Words that end in IRY

spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

The "Words That End In" franchise

proudly presents

the most successful game thread of all history,

back on ForumGarden by POPULAR DEMAND!

We tried a while ago to post only words which ended in INTH. It was all too brief.

This was followed by INCH. It was an overnight success!

A third outing, of words ending in ONCH, brought out intense rivalry!

We then moved into high gear with words ending in ONCK, the most hard-fought contest to date.

The search for words ending in ANK, was reviewed in Time Magazine as "reminiscent of Mrs Thrale's gatherings".

The subsequent investigation into words ending in ARK induced rule revisions.

The hunt for words ending in ARB was mercifully brief.

An exciting contest for words ending in ERB, saw an avalanche of submissions from an international array of players.

Players struggled for words ending in ERO, several tripping on the rule revisions regarding dictionary searches and context displays.

Odie then pipped a field of contestants producing words ending in EDO in a nailbiting finish worthy of Takeshi's Castle.

AussiePam subsequently startled the world by claiming to be "coffeedy" while producing words ending in EDY. AussiePam was docked two points on this game's scoresheet, for cheek.

Tabby then won her first contested round for words ending in DDY after a close-fought struggle with ZAP.

Unprecedented enthusiasm broke out when the site examined words ending in DRY

In the interests of fair adjudication in this round

every entry must have a sample sentence attached which shows the word employed in a natural English setting

Entries score double if the sample sentence is a legitimate quotation from a published work

Players are courteously reminded that dictionary searches are forbidden

Good luck to all our contestants!

Once a name or word has been offered in the thread it may not be offered again. Proper nouns, acronyms and abbreviations, where they lack alternate non-derivative meanings which are neither proper, acronymic or abbreviated, are excluded. Submissions must use current English spelling adjudicated from the Oxford English Dictionary. Consecutive posts within the game thread must not contain submissions from the same player. The use of computer software to generate submissions is forbidden. Relatives and employees of the game's management may not enter. The competition is governed by English Law. The winner of this competition will be entered in the annual ForumGarden Competition Winners' Knock-out Photo Contest. No prize carries financial value exceeding the lowest denomination coin of the realm, for which it may be exchanged at the request of the winner. This is a game of skill without payment of money or money's worth or the provision of goods or services and does not constitute a lottery, pool, prize game or chain-gift scheme.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Playful1

Words that end in IRY

Post by Playful1 »

Dairy

:guitarist Heigh ho the dairy oh...wait, that’s derry. So no published work points for me. :p

Vegans drink soy milk because dairy is an animal byproduct.
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

AIRY

The Slothful, negligent;

The Foppish neat;

The Lewd are airy,

And the Sly discreet.

(Garth's Dispensary)
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Words that end in IRY

Post by YZGI »

Wiry

"He was a wiry little fella"

"The old Indian Fighter" by Morley Young
YZGI

Words that end in IRY

Post by YZGI »

Okay I'll try this again.

WIRY

"The old Indian Fighter' By Morley Young
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

There's an outstanding error in ForumGarden's cache which means you don't instantly see your post. The refresh button will show it if you're stuck.
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

YZGI;1518942 wrote: Okay I'll try this again.

WIRY

"The old Indian Fighter' By Morley Young

That was very good, I quite liked "What a person thinks can make him just as sick as what's real". But I couldn't find your quote in it.
YZGI

Words that end in IRY

Post by YZGI »

spot;1518944 wrote: That was very good, I quite liked "What a person thinks can make him just as sick as what's real". But I couldn't find your quote in it.

I'm sure there must be a joke or sarcasm or something here but it whooshed over my head like a jet airplane..
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

YZGI;1518950 wrote: I'm sure there must be a joke or sarcasm or something here but it whooshed over my head like a jet airplane..

Not at all - I enjoyed the story. It's at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MyG ... 22&f=false
YZGI

Words that end in IRY

Post by YZGI »

My quote was on page 156 I believe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=jQJqG ... la&f=false
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

YZGI;1518957 wrote: My quote was on page 156 I believe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=jQJqG ... la&f=false

When I went through it, page 156 was the one page withheld by Google on copyright grounds. Though from the look of the story it can't have still been in copyright.
Saint_

Words that end in IRY

Post by Saint_ »

Enquiry

"Computer, Enquiry!" - William Shatner, Star Trek, The Original Series.
Playful1

Words that end in IRY

Post by Playful1 »

Hairy

But Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “Behold, my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I am a smooth man. - Genesis 27:11
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

Acquiry:

"Iran would not turn a blind eye to its right to peaceful acquiry of the atomic energy"

Dr Ali Larijani, Khamenei's Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council while defining Iran's nuclear policy in 2006.
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

FAIRY

"The reader will probably remember the White Lady of the House of Brandenburgh and the fairy Melusine who usually prognosticated the recurrence of mortality in some noble family of Poitou."

Thomas Crofton Croker, Fairy Legends and Traditions of the South of Ireland, 1834, John Murray.
spot

Words that end in IRY

Post by spot »

~Selene~;1527716 wrote: Dairy

I would considerately point new players to the terms and conditions laid out in the thread's opening post, specifically "Once a name or word has been offered in the thread it may not be offered again". The rule allows the game to terminate, a winner to be announced and a prize to be awarded.
Louise-Rene

Words that end in IRY

Post by Louise-Rene »

Wiry

Return to “Word Games”