my mom

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

Mom has had Altzmeimers now for over 10 years..........she is in a beautiful nursing home with 24/7 care, she eats all of her meals in the dining room and eats all of her snacks and the goodies we bring in for her.

She does not know anymore who I am, that happened around 2 years ago, and it killed me.

She for the most now is out of it..........she can not comprehend anything anymore.

I now must bring up all conversation and she will smile and say yes or no........but she will not remember what you asked her, even 15 seconds later..........I go for me, I know she does not know who I am, but I know I have been there, sitting with my mom.

This disease is dreadful, it eats up your brain and takes away all memories and challenges your brain everytime someone says something to her. Mom has no patience or even knows what patience is, she strikes out at me because she is so confused and non-coherant.

I cried today beside you mom, I had asked you what you had for breakfast............you screamed back at me and told me to go away!

I don't think my pain, hurt and madness will ever leave.

:(
Life is just to short for drama.
Carolly

my mom

Post by Carolly »

Odie;968512 wrote: Mom has had Altzmeimers now for over 10 years..........she is in a beautiful nursing home with 24/7 care, she eats all of her meals in the dining room and eats all of her snacks and the goodies we bring in for her.

She does not know anymore who I am, that happened around 2 years ago, and it killed me.

She for the most now is out of it..........she can not comprehend anything anymore.

I now must bring up all conversation and she will smile and say yes or no........but she will not remember what you asked her, even 15 seconds later..........I go for me, I know she does not know who I am, but I know I have been there, sitting with my mom.

This disease is dreadful, it eats up your brain and takes away all memories and challenges your brain everytime someone says something to her. Mom has no patience or even knows what patience is, she strikes out at me because she is so confused and non-coherant.

I cried today beside you mom, I had asked you what you had for breakfast............you screamed back at me and told me to go away!

:(Must break your heart it really must.......dunno what to say.....except your "real" mother loves you and you must always remember that:-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Patsy Warnick

my mom

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oh, you need to be so very strong..

Understand she (mom) doesn't know - she doesn't mean what's said.

Do you take old pictures to show her from time to time?

Tell her stories - current events

jokes - make her laugh & interact alittle.

I'm sure you've done most everything.

I suppose all you can do - is what your doing

just spend time with her and pray there's a medical miracle to relieve thousands from this mental jail...

Patsy
chonsigirl

my mom

Post by chonsigirl »

:-4 Remember her as she was, this is very hard for you. She cannot help that her memory has forgotten you.

For helpful advice, this is what I suggest: (my husband doesn't have Alzheimer's, but memory loss, so he doesn't remember me all the time, or really who I am, mom or wife)

Make you visits short but meaningful. Limit them in time to 15-30 minutes if you need to.. Make them at the same time of the day if possible, so the cyclical nature of this might be recognized in some way by her, just like her physical schedule of eating.

Do something while there with her-a walk in the garden, push her wheelchair if she is in one up and down the halls, or read to her from a book you remember she once enjoyed. Do something, and on the days she is reluctant to do something, make your visit short and try again the next day. (think of young children, as we train them. Yes, she is grown, but routine and knowing something is going to happen again can work, I have done it with my husband when they told me to institutionalize him forever. )

Do bring a photo with you, maybe just one person in the photo. It will be less for her to think about. You can show it to her, tell her it's you, and just put it up on the mirror or something beside her bed. You can refer to it once a day or so, but not a whole bunch. It will overtax her mind. (yes, this can work, I retrained my husband's mind to remember my children, took about 1 1/2 years, he does not know their names, just who they are)

Short term memory will not exist much for her, so do not ask too many questions about what she ate, who came for the last visit, etc. She will not remember, and it will agitate her.

Come in smiling, and go out smiling. Yes, you want to cry, it is hard not to. But cry at home, or in the car, it will only upset the situation more.

When she has a negative response to you, oh it is so hurtful. Do not hold it against her, although it is a burden you must always bear. The next visit put it out of your mind, and start again with something positive.

I will remember you both in my prayers. It is a hard course for you to follow, but one you are more than capable of doing with your kind heart. Do not take my long post as a criticism, oh my no. I feel very badly you must suffer this way. I wish for none to experience these things life gives us, that we did not ask for. Please PM me on those days that are hard, I am here and will listen because I walk along a similar pathway.:-4
CARLA

my mom

Post by CARLA »

Odie Carolly said it best. I started out as a Volunteer at out local Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association 17 years ago answering phone and helping families, and those with the disease deal with it's devasting path. It is an awful disease that I hope they find a cure for soon. You are doing all you can do its up to God now. :yh_hugs Contact your local chapter and find a support group they are wonderful.

