Civil rights ?

Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

Watched the 60th anniversary of the 63 march on Washington last night on TV.

Now I see this gentleman doing his utmost in North Dakota.

Strangely enough racists on Stormfront are distancing themselves from him
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

What are they saying on Stormfront? You know I won't go there again. Thanks.
YZGI

Civil rights ?

Post by YZGI »

We should never be surprised when ignorant people do ignorant things.
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1439760 wrote: We should never be surprised when ignorant people do ignorant things.

I wouldn't expect otherwise. That guy looks like a former hippie who tripped once too often & boiled his brains. Nothing intellectual about him.
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1439750 wrote: Watched the 60th anniversary of the 63 march on Washington last night on TV.

63 march in 1953? :thinking:

I take it you mean the march in 1963 where a Dr. Martin Luther King gave his famous "I have a dream" speech. :-6

Anyway, I find it interesting you go from that to a small town in North Dakota, population of like 16 people.

Leith, North Dakota

In all due respect to the fine folk who live there and have to put up with that loon, I think about the thousands of fine folk living on or around Martin Luther King Blvd, Los Angeles.

Maybe just a matter of perspective.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1439755 wrote: What are they saying on Stormfront? You know I won't go there again. Thanks.
I speed read it earlier, and thought they were calling him a self publicist nutter but unless they removed some posts I can't see those posts anymore.

The general consensus is that he has lost a good opportunity by shooting his mouth off too early in the game.
Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1439768 wrote: 63 march in 1953? :thinking:

I take it you mean the march in 1963 where a Dr. Martin Luther King gave his famous "I have a dream" speech. :-6

It is my mathmatics that are flawed not my thinking.

Calling a boulevard after a dead african American in Los Angeles doesn't solve the creeping problems in Leith, the two things are only remotely related.
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1439793 wrote: It is my mathmatics that are flawed not my thinking.

Calling a boulevard after a dead african American in Los Angeles doesn't solve the creeping problems in Leith, the two things are only remotely related.

I don't think they're related at all. Strawman.
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1439793 wrote: It is my mathmatics that are flawed

No biggy Bud.

Bruv;1439793 wrote: not my thinking.

OK

Bruv;1439793 wrote: Calling a boulevard after a dead african American in Los Angeles doesn't solve the creeping problems in Leith, the two things are only remotely related.

Thank you, just as if the, uh 50th anniversary thingy had anything directly related to Leigh ND.

I grew up in Los Angeles and knew better than walk along or near MLK Blvd, especially after dark. I would advise thel same when visiting an any major city with a MLK road.

So there is a story of a city, Leigh, ND with zero crime while ignoring crime all over the nation.

Go figure.
Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1439801 wrote:

I grew up in Los Angeles and knew better than walk along or near MLK Blvd, especially after dark. I would advise the same when visiting an any major city with a MLK road.

So there is a story of a city, Leigh, ND with zero crime while ignoring crime all over the nation.

Go figure.
I was linking them on the basis that although 50 years have passed, the likes of Craig Cobb and your good self still react to colour illogically.

The logic according to some is the high percentage of blacks jailed in the USA is because blacks carry a criminal gene.
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1439803 wrote: I was linking them on the basis that although 50 years have passed, the likes of Craig Cobb and your good self still react to colour illogically.

Wonderful, you linking me with that Cobb guy.:-2

Bruv;1439803 wrote: The logic according to some is the high percentage of blacks jailed in the USA is because blacks carry a criminal gene.

OK fine, can't speak for those who believe such things.
Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1439806 wrote: Wonderful, you linking me with that Cobb guy.:-2
Not me, it was you that brought up the many dangerous MLK thoroughfares in the US, they have a high black population that you feel uncomfortable with due to the suggestion you would be subject to crime...............my apologies if I read that wrong.

OK fine, can't speak for those who believe such things.
So.....why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv: "why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?"

