pdf

I bet he does, too.

Run for Governor, Judge. This is an opportunity of a lifetime.
K.Snyder

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1374713 wrote: Run for Governor, Judge. This is an opportunity of a lifetime.I would be incredibly surprised if a significant majority didn't feel this video was a display of an overly inappropriate use of corporal punishment.
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1374737 wrote: I would be incredibly surprised if a significant majority didn't feel this video was a display of an overly inappropriate use of corporal punishment.

If it were "an overly inappropriate use of corporal punishment" then it would have been illegal. If it was legal then you can bet your bottom dollar most Texans will vote him into office, they like that sort of firm hand.
fuzzywuzzy

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

there is no difference in that and a stoning/flogging in Iran or one of those far flung places around the earth that America needs to invade and stop the brutality . Hey you're teaching the girl a lesson . *shrugs* Drop a bomb on Texas if they think this is appropriate.
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Judge Adams' pay up to $110,000 as his suspension drags on » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

If I remember correctly, most people in this thread were more critical of the daughter than of the Judge. Are we still of that mind, $110,000 down the line?
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

I'll ask again - most people in this thread were more critical of the daughter than of the Judge. Are we still of that mind? Because that seems to be the view across the US too. The judge appears not to have lost much salary and had a sabbatical, maybe he used it to write a book about the virtues of whipping.

I saw a strange title yesterday, "Gluten For Punishment". I didn't dare look further on the grounds that it might not have been a misprint.

Judge William Adams Reprimanded - Business Insider
YZGI

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by YZGI »

YZGI;1374175 wrote: I don't care if he was set up. Anyone who beats their kids in this manner is not only a son of a bitch but a criminal.

oscar;1374177 wrote: If he's a Judge he should be struck off.

I find even the Mother towering over her pointing distasteful. In my view when dealing with any child, It is the same as dealing with a dog ( although that sounds awful ). You sit the child down the same as you come down to a dogs eye level so as to avoid your body mass being larger than theirs and Instilling Intimidation.

Thank God I had a Father who recognised that as he was 6ft 4 Inches, this was not the way to 'talk' to children and would sit us down to talk through the error of our ways.

To even brandish a belt Is akin to brandishing a stick to a puppy....just vile !!!

K.Snyder;1374180 wrote: Seems to me that the computer was placed in what appeared to be the child's room so I sincerely doubt the girl was never allowed to use the internet. She was probably grounded and apart of her punishment was to not use the internet. It also seems to me that the internet can be password protected but I suppose that's a moot point as I'm sure the mere attempt to log on was in violation of the rules...

Having said that, I think the conduct having been displayed in this video was so far above what was necessary in conveying a lesson that it begs for charges of physical and mental abuse. It's obvious these parents have the inability to instill any sense of insight and rationality into their child no matter how broad their intended impact.

Completely irrational and ignorant of any ethical philosophy.

gmc;1374187 wrote: It's appalling that is sadistic abuse I hope she was taken in to care and they were arrested. Imagine if she had not been able to let the outside world know what is going on. No child should be terrified of their parent.

Bruv;1374189 wrote: I saw this earlier today on another site and have Googled to find out more.

This blokes an a*seh*le.

Ahso!;1374258 wrote: I'd say throw him off the court, take his pension and everything he owns and give it to his daughter, and let him try to begin again with nothing other than what his daughter starts him out with. Jail is not necessary for him.

fuzzywuzzy;1374267 wrote: I'm am shaking with so much anger right now . And I want to know why this man isn't behind bars?

And why the hell is anyone on this forum even discussing what he girl did wrong.....What the effing hell is in your heads????? It doesn't matter if she kicked the dog ...She was not beaten ...beaten is a vowel in this instance ...She was attacked , threatened and humilated and held against her will . There is no real anger in that mans voice, there is no feeling or outright body implication that he has 'lost it' this is a sadistic premeditated attack on a young girl attack, on another human being..

and if you turn the speakers up listen to the conversation outisde the room . ....i believe I heard "You're the woman you take care of it" . Or something to that affect.