[QUOTE]Must break your heart it really must.......dunno what to say.....except your "real" mother loves you and you must always remember that[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

my mom

Post by along-for-the-ride »

If there is a support group in your area for folks who have family members with Alzeimers, check it out. You need to know you are not alone and get the understanding and support that you need.

Here's a hug for you............and your mom.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

thank you so much everyone, your words of guidance, wisdom and hope have helped me alot.

I am never made 'at her', I am mad at what disease has made her into!

This is not MY mom. Mom was my best friend, my entire life, most woman have girlfriends, mime was my mom...........I no longer have my best friend, I see her, I sit with and talk to her, we go for short walks, this time, my arm on hers, I kiss her goodbye but she no longer is my mom. My mom went away a long time ago.....it just is so unbearable, I want my mom back.

just had to get my visit off my chest today, some visits are better than others, but not many anymore.
Trunk Monkey

my mom

Post by Trunk Monkey »

My Mother-In-Law who was the greatest giving person in the world came down with Alzeimers. I was closer to her than my own mother. Her name was Sarah and up until this awful disease hit her at the age of 77, she was skiing, golfing, driving, and always smiling. Sarah had nothing but would give you the shirt off her back if you asked for it. When she went into the nursing home my husband couldn't understand why she just couldn't remember his name. It killed me to visit and listen to her asking him "who are you?" They were very close and I would tell him to just answer to any name she called him. The sad part was she would always ask me (PJ) by name why is so and so upset? I would just smile and tell her he's upset because I spent way to much money that day. The morning she passed away, hubby and I were there and she said "PJ kiddo, I'll see you when I see you." She closed her eyes and went to sleep with the angels that day. I know hubby will see her to one day and she will call to him by name and ask if PJ is still spending to much money. Odie, be strong like Sarah was and remember one day you will meet again and all things will be the way they used to be :-4
Carolly

my mom

Post by Carolly »

Odie;968626 wrote: thank you so much everyone, your words of guidance, wisdom and hope have helped me alot.

I am never made 'at her', I am mad at what disease has made her into!

This is not MY mom. Mom was my best friend, my entire life, most woman have girlfriends, mime was my mom...........I no longer have my best friend, I see her, I sit with and talk to her, we go for short walks, this time, my arm on hers, I kiss her goodbye but she no longer is my mom. My mom went away a long time ago.....it just is so unbearable, I want my mom back.

just had to get my visit off my chest today, some visits are better than others, but not many anymore.If it helps you.....well you post here as much as you like.....sometimes even our own words can help.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

Trunk Monkey;968633 wrote: My Mother-In-Law who was the greatest giving person in the world came down with Alzeimers. I was closer to her than my own mother. Her name was Sarah and up until this awful disease hit her at the age of 77, she was skiing, golfing, driving, and always smiling. Sarah had nothing but would give you the shirt off her back if you asked for it. When she went into the nursing home my husband couldn't understand why she just couldn't remember his name. It killed me to visit and listen to her asking him "who are you?" They were very close and I would tell him to just answer to any name she called him. The sad part was she would always ask me (PJ) by name why is so and so upset? I would just smile and tell her he's upset because I spent way to much money that day. The morning she passed away, hubby and I were there and she said "PJ kiddo, I'll see you when I see you." She closed her eyes and went to sleep with the angels that day. I know hubby will see her to one day and she will call to him by name and ask if PJ is still spending to much money. Odie, be strong like Sarah was and remember one day you will meet again and all things will be the way they used to be :-4

I am trying to be strong, mom never noticed the tears strolling down my face, she was in la la land, it just angers me to see her react that way to me, she has done this before, but not as intense, she has no idea she reacted this way nor does she even know who I am...............

It's just the idea that its my mom and she reacts this way to me.

She was filled with anger and rage, which is part of the disease, just hard to ever see her this way............
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

Carolly;968654 wrote: If it helps you.....well you post here as much as you like.....sometimes even our own words can help.

thanks Carolly! I really felt stupid when I first posted, it was a quick decision thought, just having to get something off your back..........and I have been known in my life to jump first and think about it later.........not a good trait in life!

But, after all of your lovely comments, it really did make me feel so much better!

Mike, (hubby) trys to understand me, but keeps saying, Joan its the disease, its not your mom talking that way to you, but tis hard to make him understand.............his family has never been close.
mrsK

my mom

Post by mrsK »

Odie;968512 wrote: Mom has had Altzmeimers now for over 10 years..........she is in a beautiful nursing home with 24/7 care, she eats all of her meals in the dining room and eats all of her snacks and the goodies we bring in for her.