T.D. is not wrong to take precautions on any street with that name, or Marcus Garvey, or Malcolm X, etc. These streets are always named in the poorest & most crime ridden areas almost exclusively black neighborhoods. It's pandering more than honoring.
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1439821 wrote: Not me, it was you that brought up the many dangerous MLK thoroughfares in the US, they have a high black population that you feel uncomfortable with due to the suggestion you would be subject to crime...............my apologies if I read that wrong.

I should have limited the MLK remark to Los Angeles and Chicago. Los Angeles because I lived there most all my life and am familiar with its history of high murder rate. Chicago because of my interest in its high murder rate of recent years. Chicago took the title of murder capital from Los Angeles.

There are other high crime areas of Los Angeles I steer clear of. East Los Angeles, Latino gangs.

North Hills, lived there in the early 70's. It was low rent trash then and with the help of drug dealing has only downhill since.

I deal in reality. I realize that the places I avoid are mainly populated by decent people. I feel bad for those folk because in my life had to experience some of that life. Makes me wonder why the hell they stay there.

Bruv;1439821 wrote: So.....why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?

I misspoke. I keep clear both day and night.

Actually it wasn't all that hard for me to avoid South Central LA or East LA as I didn't live near either place. Distance of 30-40 miles or so. For like 3 years I did work in East LA.

North Hills was like 4-5 miles away. I planed my life such as I would have no reason to ever be there.

There are other places, to many to list here I would avoid for any number of reasons.

In reality though, the scum drive cars and have no problem spreading their filth.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439828 wrote: Bruv: "why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?"

T.D. is not wrong to take precautions on any street with that name, or Marcus Garvey, or Malcolm X, etc. These streets are always named in the poorest & most crime ridden areas almost exclusively black neighborhoods. It's pandering more than honoring.

That's not accurate.Streets named after Martin Luther King, Jr. can be found in many cities of the United States and in nearly every major metropolis in America. There are also a number of other countries that have honored King, including Italy and Israel. The number of streets named after King is increasing every year, and about 70% of these streets are in Southern states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Texas. King's home state of Georgia had the most, with 75 streets as of 2001;[1] this had increased to 105 as of 2006.[2]

As of 2003, there were over 600 American cities that had named a street after King.[1] By 2004, this number had grown to 650, according to NPR.[3] In 2006, Derek Alderman, a cultural geographer at East Carolina University, reported the number had increased to 730, with only 11 states in the country without a street named after King.[2]

The following is a list of prominent streets named after Martin Luther King Jr.

To name just two.Akron, Ohio

The OH-59 freeway in downtown Akron, formerly the Akron Innerbelt, is now the Martin Luther King Jr. Expressway. Also, a part of OH-59 just after this expressway ends is known as Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Martin Luther King Drive is a major crosstown artery in Cincinnati. It connects the west side of the city to the east, running through several historic uptown neighborhoods. It will open in 2015.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_st ... r_King,_Jr.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Right, Ahso! I was speaking of NYC's 5 boroughs. Sorry.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1439832 wrote: I should have limited the MLK remark to Los Angeles and Chicago. Los Angeles because I lived there most all my life and am familiar with its history of high murder rate. Chicago because of my interest in its high murder rate of recent years. Chicago took the title of murder capital from Los Angeles.

There are other high crime areas of Los Angeles I steer clear of. East Los Angeles, Latino gangs.

North Hills, lived there in the early 70's. It was low rent trash then and with the help of drug dealing has only downhill since.

I deal in reality. I realize that the places I avoid are mainly populated by decent people. I feel bad for those folk because in my life had to experience some of that life. Makes me wonder why the hell they stay there.

I misspoke. I keep clear both day and night.

Actually it wasn't all that hard for me to avoid South Central LA or East LA as I didn't live near either place. Distance of 30-40 miles or so. For like 3 years I did work in East LA.

North Hills was like 4-5 miles away. I planed my life such as I would have no reason to ever be there.

There are other places, to many to list here I would avoid for any number of reasons.

