Pets Bullying Pets

All aspects of your pet's behavior. Do you need help? Is your pet behaving normally?
User avatar
BabyRider
Posts: 10163
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by BabyRider »

cherandbuster wrote: DGal, from what I've heard, cats are not highly trainable at all.



True, BR?
Cats are trainable, but it is incredibly difficult and requires LOADS...I mean OCEANS of patience, and some cats just refuse to take to training at all. I have had very little success with training cats. I just don't have the patience for it. I speak and understand "dog", I just don't speak "cat" that well. Socializing them to co-habitate is a different thing, though, and something that can be accomplished fairly easily if you know what you're doing.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]










Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????


We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.




User avatar
DesignerGal
Posts: 2554
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:20 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by DesignerGal »

BabyRider wrote: Very carefully!! Give me some more info, DG. Are you adding a grown cat to your household that has a grown cat? What are the sexes of each? Ages? Are they both neutered/spayed? Any other animals in the house?


Its a ?? for my mom. She has a mix of adult cats upstairs. 2 girls and 2 boys. Then downstairs she has a mix of 6 adult cats and she wanted to know about putting them together after all this time. My resolution? GET RID OF SOME OF THE CATS! But, she is a crazy cat lady and they make her happy. SO should she keep them seperate? Time and patience she DOES NOT have.






HBIC
User avatar
LilacDragon
Posts: 1382
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:23 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by LilacDragon »

What seperates the upstairs cats from the down stairs cats? If it is just a matter of opening a door - then I would say leave the door open and let the cats decide.

I'm with BR - cats are just toooooo time consuming to train. You could train them for a year and be lucky if they do what you want one time out of ten.
Sandi



User avatar
DesignerGal
Posts: 2554
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:20 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by DesignerGal »

LilacDragon wrote: What seperates the upstairs cats from the down stairs cats? If it is just a matter of opening a door - then I would say leave the door open and let the cats decide.

I'm with BR - cats are just toooooo time consuming to train. You could train them for a year and be lucky if they do what you want one time out of ten.


She has a basement appartment that has an entry outside. SO the cats are seperated by the floor.






HBIC
User avatar
BabyRider
Posts: 10163
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by BabyRider »

DesignerGal wrote: Its a ?? for my mom. She has a mix of adult cats upstairs. 2 girls and 2 boys. Then downstairs she has a mix of 6 adult cats and she wanted to know about putting them together after all this time. My resolution? GET RID OF SOME OF THE CATS! But, she is a crazy cat lady and they make her happy. SO should she keep them seperate? Time and patience she DOES NOT have.
No time or patience? I suggest she leave things be unless she wants to watch the cats duke it out. Which they probably will.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]










Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????


We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.




Barbie Mattel
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:38 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Barbie Mattel »

BabyRider wrote: [quote=idiot climber]

Wow. That was one of the rudest, stupidest first posts I've seen in this place EVER. You're not going to get a real friendly reception with that kind of introduction, Idiot. Wanna try again? We're fair like that around here.


Has the OP with the doggie pads thought of buying a goldfish or Stick Insect instead? They don't require walking or training, dont bark, and dont need feeding more than once a week.

Course, it could still die of obesity if her husband insists on "nurturing" it to death with junk food.
User avatar
cherandbuster
Posts: 8594
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:33 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by cherandbuster »

Barbie Mattel wrote: Has the OP with the doggie pads thought of buying a goldfish or Stick Insect instead? They don't require walking or training, dont bark, and dont need feeding more than once a week.

Course, it could still die of obesity if her husband insists on "nurturing" it to death with junk food.


Barbie Mattel

I will not honor your troll-like behavior with but more than a quick response

Chihuahuas are tiny animals with very little body fat. Going outside in cold weather can be quite unhealthy for them. My vet recommended I use doggie pads so that he will not hold his urine and feces for an unhealthy period of time which could cause systemic problems rather quickly in a four-pound animal.

It's a shame your parents didn't raise you with manners

Now you may go bother someone else
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist





Barbie Mattel
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:38 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Barbie Mattel »

cherandbuster wrote: Barbie Mattel

My vet recommended I use doggie pads




That seems a bit extreme. I hear you can get proper adult incontinence pads in any good pharmacist. Or over the internet if you find buying them embarrasing.
User avatar
valerie
Posts: 7125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by valerie »

Barbie Mattel wrote: That seems a bit extreme. I hear you can get proper adult incontinence pads in any good pharmacist. Or over the internet if you find buying them embarrasing.


Of course, she can get everything she needs.



You, however, would be hard put to find a vendor for the new brain

you so desperately need...



:thinking:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525



Draco the third
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:14 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Draco the third »

Yep! Barbie sounds like a right trying try-on!:wah:

To try to get this thredd back on track!!!:p , my problem is my three-year-old cat called Nuzzle. He's a male, neutered - not a breed, just a tabby. He's never shown any signs of aggression towards other animals before, but he seems to have taken a real hating towards my daughter's pet mice.

