What Do You Do?

Scrat

What Do You Do?

Post by Scrat »

This is quite a pickle. There was a contract with these people, they put in the time and served their community. What do you do when times change and the cost of honoring said agreements becomes debilitating to the community?

Lavish medical benefits for retirees imperil budgets | Local News | The Seattle Times
LarsMac

What Do You Do?

Post by LarsMac »

Unfortunate, to be sure.

The whole pension system that was designed in the mid-twentieth century proved to be a very bad idea, and for decades, such examples have popped up. This town should have seen this coming a long time ago. Many corporations recognized the problem and began changing the system back in the eighties. These guys should have done something back then, but I suspect the city management just kept pushing the problem on to the next term. Now, the whole community suffers the consequences.

Wish I knew the solution.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

What Do You Do?

Post by tude dog »

There is no fair deal. Not for the retirees or taxpayer citizens.

LarsMac pretty much hit the nail on the head. Their situation is anything but isolated.

I only wonder how many more cities will go the route of Stockton, CA: One Of America's Most Miserable Cities Just Got More Miserable.

There is a reason for bankruptcy laws. It's ugly, but often that is the most rational choice.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
halfway

What Do You Do?

Post by halfway »

We need to keep adding "groups" to the list of "entitled" and deserving. This will insure they vote correctly. Someone else will pay for the programs, but we cannot ever elect someone who will take these benefits away. When everyone is on the receiving end, we will further take from the rich and the corporations.

It is moving ahead nicely and as planned. The national media fully takes care of the national agenda.
My Journal of a New Endeavor
Saint_

What Do You Do?

Post by Saint_ »

Scrat;1423880 wrote: This is quite a pickle. There was a contract with these people, they put in the time and served their community. What do you do when times change and the cost of honoring said agreements becomes debilitating to the community?

Lavish medical benefits for retirees imperil budgets | Local News | The Seattle Times

Two things come to mind:

1. Fix the problem with medical expenses. Why are hospitals charging 10,000% markup on medicines and services?

2. Change the system for future retirees, but don't renege on promises to current ones.
Saint_

What Do You Do?

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1423901 wrote:

There is a reason for bankruptcy laws. It's ugly, but often that is the most rational choice.

True enough, and thank goodness that we have them and not Debtor's Prison. But isn't this graph a sign that something is inherently wrong with the U.S. system?

tude dog

What Do You Do?

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1423924 wrote: True enough, and thank goodness that we have them and not Debtor's Prison. But isn't this graph a sign that something is inherently wrong with the U.S. system?

Yup, we are in a recession, depression.

Story concerned medical costs, Top 5 Reasons Why People Go Bankrupt

1. Medical Expenses

A study done at Harvard University indicates that this is the biggest cause of bankruptcy, representing 62% of all personal bankruptcies. One of the interesting caveats of this study shows that 78% of filers had some form of health insurance, thus bucking the myth that medical bills affect only the uninsured.

Fact is, both the workers and county made a bad deal and continued to ignore it. Gee.

Taxpayers don't cover the rest of us in our not so great deals, I wouldn't feel obligated to pay out the yin yang for their gold plated retirement plan.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Scrat

What Do You Do?

Post by Scrat »

I think bankruptcy is best. It's the way to get around this corrupt legacy so many of our "civil servants" have bestowed on us. I wonder if the taxpayers even knew these pensions were in effect.

Return to “Societal Issues News”