In reality though, the scum drive cars and have no problem spreading their filth.Some of them also have internet access, apparently.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Civil rights ?

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1439835 wrote: Some of them also have internet access, apparently.

Are you saying you dispute that there are places to avoid?
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1439843 wrote: Are you saying you dispute that there are places to avoid?Is that what I highlighted in the quote? Surely, I said that scum also have no problem spreading their filth via the internet. Was that not clear?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Civil rights ?

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1439846 wrote: Is that what I highlighted in the quote? Surely, I said that scum also have no problem spreading their filth via the internet. Was that not clear?

It is now.
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post

Are you saying you dispute that there are places to avoid?

Is that what I highlighted in the quote? Surely, I said that scum also have no problem spreading their filth via the internet. Was that not clear?

Clearly directed at me.

ForumGarden General Rules

1.General Posting Rules:

1.0 Be Civil. If there was just one rule, this would be it. ForumGarden is not here to be your personal battlefield. The Golden Rule applies. People who embark on personal attacks or are unable to comment on the CONTENT but instead go after the poster are not welcome. ForumGarden is a place where friends gather. If you are unable to cope with a friendly and supportive atmosphere, then please leave. Friendliness counts and it will determine whether or not you have an account here. Draconian rules? If you are a non-civil trouble-maker, I'm sure you'll think so! For all other friends, welcome!

(See 1.0) 1.1 No "Flaming": Please do not post any messages that harrass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

Ya think? So you're the scum referred to in your post? Maybe we should define 'scum' in this context. Since you were the first to use the term, I'll allow you to do the defining.

Go for it!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

Civil rights ?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I don't have a problem when people want to "live with their own" But when they have to ask what a white woman is doing with a black man then ......well........if it was me I'd probably give quite an explicit answer. LOL LOL LOL
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1439858 wrote: Clearly directed at me.

ForumGarden General Rules

1.General Posting Rules:

1.0 Be Civil. If there was just one rule, this would be it. ForumGarden is not here to be your personal battlefield. The Golden Rule applies. People who embark on personal attacks or are unable to comment on the CONTENT but instead go after the poster are not welcome. ForumGarden is a place where friends gather. If you are unable to cope with a friendly and supportive atmosphere, then please leave. Friendliness counts and it will determine whether or not you have an account here. Draconian rules? If you are a non-civil trouble-maker, I'm sure you'll think so! For all other friends, welcome!

(See 1.0) 1.1 No "Flaming": Please do not post any messages that harrass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest.

I believe I've already asked you nicely to not be a crybaby. No one was calling you scum, maybe it's your conscience telling you not to call other people scum.
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1439864 wrote: I believe I've already asked you nicely to not be a crybaby. No one was calling you scum, maybe it's your conscience telling you not to call other people scum.

I believe I answered you that I don't have to put up with his name calling. To old for this nonsense.

I have had it with him. I avoid him, but he seems, from day one determined to be a pest.

No way can I stop him from stalking me here. Considering most of what he says is not well thought out it is easy to just ignore him.

As far as calling murderers, rapists, robbers etc. scum, I am only bothered there is not a more appropriate term to convey my disgust and hatred towards such folk.

It is one thing on this site to effectively ridicule another's argument, how one came to whatever conclusion etc., I expect that, live for it.

I come here expecting to be challenged, and I got it in spades.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1439871 wrote: I believe I answered you that I don't have to put up with his name calling.

I have had it with him. I avoid him, but he seems, from day one determined to be a pest.

No way can I stop him from stalking me here. Considering most of what he says is not well thought out it is easy to just ignore him.

As far as calling murderers, rapists, robbers etc. scum, I am only bothered there is not a more appropriate term to convey my disgust and hatred towards such folk.

It is one thing on this site to effectively ridicule another's argument, how one came to whatever conclusion etc., I expect that, live for it.

