Bit breezy today

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
abbey

Bit breezy today

Post by abbey »

I went into Manchester today and was blown clean across the road!

Pretty scary i can tell you.

Coming out of the city i saw a roof ripped clean off!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6272193.stm
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

oooh Maybe we haven't had it so bad in Cornwall then as I haven't thought it any worse than normal for us! Or maybe I'm not on this planet right now :thinking:
Uncle Kram

Bit breezy today

Post by Uncle Kram »

I had a gate and its frame ripped off the wall and lost some roof tiles. Blowing a hooley as Boops would say :rolleyes:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
abbey

Bit breezy today

Post by abbey »

Uncle Kram;521254 wrote: I had a gate and its frame ripped off the wall and lost some roof tiles. Blowing a hooley as Boops would say :rolleyes:
So you're a roof short of a slate then? :D
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram;521254 wrote: I had a gate and its frame ripped off the wall and lost some roof tiles. Blowing a hooley as Boops would say :rolleyes:

Ooh thats going to be a bit expensive then! Yes it is blowing a hooley down here :p , but no worse than we're used to in my opinion.

I was very drawn to the rough sea today, but had to go to Truro, a walk at Marazion would have been wonderful today!
Uncle Kram

Bit breezy today

Post by Uncle Kram »

abbey;521256 wrote: So you're a roof short of a slate then? :D
Yeah :o ....and a coupon short of a toaster :rolleyes:

Thanks as always for your unwaivering support Abs :D

Rapunzel

Bit breezy today

Post by Rapunzel »

The wind off the Needles on the Isle of Wight registered at 99mph today!

Hurricane force! :-3

So yes, twas a tad breezy sweetie! :wah:
Galbally

Bit breezy today

Post by Galbally »

I nearly got blown across the road in my car in Ireland today, I haven't experienced winds that strong for a long time, flippin hell it was stormy, thank god they got the power back! It seems even worse in England, take care of yourselves.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
chonsigirl

Bit breezy today

Post by chonsigirl »

It sounds pretty fierce the winds there, take care all of you.
meltonpie

Bit breezy today

Post by meltonpie »

Cringed a bit during the gale at the strength of some of the gusts around the roof-top, but we seem to have got through it. A small branch hit my car as I went into town, in fact the road was strewn with branches. Part of the town area was cordoned off because of dangerous bits on some of the buildings. Quite a litter of tiles in the street.

I know it's foolish, but I would have loved to be by the sea. I'm in awe at the power of the water, and I'm sure it would inspire me today - provided of course that I was at a safe distance!
Bill Sikes

Bit breezy today

Post by Bill Sikes »

Betty Boop;521259 wrote: I was very drawn to the rough sea today, but had to go to Truro, a walk at Marazion would have been wonderful today!

Youi lucky thing. I wonder what it was like at Hell's Mouth, on the North Coats,

east of Navax Pt.? Wow. An onshore wind and a heavy "Crump!" as the waves

bash in, sending spume right up the cliff, far above your head, and falling far

behind you as you brace yourself and try not to look down! Fantastic! Don't fall.
theia

Bit breezy today

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;521259 wrote:

I was very drawn to the rough sea today, but had to go to Truro, a walk at Marazion would have been wonderful today!

:thinking:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;521314 wrote: :thinking:

:wah: Nothing personal!! Of course I enjoyed my coffees with you instead! :-4
Galbally

Bit breezy today

Post by Galbally »

Jaysus, I wouldn't go within a mile of the sea on a day like today, you'd be battered into a munchkin! The swell must be enourmous, and the winds, holy god. :-2

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Galbally;521436 wrote: Jaysus, I wouldn't go within a mile of the sea on a day like today, you'd be battered into a munchkin! The swell must be enourmous, and the winds, holy god. :-2

Heaven to me Galbally, I love the sea when it's at it's worst, I walked across our prom a couple of years ago in one of the worst storms we've seen for years. Imagine an hysterically laughing drugged up idiot fighting through the wind and sea spray on an absolute high, that was me, high on the exhileration of it all, just ask Hamster, she knows what I'm like when it comes to rough seas!
Galbally

Bit breezy today

Post by Galbally »

Betty Boop;521751 wrote: Heaven to me Galbally, I love the sea when it's at it's worst, I walked across our prom a couple of years ago in one of the worst storms we've seen for years. Imagine an hysterically laughing drugged up idiot fighting through the wind and sea spray on an absolute high, that was me, high on the exhileration of it all, just ask Hamster, she knows what I'm like when it comes to rough seas!

I know, I know, I've been in Kerry in a house by a cliff at the ocean during an atlantic gale, its exhilerating, in the same way that being in a car doing 156 miles an hour is, but on the west coast you cant really do near the sea in a gale because you will be swept out before too long, and you can't stand up anyway. Its probably a bit more sheltered where you are, though if you are in cornwall it probably isn't come to think of it, So take care, well you know how dangerous the sea is obviously so I don't have to tell you.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Galbally;521790 wrote: I know, I know, I've been in Kerry in a house by a cliff at the ocean during an atlantic gale, its exhilerating, in the same way that being in a car doing 156 miles an hour is, but on the west coast you cant really do near the sea in a gale because you will be swept out before too long, and you can't stand up anyway. Its probably a bit more sheltered where you are, though if you are in cornwall it probably isn't come to think of it, So take care, well you know how dangerous the sea is obviously so I don't have to tell you.

