TV Licensing

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
Me Mo

TV Licensing

Post by Me Mo »

Hi Heidikins, sorry to hear of your hassle. I hope you got a sorry at least at the end of it.

There are rumours around that that will do away with TV Licences and do computer Licences in the future. :-2 anyone else here of this ?

Me Mo
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man: Mark Twain
Bothwell

TV Licensing

Post by Bothwell »

Heidikins i am sorry to tell you that there are at least 12 agencies that can enter your property unbidden, these include :

The Police

Inland Revenue

Customs and Excise

MI5

MI6

The gas company

The Water Company

The Telephone Company

The TV liscencing authority

Environmental Health

etc etc

They all need reasons of course but if any of them can make a case it is an emegency or a crime may be being comitted then they can break the door down if they want.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
devist8me

TV Licensing

Post by devist8me »

You need a license to have a TV?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Bothwell

TV Licensing

Post by Bothwell »

Sure do, it's in excess of $200 it goes to fund the BBC, all the other channels have to rely on advertising revenues. IMO it's worth every penny to have at least two channels with no commercials at all
lady cop

TV Licensing

Post by lady cop »

Bothwell wrote: Heidikins i am sorry to tell you that there are at least 12 agencies that can enter your property unbidden, these include :

The Police

Inland Revenue

Customs and Excise

MI5

MI6

The gas company

The Water Company

The Telephone Company

Environmental Health

etc etc

They all need reasons of course but if any of them can make a case it is an emegency or a crime may be being comitted then they can break the door down if they want.Yep.....EXIGENT CIRCUMSTANCES.
abbey

TV Licensing

Post by abbey »

Bothwell wrote: Sure do, it's in excess of $200 it goes to fund the BBC, all the other channels have to rely on advertising revenues. IMO it's worth every penny to have at least two channels with no commercials at allNo commercials is good, but what about the repeats they churn out time after time?

Their's barely any sport shown, if you want to watch a match & you havent got Sky you're buggered!

In fact i sometimes think the commercials are better than the programmes!
Bothwell

TV Licensing

Post by Bothwell »

Abbey the reason there is no football on the BBC is because of the greed of the FA and the Premiership, why would they accept the lower bids when SKY just chuck money at them.

I agree about the repeats but IMO most of the really great programmes I have seen have been BBC. try and experiment, next time a commercial channel is showing a wildlife documentary for example see if it comes anywhere close to The Blue Planet.

In addition as an Archers addict I will hear no wrong against Radio 4.
gmc

TV Licensing

Post by gmc »

Have i look at UK gold if you get it, most of the programmes are bbc in origin.
Jives

TV Licensing

Post by Jives »

Heidikins wrote: I don't own a TV. By choice. It follows that I don't have a TV license. I have advised the good people at TV Licensing of these facts, and yet for the umpteenth time in two and a half years I have received notice that they're sending the boys 'round, just to make sure I'm telling the truth..

Geez... what's with te huge influx of Englandes, Bothwell? You got you fan club to join up? Well, welcome to all the N()()bs!

Soo...what we have going here is some sort of TV Gestapo? EEN's? Electronic Entertainment nazis? It all sounds ridiculous to me, and I would have a REAL big problem with that. Basically a "Sara Bar the Door!" Situation for me. I would probably get thrown in jail for messing with them in various ways. Like flattening their tires while they were in my house. :mad:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
gmc

TV Licensing

Post by gmc »

posted by jives

Soo...what we have going here is some sort of TV Gestapo? EEN's? Electronic Entertainment nazis? It all sounds ridiculous to me, and I would have a REAL big problem with that. Basically a "Sara Bar the Door!" Situation for me. I would probably get thrown in jail for messing with them in various ways. Like flattening their tires while they were in my house.

Hey come on you've got microsoft spying on everybody to make sure they haven't nicked their software.

When you but a TV the retailer notifies the licensing authorities so they can check yoy have a licence-it's how the bbc was funded in the early days the fee went to finance public service broadcasting. It's still funded that way, the only ones that want the bbc to become a commercial station are politicians who think it should always support the government and rival companies that don't like having to compete.

Watch Tony Blair, bet if he gets back in he tries to exert political control :(
abbey

TV Licensing

Post by abbey »

Funnily enough i got my new licence today, £126.50!

I would personally rather sit through crappy ads than have to pay this extortionate fee!