It is a shocking thing to watch someone you love change before your eyes.

Try to remember she can't help it sweetie,she really can't.

Love to you:-4:-4
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Kathy Ellen

my mom

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Odie:-4

I love everyones advice and wish that I had friends here like we do now. I especially loved Chonsi's advice because it's the best way to handle things.

My Mom also had alzheimers and I lived with her for 2 years until she passed. It was an awful experience but one that I will always cherish. I guess the most hurtful thing that happened was when I realized that she didn't know me. I was devistated......I finally asked her if she knew who I was ******holding my breath*****. She looked at me quite puzzled and honestly and said, "you know, I don't know who you are, but I do know that I love you. You are either my sister that I love, or my mother that I love, or the awful woman who keeps cleaning the house and cooking. Do you know that I throw out all of that damn food when she's not looking?":wah::wah::wah:.

When I finally realized that there was nothing else that I could do only accept her demise I took things lightly , decided to cherish every second with her, laughed at all of her antics, and we got along great.

It's a hard road you're on Odie and I'll be there if you want to chat...we can tell some funny stories. You have to look at all the memories you're having right now.

Stay strong and know that she loves you...she just doesn't remember. Cherish and love her all that you can.

She was there for you when you came into this world, and you'll be there for her when she leaves this world. Sending you lots of strength and love Odie.

YOU ARE A STEEL MAGNOLIA ODIE.

Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;968859 wrote: Hi Odie:-4

I love everyones advice and wish that I had friends here like we do now. I especially loved Chonsi's advice because it's the best way to handle things.

My Mom also had alzheimers and I lived with her for 2 years until she passed. It was an awful experience but one that I will always cherish. I guess the most hurtful thing that happened was when I realized that she didn't know me. I was devistated......I finally asked her if she knew who I was ******holding my breath*****. She looked at me quite puzzled and honestly and said, "you know, I don't know who you are, but I do know that I love you. You are either my sister that I love, or my mother that I love, or the awful woman who keeps cleaning the house and cooking. Do you know that I throw out all of that damn food when she's not looking?":wah::wah::wah:.

When I finally realized that there was nothing else that I could do only accept her demise I took things lightly , decided to cherish every second with her, laughed at all of her antics, and we got along great.

It's a hard road you're on Odie and I'll be there if you want to chat...we can tell some funny stories. You have to look at all the memories you're having right now.

Stay strong and know that she loves you...she just doesn't remember. Cherish and love her all that you can.

She was there for you when you came into this world, and you'll be there for her when she leaves this world. Sending you lots of strength and love Odie.

YOU ARE A STEEL MAGNOLIA ODIE.

What was really funny is one day my sister-in-law and myself had taken mom out to lunch, her favorite was Swiss Chalet, and we had to then order for her and we knew what she loved...............when back at her apartment we opened the fridge and found 4 jars of the same pickles, unopened! We both said, well since mom has tons of pickles, well just take a few:wah:

thanks for the courage and strength, not sure how I am ever going to deal with her passing, for to me, she is still my mom.

After many years of her taking care of me, through teenage life, getting married, two sons, getting divorced, helping me with my sons, helping me financially, babysitting so I could get out of the apartment, another wonderful marriage that I have now, things took a bad turn for mom, it was then my time to take care of her, first with her having a mascetomy, and five years later, another mascetomy, then 3 years after that with bowel cancer, and then a third time on the chest with cancer, doctors visits tests, picking up prescriptions, etc..............and just being there for her as she had done every step of the way with me.

and now, its like I am taking care of a child.

xo
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

mrsK;968777 wrote: It is a shocking thing to watch someone you love change before your eyes.

Try to remember she can't help it sweetie,she really can't.

Love to you:-4:-4

thanks, I know she can't help it, she has no idea of what she is saying or doing..............but is just hard when mom screams at me and tells me to go away.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

JAB;968872 wrote: Odie, I have no personal experience of knowing anyone with this disease. All I can offer are prayers and wishes for you to remain strong - even when you least feel like it. :yh_hugs

thanks hun, it means alot!

especially today!
valerie

my mom

Post by valerie »

My mom has Alzheimer's too, Odie, I first noticed it about 8 years

ago. I think she was very fearful in the early stages, because she

must have had some idea of what was happening to her.

There are many very hurtful things that happen with this disease.

