Time gentlemen please!

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
john8pies

Time gentlemen please!

Post by john8pies »

In an effort to cut down on `binge drinking ` of alcohol by teenagers, authorities in England (and possibly the rest of the UK too but they didn`t explain that on the news!) have reached a `voluntary code` to abolish `happy hours` , `2 for the price of 1`, and `drink as much as you can for a set price`.

What a sorrowful society we have become! :rolleyes:
Wolverine

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Wolverine »

Sad that they are taking away the booze? Or sad we have become a society of drunks?

A few years ago, I would have been upset at the thought of not being able to get drunk. But sadly college is over and I had to join the grown-ups.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

minks

Time gentlemen please!

Post by minks »

Wolverine wrote: Sad that they are taking away the booze? Or sad we have become a society of drunks?

A few years ago, I would have been upset at the thought of not being able to get drunk. But sadly college is over and I had to join the grown-ups.

Awww maturity, don't it just bite hehehehe

Well most kids go through that I think, drink cause they can, kind of a novelty thing, it has to be tried. But I think taking the happy hour price away is a good thing. Here we have way way to many car crashes that involve drunk teens. It is awful really, and they just don't get it.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Jives

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Jives »

Happy Hour? What's that? The only pub I can afford to drink in is Bothwell's! :D
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
minks

Time gentlemen please!

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: Happy Hour? What's that? The only pub I can afford to drink in is Bothwell's! :D

And in that hour aren't you happy?????

― Mae West
Bothwell

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Bothwell »

I will have no modern day new fangled ideas such as Happy hour.

Actually I think it might make a difference. One of the biggest problems is the Alcho-pops, some fruit flavoured fizzy laced with vodka, the kids have no idea of the effect until they have had half a dozen, at least with good old beer the effect is more gradual and you would throw up before you could do yourself serious damage. Alcho pops are purely to make alcohol more palatable.

Guinness did it a few years ago, you can now buy Extra Cold, which is served so cold you cannot differentiate it from lager, it was done by the marketing boys because the aesthetic appeal of guinness was so good but to quote the governor of California the girly men did not like the strong taste, so you make it extra cold and get the sales.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Jives

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Jives »

Hmmmm...yes. Yes I am. :wah:
Jives

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Jives »

Bothwell wrote: the kids have no idea of the effect until they have had half a dozen,

lol. Yeah, i used to run "Fat Tuesday's" It was a bar with frozen "slushie drinks. We used the cheapest Gin and even poured Everclear grain alcohol in the stuff. There were 25 flavors on the wall. The stuff was so sugary-sweet, you could esily down two of them in minutes.

Followed by dancing naked on the tables shortly afterwards. People really went over the edge quickly. Being a bouncer there was never boring. How about a bouncer story Koan? Babyrider?

at least with good old beer the effect is more gradual and you would throw up before you could do yourself serious damage.

True...my current tolerance is about a 12 pack before I pass all the way out. :o
Bothwell

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Bothwell »

Followed by dancing naked on the tables shortly afterwards

Perhaps there are some positive points!!

12 pack I reckon I would be unconcious now.

Me and three old work colleagues get together a couple of times a year for a few, Now we are down to 11 o'clock and home, used to be Pub, Curry, Club, back in by about 4 am or later, God age is a terrible thing.

I once made the mistake of informing LC that I could hold my own in the drinking stakes and was doing just fine on Heineken, until she gave me something called a Margarita, two of these later I was incoherent, how embarrassing to be laid low by a girly drink that was served in a pink plastic cup!!!!!!
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
minks

Time gentlemen please!

Post by minks »

Bothwell wrote: Perhaps there are some positive points!!

Me and three old work colleagues get together a couple of times a year for a few, Now we are down to 11 o'clock and home, used to be Pub, Curry, Club, back in by about 4 am or later, God age is a terrible thing.

I once made the mistake of informing LC that I could hold my own in the drinking stakes and was doing just fine on Heineken, until she gave me something called a Margarita, two of these later I was incoherent, how embarrassing to be laid low by a girly drink that was served in a pink plastic cup!!!!!!

Shhhh don't admit these things

― Mae West
smithy87

Time gentlemen please!

Post by smithy87 »

I sympathise with you Bothwell. Me, 2 margaritas, a missing sarong and a swimming pool have one hell of a story to tell one day! :guitarist

Alcopops are definatley a problem what with the amount of kids you see drinking them on street corners. Some are really cheap from corner shops (I've seen some at £1.15 a bottle) and with how old kids look thesedays they have no problem in buying them. So it isn't just a problem in pubs or clubs
Philadelphia Eagle

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Ha! LC knew what she was doing!

Margarita is no 'girly drink!' You comsume that in even small quantities at your peril!
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
lady cop

Time gentlemen please!

Post by lady cop »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: Ha! LC knew what she was doing!

Margarita is no 'girly drink!' You comsume that in even small quantities at your peril!well i shot myself in the foot, because his lips went numb! LOL :lips:
Philadelphia Eagle

Time gentlemen please!

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Serves you right for introducing an unsuspecting foreigner to Margaritas.

I suppose you told him it was 'only a little harmless girly drink!'
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
lady cop

Time gentlemen please!

Post by lady cop »

Philadelphia Eagle wrote: Serves you right for introducing an unsuspecting foreigner to Margaritas.

I suppose you told him it was 'only a little harmless girly drink!'hey, tiki bar, sunset after a lovely day at the beach:-6 watching the fishing fleet bring in their catch, he INSISTED on the margarita. heh heh..... and i was glad to oblige! it really was pretty entertaining. :D

Return to “England”