Vicious Obituary Pulled

tabby

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by tabby »

Ouch! This scathing obituary has been removed and left some controversy in its wake. Do you think obituaries like this should be published? Should family members be allowed to portray you as they saw you, brutal and cutting to the bone as it may be? Or should obituaries show more respect and decorum for the deceased?

Vicious obituary pulled from RGJ.com - My News 4 - KRNV, Reno, NV

Story behind scathing obituary revealed - My News 4 - KRNV, Reno, NV
AnneBoleyn

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wow. An interesting book or TV movie can be made from this story. Tabby, you never fail to surprise & enlighten me & I am so grateful to you for bringing interesting things to me on a daily basis. Thank you.

As to your question, I have another question. Yes, I'd say off the top of my head that if the writer can be verified as having standing in the deceased's life, ok. But what if another with equal standing had a different opinion? Would there be dueling obituaries? When would this end? So, perhaps no, the obituary should only exist for the barest of details relating to the funeral, the 'in lieu of gifts' type of stuff; just the notification that a death has occurred & get the word out as to what a beast the person was in a different venue.

Not much of an opinion, but as usual from you Tabby, a fabulous question!
YZGI

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by YZGI »

I say tell it like it is. Not everyone is or was a good person.
Snooz

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by Snooz »

I read the obit several days ago but thanks for the link with more info. I absolutely agree with their decision to publish the obit, the bitch deserves much, much worse. I hope she's burning right now.
Bryn Mawr

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Personally, I'd say no - if you've nothing good to say then say nothing in this instance.

If she deserves it then say it to her face whilst she's alive, if she doesn't then saying it when she's dead is evil.
tude dog

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1436041 wrote: Personally, I'd say no - if you've nothing good to say then say nothing in this instance.

If she deserves it then say it to her face whilst she's alive, if she doesn't then saying it when she's dead is evil.

Well said Sir.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Týr

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by Týr »

Anything like that needs saying in public long before the subject of the anger has escaped without feeling it.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
along-for-the-ride

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Týr;1436052 wrote: Anything like that needs saying in public long before the subject of the anger has escaped without feeling it.

I agree.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Snooz

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by Snooz »

I don't. Being able to express that publicly would be incredibly cathartic. I don't agree that everyone with a grievance should write an obituary like that, this was apparently a well documented case that no one can question the historical validity.
Lady J

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by Lady J »

SnoozeAgain;1436054 wrote: I don't. Being able to express that publicly would be incredibly cathartic. I don't agree that everyone with a grievance should write an obituary like that, this was apparently a well documented case that no one can question the historical validity.

Reading the behind the scene, it sounds like the children did file complaints against their mother. In normal circumstances I would say let a person rest in peace but I agree with Snooze. The living now need to live in peace and one way would be to release their anger.

I think for them it would be "healthy" and mom....well she probably doesn't care one way or the other.
tabby

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by tabby »

Then on the flip side there's this one!

William Freddie McCullough Obituary: View William McCullough's Obituary by Savannah Morning News
AnneBoleyn

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by AnneBoleyn »

:-1

Wah! I miss him already! :-1
tabby

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by tabby »

AnneBoleyn;1436328 wrote: :-1

Wah! I miss him already! :-1

:yh_rotfl

I know ... me too!!
tabby

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by tabby »

Here's another memorable one:

fuzzywuzzy

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmmm tough one. My mother had a saying "never speak ill of the dead" . That anger that has been expressed by this womans offspring may be potent but isn't that what a wake is for? To express in private the feelings you had of that person with those who actually knew them as well? I've seen an instance of a toast at a wake with the toasting party applauding "Well thank god he's gone, did anyone take a second look just to make sure?"

I'll admit I've smirked a couple of times on hearing of particular peoples passing. And I don't feel bad about it because as already stated by others they may have deserved what history has said about them. BUT.......in some circumstances it can be the offspring that may be the culprit . "Let sleeping dogs lie"..........as they say.

My tomb stone is going to say "Don't get too excited, this might be my idea of a practical joke". :)
Týr

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by Týr »

fuzzywuzzy;1437323 wrote: My tomb stone is going to say "Don't get too excited, this might be my idea of a practical joke". :)

Hah. I put a poster on my wall: "Forgotten but not gone".
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
fuzzywuzzy

Vicious Obituary Pulled

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

well you are kind of gone if you're forgotten

Return to “Societal Issues News”