The sea has my highest respect and I wouldn't put myself in danger! I am fairly close to the coast, can see the sea from my house. Not very sheltered no! I'm right down the bottom of Cornwall, the most exposed part really.
Uncle Kram

Bit breezy today

Post by Uncle Kram »

Galbally;521436 wrote: Jaysus, I wouldn't go within a mile of the sea on a day like today, you'd be battered into a munchkin! The swell must be enourmous, and the winds, holy god. :-2
I rather foolishly went into very rough sea in Spain once. The beach was deserted and I swam around for a while not too far from the shore. It seemed good fun being tossed around a little bit. The problem came when I tried to get out. Everytime I got anywhere near the pebble beach, I just got dragged back into the sea. I struggled in vain and was sure I was about to drown. Eventually I did get out after 20-30 minutes and just collapsed exhausted on the beach. I'd been given a ring for my 21st birthday by my Mom. It had been pulled off my finger as I was dragged along. I was lucky that was all I lost. So Betty, don't put your swimming cozzy on, Galbally knows what he's talking about.

Bill Sikes

Bit breezy today

Post by Bill Sikes »

Betty Boop;521791 wrote: I'm right down the bottom of Cornwall, the most exposed part really.

You be careful exposing your bottom.
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram;521792 wrote: I rather foolishly went into very rough sea in Spain once. The beach was deserted and I swam around for a while not too far from the shore. It seemed good fun being tossed around a litle bit. The problem came when I tried to get out. Everytime I got anywhere near the pebble beach, I just got dragged back into the sea. I struggled in vain and was sure I was about to drown. Eventually I did get out after 20-30 minutes and just collapsed exhausted on the beach. I'd been given a ring for my 21st birthday by my Mom. It had been pulled off my finger as I was dragged along. I was lucky that was all I lost. So Betty, don't put your swimming cozzy on, Galbally knows what he's talking about.

Are you suggesting I go skinny dipping! :eek: :wah:

Blimey I'm not that mad!! I wouldn't enter the sea or go 'on' it. I have utmost respect for the sea, it comes as part and parcel of living by it, the sea is wild, wicked, calm, beautiful, unpredictable and never to be trusted.

I walk by wild seas, but never close enough that I could get washed away as many have by taking risks. I promise!!
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Bill Sikes;521795 wrote: You be careful exposing your bottom.

:wah: :wah: I will!
Galbally

Bit breezy today

Post by Galbally »

Betty Boop;521791 wrote: The sea has my highest respect and I wouldn't put myself in danger! I am fairly close to the coast, can see the sea from my house. Not very sheltered no! I'm right down the bottom of Cornwall, the most exposed part really.

Yes, you would have wild seas in the winter down there at lands end, and the channel would probably make it even worse, I don't know because unfortunatly I havn't gotten to see cornwall yet, though I know its a beautful place. Well, as long as you take extreme care, we just don't want you to get washed out to sea and end up in Wexford. We like you on dry land so we can have fun with you. :-4

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Uncle Kram

Bit breezy today

Post by Uncle Kram »

Betty Boop;521799 wrote: Are you suggesting I go skinny dipping! :eek: :wah:

Blimey I'm not that mad!! I wouldn't enter the sea or go 'on' it. I have utmost respect for the sea, it comes as part and parcel of living by it, the sea is wild, wicked, calm, beautiful, unpredictable and never to be trusted.

I walk by wild seas, but never close enough that I could get washed away as many have by taking risks. I promise!!
That's the problem growing up in the centre of England. I couldn't be further from the sea, so I guess you grow up without the respect that experience embeds in coastal dwellers. At least I lived to learn from my mistake.

PS Skinny dipping sounds good

Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram;521813 wrote: That's the problem growing up in the centre of England. I couldn't be further from the sea, so I guess you grow up without the respect that experience embeds in coastal dwellers. At least I lived to learn from my mistake.

PS Skinny dipping sounds good

Yeah, but have you ever done it?? I'll give you a crash course! ;) :wah:
Uncle Kram

Bit breezy today

Post by Uncle Kram »

Betty Boop;521836 wrote: Yeah, but have you ever done it?? I'll give you a crash course! ;) :wah:
Err....Erm.....well if I keep my armbands on that will still count as skinny-dipping won't it? :-3

Bill Sikes

Bit breezy today

Post by Bill Sikes »

Betty Boop;521836 wrote: Yeah, but have you ever done it??wah:

(nude swimming) Best done at that particular time in summer when parts of the

sea become phosphorescent.
Uncle Kram

Bit breezy today

Post by Uncle Kram »

Bill Sikes;521850 wrote: (nude swimming) Best done at that particular time in summer when parts of the

sea become phosphorescent.
Definately to be discouraged in the Winter :o .....:D

Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram;521845 wrote: Err....Erm.....well if I keep my armbands on that will still count as skinny-dipping won't it? :-3

:wah: :rolleyes: Sort of.
Betty Boop

Bit breezy today

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram;521859 wrote: Definately to be discouraged in the Winter :o .....:D

Bunch of wimps! :D

Return to “England”