My mom asked me one day if I had any brothers and sisters. It

seemed like I was just a visitor she was trying to make conversation

with. A little over 4 years ago, we moved her to a care facility in

Idaho, she is closer to my sister who takes excellent care of her.

The place is beautiful, almost like a resort, and the staff seems very

good. But it still is very sad.

Most of what comes out of my mom's mouth is total gibberish... but it

is better than the hallucinations she used to have.

I got to see her about a year ago, after not having seen her for 3 years.

I walked in the facility, she was sitting in a chair and when I went over

to her, she said "Hello my Angel" which was classic mom. So she knew

me at that one point, but I don't think for the rest of the visit.

When she was still in California, I used to go up every so often to give

my dad a respite, and take care of her. It was exhausting, even for a

few hours, I don't know how my dad managed. But one thing that seemed

to work with her was just saying "I love you Mom" and she'd smile and

tell me she loved me, too.

It is a horrible, horrible disease. I hope so for a cure or some sort of

prevention, even.

Many, many cyber hugs to you, from someone who truly understands.

>
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

shelbell

my mom

Post by shelbell »

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I don't have experience with this so all I have to offer is an ear to listen and pray to God to take care of your family in this devastating time. :-4:yh_hugs:yh_pray
gmc

my mom

Post by gmc »

You have my sympathy. My mother is also now suffering. It's like watching a stranger with the real person inside occasionally peeping out.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

valerie;968949 wrote: My mom has Alzheimer's too, Odie, I first noticed it about 8 years

ago. I think she was very fearful in the early stages, because she

must have had some idea of what was happening to her.

There are many very hurtful things that happen with this disease.

My mom asked me one day if I had any brothers and sisters. It

seemed like I was just a visitor she was trying to make conversation

with. A little over 4 years ago, we moved her to a care facility in

Idaho, she is closer to my sister who takes excellent care of her.

The place is beautiful, almost like a resort, and the staff seems very

good. But it still is very sad.

Most of what comes out of my mom's mouth is total gibberish... but it

is better than the hallucinations she used to have.

I got to see her about a year ago, after not having seen her for 3 years.

I walked in the facility, she was sitting in a chair and when I went over

to her, she said "Hello my Angel" which was classic mom. So she knew

me at that one point, but I don't think for the rest of the visit.

When she was still in California, I used to go up every so often to give

my dad a respite, and take care of her. It was exhausting, even for a

few hours, I don't know how my dad managed. But one thing that seemed

to work with her was just saying "I love you Mom" and she'd smile and

tell me she loved me, too.

It is a horrible, horrible disease. I hope so for a cure or some sort of

prevention, even.

Many, many cyber hugs to you, from someone who truly understands.

>

funny they say to always read, do quizies, puzzles to keep your mind well alert...............mom read all of her life, daily newspaper back to back and always had a Daniel Steele book in her hand...............

that statement was not true.

so sorry to hear you are also going though this hell of a disease, it just strips the person down to nothing.

xo
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

bump for bear!:wah:
SlipStream

my mom

Post by SlipStream »

:-4

omg Odie, I'm realy so sorry to hear about your mom:-4
spot

my mom

Post by spot »

I'm remembering a surreal visit to my grandmother who spent the entire two hours under the impression I was my father. After a couple of fruitless attempts at explaining otherwise I went with the flow, it was obviously him she wanted to talk with so that's what she got.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
sunny104

my mom

Post by sunny104 »

:-1 hugs and love to all of you that are going thru this with your loved ones. :yh_hugs
CARLA

my mom

Post by CARLA »

Alzheimer's affect "Short Term Memory" the greatest and it happens in the early stages of the disease. Another words they can't remember what you said 2 minutes ago, but can remember what went on 20,30, even 40 years ago in vivid detail as that part of their brain hasn't be hit by the disease yet this happens in the later stages of the disease. Its a cruel disease that hopefully someday we will have a cure for. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Cow Patty

my mom

Post by Cow Patty »

Odie, my heart goes out to you. :-4

I am forunate enough to say I have not had to deal with this in my life so I do not know what you are going through and do not know how you feel. However, I know your heart must be breaking to see your mom in this condition.

Does the home she is staying in offer a support group for family members?

Sending my prayers to you and your family:yh_hugs
valerie

my mom

Post by valerie »

A book I read called "Learning to speak Alzheimers" by Joanne Koenig

Coste was very good. One of the things she said in it was you are

never supposed to question, chastise, or try to reason with

Alzheimers patients. So, when my mom would talk about her father

coming to see her, I just said oh that will be nice. Not try to correct

her or get through that her father had been dead for many, many years.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

Cow Patty;972406 wrote: Odie, my heart goes out to you. :-4

I am forunate enough to say I have not had to deal with this in my life so I do not know what you are going through and do not know how you feel. However, I know your heart must be breaking to see your mom in this condition.