I come here expecting to be challenged, and I got it in spades.So what you're saying then is that you avoid any street, regardless of its name, that there might be any rapist, murderers, robbers, etc.? Do you check out every resident of every block before you walk on it?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The problem is when you say scum you are not defining them as above. It appears that you are in general calling certain people who live in certain areas as scum. It appears all the people who live there are covered by the same blanket.

Our tribe (I love when you say that) should be immune to name-calling by now. I believe you not only can ignore it, I believe you should learn to accurately describe just who you are calling "scum" & "feral", etc by using a few more key strokes, else you are being too vague & you are allowing others to fill in the blanks.
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1439872 wrote: So what you're saying then is that you avoid any street, regardless of its name, that there might be any rapist, murderers, robbers, etc.? Do you check out every resident of every block before you walk on it?

Ahso! anyone who goes around anywhere should be very careful of what/who is around them. Not to do so is stupid. And to be extra-careful in high crime areas? Worse than stupid, suicidal. Nothing wrong or racist in that, it's survival. I always am aware of my surroundings wherever & whenever I am anywhere.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439876 wrote: Ahso! anyone who goes around anywhere should be very careful of what/who is around them. Not to do so is stupid. And to be extra-careful in high crime areas? Worse than stupid, suicidal. Nothing wrong or racist in that, it's survival. I always am aware of my surroundings wherever & whenever I am anywhere.Seriously Anne, It's not necessary to lecture me on street safety. I'm a 57 year old father of five and grandfather of two. Just allow me to engage TD on what he's said and cease trying to mediate. Otherwise, If you've got something of substance to add, please do.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

You're just pissed that I'm saying what you don't want to hear Ahso! I'm not trying to mediate anything, just stating my opinion when & where I want to.

5 kids? That's a lot of kids.

Anyhow, what you are saying, or the way you are saying it, makes it appear it is racist or wrong to care about personal safety. It isn't. & women generally know that as well or better than men.

I remember TD telling a story that when he goes to fish he brings his gun because there was a murder nearby. In my mind, being in a lonely rural area is, or can be, extremely life-threatening & because it's America, he is right to bring his gun & in that situation I think I would too.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

Good for you, Anne.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thank you. I know you're being sarcastic but I also know, or think I know (maybe it's my fantasy) that you're a lot better than what you're currently projecting.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439886 wrote: Thank you. I know you're being sarcastic but I also know, or think I know (maybe it's my fantasy) that you're a lot better than what you're currently projecting.No I'm not, Anne, what you see is what you get. For the record, I like myself just fine, as do others, thank you. Will you now just stop derailing the thread?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I like you too. The thread may go on other courses, but it is Bruv's thread & therefore up to him as to whether *I* derailed it.
gmc

Civil rights ?

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1439750 wrote: Watched the 60th anniversary of the 63 march on Washington last night on TV.

Now I see this gentleman doing his utmost in North Dakota.

Strangely enough racists on Stormfront are distancing themselves from him

That march took place in a capiltal city named after a white slave owner. I like to believe the currents and tides of history is against bigots and racists of all kinds. Passing rats turds in the sewers of life.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439828 wrote: Bruv: "why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?"

T.D. is not wrong to take precautions on any street with that name, or Marcus Garvey, or Malcolm X, etc. These streets are always named in the poorest & most crime ridden areas almost exclusively black neighborhoods. It's pandering more than honoring.This is about the five NYC boroughs? You honestly think TD was referring to NY in the post you're referring to? Maybe you should read and reply more carefully.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439889 wrote: I like you too. The thread may go on other courses, but it is Bruv's thread & therefore up to him as to whether *I* derailed it.This has nothing to do with like or dislike, Anne, get off that bit. You're a sloppy poster, that's all.

You honestly think that the definition of 'derail' is dependent on how the OP author defines it on the fly? No Anne, that's not how it works.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc;1439890 wrote: That march took place in a capiltal city named after a white slave owner. I like to believe the currents and tides of history is against bigots and racists of all kinds. Passing rats turds in the sewers of life.

