Global Warming: Fact orFfiction? Or a bit of both?

Political photo parodies, jokes, and more!
Dorcha

Post by Dorcha »

What is the truth behind global warming? Is it natural and part of a natural cycle, or is it caused by humans. But aren’t humans part of the natural world, too? Is this what it will come to ...?

Soaptown Reporter Date: Today

A Plague Of People

A respectable crown gathered at Soaptown’s Town Hall yesterday evening to listen to Dr Smallbrain (of the Department of Impossible Ideas), give a lecture on the causes of climate change.

In Dr Smallbrain’s opinion, one of the major causes of the heating up of the Earth is human activity.

“Every action of the human body generates heat: walking, holding and conveying things with the hands, and, above all, talking. If all the people of the world stopped talking, the temperature of the Earth would drop by almost ten percent.”

The ideal situation, of course, he allowed, would be for people to die, but he expected a lot of short-sighted opposition from Pro-Life Groups on this issue. The trouble was that we were too comfortable with life. Governments could play their parts by persuading people to adapt a more fatal outlook. If the whole world could be persuaded to die, the emission of greenhouses gasses would at once fall to almost nil.

He quoted a study by Philim Dire, R.E.A.L, T.O.T.A.L., L.O.O.P.Y., who has studied those problems for over sixty years. Professor Dire has become convinced that the whole human race is a plague, that it is, in fact, the greatest and most dangerous plague that has ever assaulted the planet. He has unearthed 90 percent conclusive proof that the Earth was a well-balanced, ecological entity, happily free-spinning its way through space, until human beings appeared. In little over 1,000,000 years their activity has so decimated the planet that it is now in danger of becoming another barren world like Mars. If humans are not contained and eradicated as soon as possible, there was a real danger that they could spread to other planets, and, eventually even to the stars.

“We have to ask ourselves,” Professor Dire has said, “if we could take the responsibility for infecting the whole galaxy.”

This reporter sampled the reactions of the audience afterwards.

Most indicated that they would be quite willing to infect the whole universe, and any parallel universes, that might exist. A sizable minority admitted that they would willingly eradicate themselves if the government suggested it. There were also a few willing to volunteer to eradicate others.

A spokesman for the government said that they were monitoring the situation. A committee had been employed to select a committee to further monitor the situation. Based on the findings of that committee, another committee would be employed to recommend the employment of a Think Tank which would be expected to deliver recommendations of the actions to be taken (if any). The government would then study those recommendations and make their decision known in due course. They acknowledged that the situation was urgent.
spot

Post by spot »

That's such an inappropriate use of "decimated".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Dorcha

Post by Dorcha »

spot;1338223 wrote: That's such an inappropriate use of "decimated".

Well, I meant the killing off of a large selection of life forms not human, causing a possible ecological meltdown (which I obviously don’t think will happen). If the word applies only to people, then it is, of course, inappropriate. But I think it can be applied to other life forms.
spot

Post by spot »

Dorcha;1338234 wrote: Well, I meant the killing off of a large selection of life forms not human, causing a possible ecological meltdown (which I obviously don’t think will happen). If the word applies only to people, then it is, of course, inappropriate. But I think it can be applied to other life forms.

The word applies only to one tenth. Or at least I'm fighting a one-man crusade to revert to that previously sacrosanct notion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Dorcha;1338234 wrote: Well, I meant the killing off of a large selection of life forms not human, causing a possible ecological meltdown (which I obviously don’t think will happen). If the word applies only to people, then it is, of course, inappropriate. But I think it can be applied to other life forms.

I don't know if t has to do with "Global Warming" or not, but I have been on parts of the world where that "ecological meltdown" has happened, and it has been due to human activity.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Dorcha

Post by Dorcha »

Spot;1338234 wrote: The word applies only to one tenth. Or at least I'm fighting a one-man crusade to revert to that previously sacrosanct notion.

Ah, I understand you now Spot. But the meaning of words change over the decades. The word decimate is now accepted as meaning doing widespread damage. For instance try calling someone (who is not homosexual) "gay" and meaning they are carefree and merry, and see what the reaction will be. And again if the use of “decimate” was restricted to its original meaning of “kill every tenth man”, how many times would it be used in the modern world. I suspect not at all.
spot

Post by spot »

Words that obviously derive from a fixed meaning in another language shouldn't drift off to a new meaning which contradicts the original. Gay doesn't fall into that category but decimate does. It contrasts with eliminate, annihilate, eradicate. Why take decimate out of the set of deci-words which all refer to a factor of ten like decibel and decimal? It has a regular application in discussing several areas of history if nothing else. There's always a more universally precise word to mean widespread damage. The trouble with saying it's now accepted as meaning to do widespread damage is that it's also accepted elsewhere as meaning to utterly destroy. Any new sense is at best vague and confusing. Perhaps devastate would cover your meaning. I suspect the abuse of decimate originated from people confusing those two words.
Dorcha

Post by Dorcha »

All right, you old pedantic. I take your point. Are you the one who gave me the bird? Maybe I don’t go to the dictionary for the absolute meaning of every word I use, but use most of them in the context I’ve heard and seen them written by other people throughout my life. But I would prefer not to have birds thrown at me.

I’d change the thing now, if I could, but there doesn’t seem to be a way of editing on this forum.
spot

Post by spot »

I am unaware of this bird to which you refer. I suspect it may be a derisive gesture in which case no, that would not be good form.

Return to “Political Humor Satire”