Does the home she is staying in offer a support group for family members?

Sending my prayers to you and your family:yh_hugs

thanks CP! The Altzeimers Assocation offers help and support, but we understand the disease and had read up on it alot when mom was first diagnosed with it, so understanding the steps made it alot easier.

still can't grip that mom doesn't know who I am when we are face to face...........:-1
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

valerie;972632 wrote: A book I read called "Learning to speak Alzheimers" by Joanne Koenig

Coste was very good. One of the things she said in it was you are

never supposed to question, chastise, or try to reason with

Alzheimers patients. So, when my mom would talk about her father

coming to see her, I just said oh that will be nice. Not try to correct

her or get through that her father had been dead for many, many years.

we have to ask her things, we have to make up all conversation, but instead now of saying what did you have for breakfast, I now say did you have toast and coffee for breakfast mom? she will just nod yes.

we have never and will never get mad at her, no matter what she says or does..............
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

SlipStream;972193 wrote: :-4

omg Odie, I'm realy so sorry to hear about your mom:-4

thank you slipstream!:-4
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

Idgie;972184 wrote: :p

Thanks Odie!

Yep, I'm going through the same thing. Took care of my mother for 8 years and just last month had to find the help she needed that I no longer could provide. She has her good days and bad. She still knows who I am and who my husband is. But I can see her slipping more and more away.

It's certainly a journey for everyone.

It takes practice, patience and the support of others; it takes learning how. It can be frustrating, annoying and tiring. Then one day they look at you with their beautiful wrinkled face and smile the most beautiful smile and say to you "Thank you" or "I love you" with all the warmth and sincerity that can last you a lifetime until the next day when they empty out the closet, overflow the toilet, call 911 again, or phone you a hundred times a day asking what day it is!!

"You can't look at an Alzheimers patient and mourn for what's gone. You have to appreciate what is left. And appreciate the moments when they give you a glimpse of who they are."

I know what y'all are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :)

I am happy that she still knows who you are, but as you see her slipping away.................remember she will not always know who you are...........so hang on tight as hell to it now! Talk about the things you can, while you still have that chance.

If ever was a time to tell her something special, let it be now.

We also take mom treats, they love to see when you bring them something. I always had mom guess which pocket I had something in for her!

My sister-in-law does the baking, and we bring in her fav treats, ice cream cone from McDonalds, kit kat bar, puddings etc.
kazalala

my mom

Post by kazalala »

Odie im so sorry your mom has had to suffer this terrible disease, and for you too:-4 I havent really had any experience, but it must be so hard for you to come to terms with the fact that she no longer knows who you are,:thinking:I suppose its like she suddenly went away without telling you and wont come back:-1 even though you know she cant help it, it still hurts:-3 well you now know i think that its ok to come on here and open your heart because there are always people here who will sympathise, give their best advice, and just a shoulder to cry on:-4:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Peg

my mom

Post by Peg »

Idgie;988647 wrote:

The hard part is, going through all the memories in her home, packing things away etc. We played some of favorite CD's while working in her home and pictured her dancing around the house like she use to. :)

Oh I so know how hard that part is. :-1
kazalala

my mom

Post by kazalala »

Idgie;988707 wrote: Thanks Kaz for understanding. Yes, it is a terrible disease and a learning experience for those involved. Mom tells me all the time that she's lived a very good life. She still knows who I am and my husband, but has forgotten that she had more than 2 children. She can't remember my father either.

We just follow her lead with the conversation she starts and go with the flow of it.

I am thankful for the wonderful supportive and understanding husband that I have. He's my rock to get me through the hard times. :-4

it must be frustrating and heartbreaking, its good to hear you have support and a good husband:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

kaz.....................your so right.

its like she went away and never told me.:-1
kazalala

my mom

Post by kazalala »

Odie;988746 wrote: kaz.....................your so right.

its like she went away and never told me.:-1

im sorry:o:-4 you can only do your best for her now,, thank god she has someone to still care for her:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

my mom

Post by Odie »

My mother has defied all odds, she had a mascetomy, only to find out 5 years later, she needed the second one.

She beat colon cancer.

Cancer came back a fourth time in her breast area.

My mom is now 85 years old and still alive.

My mom is a toughie, so I must be to!

Return to “Women's Health”