That girl is a very very brave girl If that recorder had of been found she may not have been with us today ....Good on ya love have my deepest respect!!!! .

fuzzywuzzy;1374765 wrote: there is no difference in that and a stoning/flogging in Iran or one of those far flung places around the earth that America needs to invade and stop the brutality . Hey you're teaching the girl a lesson . *shrugs* Drop a bomb on Texas if they think this is appropriate.

spot;1403591 wrote: I'll ask again - most people in this thread were more critical of the daughter than of the Judge. Are we still of that mind? Because that seems to be the view across the US too. The judge appears not to have lost much salary and had a sabbatical, maybe he used it to write a book about the virtues of whipping.

I saw a strange title yesterday, "Gluten For Punishment". I didn't dare look further on the grounds that it might not have been a misprint.

Judge William Adams Reprimanded - Business Insider

Are you kidding me? I didn't see anyone taking up for the Judge, or being critical of the daughter.
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

YZGI;1403620 wrote: Are you kidding me? I didn't see anyone taking up for the Judge, or being critical of the daughter.

That's just what they said, it's not what they were thinking.

Okay, I apologize. Many people on other sites were in favour of corporal punishment within the home as an aid to raising children.

The real test is whether Judge Adams is re-elected at the next opportunity, then we'll know which way local opinion regards the issue.

I still think William Adams should be running for vice-President this year for that Romney chap.
Snowfire

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1403656 wrote: That's just what they said, it's not what they were thinking.

Okay, I apologize. Many people on other sites were in favour of corporal punishment within the home as an aid to raising children.

The real test is whether Judge Adams is re-elected at the next opportunity, then we'll know which way local opinion regards the issue.

I still think William Adams should be running for vice-President this year for that Romney chap.

Not only did you apologise but you apologised using a "z", an Americanisation. I think you should apologise again ! It's simply not British. Next thing we know, you'll be missing the "u" out of colour
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1403661 wrote: Not only did you apologise but you apologised using a "z", an Americanisation. I think you should apologise again ! It's simply not British. Next thing we know, you'll be missing the "u" out of colour

I have open - and not for the first time - Fowler's Modern English Usage. You can see the passage I'm looking at by clicking here.

Take a quick skim through and tell me why I can't do as I've done since birth, which is to accept Fowler's authority in all matters pertaining to written English. Who else should I believe? On what grounds is this hypothetical alternative more trustworthy?
Snowfire

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Snowfire »

Strictly speaking you're right. I was being slightly facetious. Being a scholar of pedantry, I thought you would prefer to waive the American preference for the "z"

While certainly not since birth, I have always used the "ise"
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1403664 wrote: Being a scholar of pedantry, I thought you would prefer to waive the American preference for the "z"On the contrary, when in doubt I would tend to follow American usage in any matter pertaining to the use of English. Grammar in particular has degenerated in the Mother Country since the American States were granted independence, but even as far as spelling goes they tend to have retained purer examples. This is typical of any planted colony, as was noted in both Greece and Rome at different times.
Bruv

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by Bruv »

Goddam it Spot you have bastardised my thread and now you continue to bastardise the English language.

It ALL starts with a ZEE here and there, then it's coke and pants and sidewalks and burgers, it is the slow insidious colonialisation of our minds.

Even my PC is complaining of my independent stand
theia

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by theia »

Bruv;1403666 wrote: Goddam it Spot you have bastardised my thread and now you continue to bastardise the English language.

It ALL starts with a ZEE here and there, then it's coke and pants and sidewalks and burgers, it is the slow insidious colonialisation of our minds.

Even my PC is complaining of my independent stand

Mine too...and my one at work
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Crime and Punishment ?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1403666 wrote: It ALL starts with a ZEE here and there, then it's coke and pants and sidewalks and burgersLooking around my desk I can see three cans of Pepsi Max and two of Coca Cola "Not To Be Sold Separately". As for ZEE I scored triple letter points two ways playing that against Theia last week, it's an essential part of my word hoard.

I see disbelief on your face. One moment...

Attached files

Return to “Societal Issues News”