Yes, those lovely structures were built by SLAVE labor. That should be made really clear to everyone.
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1439893 wrote: This has nothing to do with like or dislike, Anne, get off that bit. You're a sloppy poster, that's all.

You honestly think that the definition of 'derail' is dependent on how the OP author defines it on the fly? No Anne, that's not how it works.

Oh, so now you think you can bug me? That's a laugh. I've faced down some really life-threatening people & situations in my life. Try someone else.
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1439891 wrote: This is about the five NYC boroughs? You honestly think TD was referring to NY in the post you're referring to? Maybe you should read and reply more carefully.

He was referring to what he knew, as was I.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439895 wrote: Oh, so now you think you can bug me? That's a laugh. I've faced down some really life-threatening people & situations in my life. Try someone else.Pot/Kettle

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1439897 wrote: Pot/Kettle

Truth in that. Our politics are more the same than different. I surely agree more with you on issues than I do TD.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439894 wrote: Yes, those lovely structures were built by SLAVE labor. That should be made really clear to everyone.What's this Anne, you think you've added substance to the thread by agreeing with a post? Try adding something that advances the conversation. that's what forums are.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1439898 wrote: Truth in that. Our politics are more the same than different. I surely agree more with you on issues than I do TD.I couldn't care less. That's not why I do this - for others to agree with me. This this about uncovering the covered for me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

Sigh...................

My thread was meant to show how despite the passing of time from that landmark event, there are still people who are stuck in a time warp.

I understand that some areas are dangerous, many are..........'ethnic' areas, it might be Turks in Germany, Algerians in France, in the US it's Latinos and Blacks.

I got the impression that Tude was lumping some black areas as problem areas, because......they are black....areas.

I think it is more complicated than that...........thats all.
Ahso!

Civil rights ?

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1439871 wrote: Considering most of what he says is not well thought out it is easy to just ignore him.Then challenge me and show me my errors instead of just complaining. I've been incorrect plenty of times, almost anyone who know me can attest to that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

Civil rights ?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bruv;1439901 wrote: Sigh...................

My thread was meant to show how despite the passing of time from that landmark event, there are still people who are stuck in a time warp.

I understand that some areas are dangerous, many are..........'ethnic' areas, it might be Turks in Germany, Algerians in France, in the US it's Latinos and Blacks.

I got the impression that Tude was lumping some black areas as problem areas, because......they are black....areas.

I think it is more complicated than that...........that's all.

I knew where you were coming from Bruv. But I also know where Tude is coming from too. Humans tend to "group" I guess and become very insular under a banner of oppression or ill conceived ideologies. I think (and Tude can correct me if I'm wrong) was saying it's across the board.

Lets face it......these days if I showed up a the local country club, patrons would be asking "Does she 'belong' here?" (Just between you and me I'd bloody well hope not.) And may use violence to extract me from their presence. black/white, rich/poor, girl guide/boy scout. Everybody groups .

I think Tude is correct in his meaning and comparison if I'm reading him right. Extremes can be on both sides of the post. :)
tude dog

Civil rights ?

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1439901 wrote: Sigh...................

I think it is more complicated than that...........thats all.

I think Anne had a point in that I am not always that clear in expressing what I mean. Have to consider that everyone knows me or what I am about.
Bruv

Civil rights ?

Post by Bruv »

So Sheila..........you are saying even your good self has 'issues', I am not knocking it just commenting on it, I have said despite the fact I am married to an 'ethnic lady' I think I still have my own 'issues'

If nice,open, accepting people like you and me have built in prejudices, what chance have the lesser mortals :thinking:
AnneBoleyn

Civil rights ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1439909 wrote: I think Anne had a point in that I am not always that clear in expressing what I mean. Have to consider that everyone knows me or what I am about.

I think you mean Doesn't know you or what you are about.

Return to “Societal Issues News”