I can't dispute that the Beeb does produce some good docs & dramas, but then so does ITV.:confused:
LWR VENTURES

TV Licensing

Post by LWR VENTURES »

What I can’t figure out is why the fee is more for color TV than black and white? Do you still have to pay a Tax for a Garden hose as well?
abbey

TV Licensing

Post by abbey »

LWR VENTURES wrote: Do you still have to pay a Tax for a Garden hose as well?That's a new one on me, although it does'nt surprise me!
LWR VENTURES

TV Licensing

Post by LWR VENTURES »

OK, a license. I knew it was something like that. Thanks for info.
john8pies

TV Licensing

Post by john8pies »

Heidikins, I`m sorry for you, but it`s nothing personal, I`m sure...the TV detector van came round and told me I HADN`T got a valid licence, when I did have....and didn`t even apologise when I showed it to him!
john8pies

TV Licensing

Post by john8pies »

The TV licencing van actually called at my house and said YOU HAVEN`T GOT A TV LICENCE! I went and got it out of the kitchen drawer and showed it to them, and they walked away, without even a word of apology!
abbey

TV Licensing

Post by abbey »

What's this? they called around twice John! :-2

capt_buzzard

TV Licensing

Post by capt_buzzard »

Bothwell wrote: Heidikins i am sorry to tell you that there are at least 12 agencies that can enter your property unbidden, these include :

The Police

Inland Revenue

Customs and Excise

MI5

MI6

The gas company

The Water Company

The Telephone Company

Environmental Health

etc etc

They all need reasons of course but if any of them can make a case it is an emegency or a crime may be being comitted then they can break the door down if they want.And that can include Southern Ireland too. With the Irish Police of course.
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

TV licences....Thats OUTRAGEOUS!!!

What government imposed that on you? Was that a Thatcherite policy?

How oppressive!

If I think about the population in England then do the math with regard to how much their raking in.......I'm apalled. It's OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I like much of the BBC's productions however it in no way is worth that much. Do you honestly believe "no ads" is worth that much???

In Australia we have the equivalent, the ABC, which is funded federally from something like 3% of personal income tax and what is significant about that is...our miniscule population compared to the UK.

And before any smart a$$ says...."sure but I bet the quality is $hit" The ABC is pretty damn amazing and ad free!

If the political parties here ever tried/suggested the introduction of TV licences it would be all out war! political suicide, so to speak.
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

Heidikins wrote: I'm from Australia - moved here around 7 years ago. The ABC was great when I was there, as was SBS (note: foreign language news/films/sport etc). Can't imagine the idea of a license going down too well in Oz!

Too right cobber! I can imagine the screaming mobs now..."FAIR SUCK O' THE SAV MATE!"

:wah:
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

I hear ya Heidikins! :)

Nice to meet you BTW

Cheers Jika.
TMC

TV Licensing

Post by TMC »

Jika wrote: TV licences....Thats OUTRAGEOUS!!!

What government imposed that on you? Was that a Thatcherite policy?

How oppressive!

If I think about the population in England then do the math with regard to how much their raking in.......I'm apalled. It's OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I like much of the BBC's productions however it in no way is worth that much. Do you honestly believe "no ads" is worth that much???

In Australia we have the equivalent, the ABC, which is funded federally from something like 3% of personal income tax and what is significant about that is...our miniscule population compared to the UK.

And before any smart a$$ says...."sure but I bet the quality is $hit" The ABC is pretty damn amazing and ad free!

If the political parties here ever tried/suggested the introduction of TV licences it would be all out war! political suicide, so to speak.

Funded through income tax... That’s OUTRAGOUS111

3% of income tax. Do you honestly believe ‘’no ads’‘is worth that much???

If the political parties here ever tried/suggested the introduction of TV taxation it would be all out war! political suicide, so to speak.

OK I’m being sarcastic but I’m sure you see my point, it’s just a different way of funding. Licence or taxes, same thing in all but name.

If you compare the cost and quality of the BBC with that of cable or satellite TV it’s pretty good value.

That reminds me, I must cancel my cable subscription.
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

Hey TMC!

I see where you're coming from but I have to point out that the income tax levy is far more equitable than a blanket fee for everyone, of what?, between 100-200 pounds sterling for each household/TV. Sure we pay for it in another way but I reckon it's an easier, fairer system. Do you not think so?
TMC

TV Licensing

Post by TMC »

Jika wrote: Hey TMC!

I see where you're coming from but I have to point out that the income tax levy is far more equitable than a blanket fee for everyone, of what?, between 100-200 pounds sterling for each household/TV. Sure we pay for it in another way but I reckon it's an easier, fairer system. Do you not think so?

I think the licence fee is around £120.00 per year per household, the household can have one or ten TVs, the fee remains the same.

As to whether one system is fairer than the other, I don’t know. It could be argued that if one household had three tax payers in it and the household next door, had only one, the household with the three tax payers is paying more for the same amount of programming.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other really.
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

TMC wrote:

As to whether one system is fairer than the other, I don’t know. It could be argued that if one household had three tax payers in it and the household next door, had only one, the household with the three tax payers is paying more for the same amount of programming.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

I think it is a fairer system. It is based on a % of what people earn. Why should someone in the UK who earns the minimum wage (peanuts) pay the same amount as someone of a higher income bracket for what is essentially a public broadcasting service. It's about accessibility and equity. Yes our system means subsidizing lower income earners and non-waged persons but so what! The majority of Australians are comfortable with it.
TMC

TV Licensing

Post by TMC »

I think it is a fairer system. It is based on a % of what people earn. Why should someone in the UK who earns the minimum wage (peanuts) pay the same amount as someone of a higher income bracket

Because they are receiving the same service.

for what is essentially a public broadcasting service. It's about accessibility and equity.