He plays alright with them most of the time, but occasionally will just turn on them and kill them - and it's getting much harder to find replacement mice with the right markings to replace them without my daughter (she's four) finding out.

Is there any way of getting Nuzzle to modify his aggressive behaviors towards these mice, or should I just accept that they aren't always going to get on? Yours hoping.
Christmas Curry
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:22 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Christmas Curry »

Hello Draco,

That's awful. God help you. Surely you shouldn't be letting this cat play with your daughters cute little mice :yh_shame However, we did have a problem with one of out cats. Can you believe it. He used to go out into the neighbourhood and catch wild mice and rats. He even bought one into the house one day. I was shocked. I had to disinfect the whole house, what with him bringing in a dirty wild animal. Well, I told my darling husband Randy to do something about it so he jumped into the truck and went to the Pet Store. I was so pleased when he returned and he had a little kitty mussle. It is a little accessory that you put over your kitties head. He will still be able to eat and drink, but if he tries to get some little critter, the mussle stops him opening his mouth too wide and so he ain't able to kill them. :)
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by chonsigirl »

Mice are small, kitty is big. The predator/prey relationship will always be there. Keep them separate.

I have a big cat and 2 bunnies. One was big enough when I got him, there was no problems. When I got the baby bunny, I kept a close eye on them until they adjusted, and baby got bigger. Kitty sometimes will want to use the unfair advantage of claws, but I supervise playtime. The baby is big enough now I don't have to worry about more then that, the bunnies usually win the contest now. Two against one and all..........................:wah:
Draco the third
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:14 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Draco the third »

Christmas Curry wrote: Hello Draco,

That's awful. God help you. Surely you shouldn't be letting this cat play with your daughters cute little mice :yh_shame However, we did have a problem with one of out cats. Can you believe it. He used to go out into the neighbourhood and catch wild mice and rats. He even bought one into the house one day. I was shocked. I had to disinfect the whole house, what with him bringing in a dirty wild animal. Well, I told my darling husband Randy to do something about it so he jumped into the truck and went to the Pet Store. I was so pleased when he returned and he had a little kitty mussle. It is a little accessory that you put over your kitties head. He will still be able to eat and drink, but if he tries to get some little critter, the mussle stops him opening his mouth too wide and so he ain't able to kill them. :)


Hi Curry - don't be too Severe! mice are very cheap in my local shop, the only problem is finding ones with creamy fur and a brown snout!!! ??Its only happened twice, and Nuzzle never did it with the gerbils we used to have.

I like the muzzle idea - can they still eat their food if you leave it on all the time?

My daughter, Micah, has special educational needs and really loves her mice, and loves to see them playing with Nuzzle - and I wud hate for her to be heartbroken...:-1
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by chonsigirl »

Draco, put the mice in one of those little plastic balls, the mice could run around the house, the cat couldn't get them, and everyone is happy.............the mice might get bounced around a bit, but they would be safe. Your daughter would be happy with this, I think.
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by buttercup »

:rolleyes:

& yawns - not at chonsi
Draco the third
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:14 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Draco the third »

Pinky wrote: Does she enjoy watching mice being tortured and eaten alive as well? How adorable.

You're on a wind up mission.


Noo. Nothing like that. Please forgive me if I've upset anyone.:lips:

I don't think Nuzzle wants to eat them or torture them. I know some cats like to torture the things they catch instead of kiling them quick.

But with him, one second he's playing with them nicely and the next he kills them quick. Like I say its happened twice. I couldn't intervene intime.

The mouse ball idea is a good one. Thanks for that.
Collie Wobble
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:25 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Collie Wobble »

Draco the third wrote: Noo. Nothing like that. Please forgive me if I've upset anyone.:lips:

I don't think Nuzzle wants to eat them or torture them. I know some cats like to torture the things they catch instead of kiling them quick.




they can't help it.

it is instinctive.

two methods i have used sucessfully in the past:

you can have a vetinary dental surgeon 'round off' the cats front teeth.

the worst that will happen is that the mouse will suffer a severe gumming.

otherwise, try shopping online at a pet sports store.

boxing style gum shields can be used to cover the cats teeth. you will have to remove this if the cat is to be allowed his chow.
User avatar
buttercup
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by buttercup »

& they just keep coming :rolleyes:
Collie Wobble
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:25 am

Pets Bullying Pets

Post by Collie Wobble »

Pinky wrote: Blimey, you know some good slang Collie, being from Ulan Bator and all...

Don't you and your chums want to go look at the thread that one of our members made especially for you guys?


i am from the valleys boyo.

i am currently installing IT systems in ulan bator.

did i fill in the reg form incorrectly?



ps. who are my chums?

i don't understand the last piece of your post.

Return to “Pet Behavior”