Yes, it is essentially public service, not to be confused with an essential service.

Yes our system means subsidizing lower income earners and non-waged persons but so what! The majority of Australians are comfortable with it.

If Australians are comfortable with it, that’s all that matters.
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

^ hmm......why am I sensing ridicule?
TMC

TV Licensing

Post by TMC »

Jika wrote: ^ hmm......why am I sensing ridicule?

That was not my intention.
BTS

TV Licensing

Post by BTS »

Flouncey wrote: Not a tax but you do need a licence for a hose, and you can only have one of you've got a water meter :)
Wow quick reply with a good point.

Hose=Water Meter=Tax.

No Meter=Hose No Go......

I got to ask, do you have cable tv options too?

We Americans act like we are not taxed on tv but just look at your cable bill and all the taxes. We also have PBS tv and radio we are taxed on too.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Jika

TV Licensing

Post by Jika »

^^ cool! it's all good. :)

I would however, if I ever emigrated to Britain, be one of those raving loonies protesting in the street, plackard in hand... "down with the government! free TV!" :wah:
Philadelphia Eagle

TV Licensing

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Hang on a minute! Have I missed something?

Do you guys actually have to pay an annual fee to own a TV?

Pds 126.50 equates to $240.00 ! per household!

The whole concept seems outrageous.

As far as watching commercial-free TV is concerned I have a choice of 29 commercial-free channels in the Philadelphia TV region plus several hundred commercial channels.

How on earth do they get away with that nonsense.

It sounds like yet another hidden tax on you guys.

And if the money goes to fund the BBC - surely that's adding insult to injury!

I know the British government likes to introduce all sorts of 'stealth taxes' but this one!

And how do you know where all the money goes? Is it really all going to the TV company?

Do they really send someone to your house to see if you have a TV?

Come on guys - it's 2005! Electronic systems are with us and to detect a TV is a low technology task nowdays.

It sounds like a low-tech employment scheme to me.

I think I can hear them laughing all the way to the bank!
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
TMC

TV Licensing

Post by TMC »

Hang on a minute! Have I missed something?

Do you guys actually have to pay an annual fee to own a TV?

Pds 126.50 equates to $240.00 ! per household!

The whole concept seems outrageous.

We have to pay an annual fee to watch the BBC.

As far as watching commercial-free TV is concerned I have a choice of 29 commercial-free channels in the Philadelphia TV region plus several hundred commercial channels.

How on earth do they get away with that nonsense.

Ooooooh!

It sounds like yet another hidden tax on you guys.

How is it hidden?

And if the money goes to fund the BBC - surely that's adding insult to injury!

Why?

I know the British government likes to introduce all sorts of 'stealth taxes' but this one!

And how do you know where all the money goes? Is it really all going to the TV company?

The licence fee is paid directly to the BBC and not the government.

Do they really send someone to your house to see if you have a TV?

Come on guys - it's 2005! Electronic systems are with us and to detect a TV is a low technology task nowdays.

It sounds like a low-tech employment scheme to me.

I think I can hear them laughing all the way to the bank!

They send someone to you’re door once they’ve detected you have a TV and there’s no record of a licence.
capt_buzzard

TV Licensing

Post by capt_buzzard »

That has to be the biggest ripOff. TV licence. All those adds - commercials.They are raking in a fortune.
abbey

TV Licensing

Post by abbey »

capt_buzzard wrote: That has to be the biggest ripOff. TV licence. All those adds - commercials.They are raking in a fortune.Do you have to have one in Southern Ireland Buzz?
capt_buzzard

TV Licensing

Post by capt_buzzard »

abbey wrote: Do you have to have one in Southern Ireland Buzz?Yes.167euros.

Senior Citizens over 65 years are free.
capt_buzzard

TV Licensing

Post by capt_buzzard »

Flouncey wrote: I hope the BBC never does become a commercial organisation, because if it does it will ruin it.

Theres no doubt about it, BBC programs are by and large of far superior quality, especially with documentaries and dramas (Eastenders excluded, I think it's twaddle :D )

For example recent dramas such as Archangel and Mr harvey lights a candle show you don't need high budget special effects to move you. :)

Also documentary series such as Himalaya with Michael palin, Around the world in 80 treasures and Who do you think you are? were all fabulous.

Long live the BBC :yh_worshpGood Auld Aunti - THE BEEB
adelcity

TV Licensing

Post by adelcity »

Thank God we abolished that law back in the 60's.

We still have our ABC (BBC equiv) that is advert free....and usually shows the quality programs from the BBC.

In Australia we just Tax everyone...watch TV or not...you pay!

Return to “England”