Saint David and Saint David's Day

A forum to discuss local issues in Wales.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Saint David's Day (Welsh: Dydd Gŵyl Dewi) is the feast day of Saint David, the Patron saint of Wales , and falls on 1st March each year. The date of March 1st was chosen in remembrance of the death of Saint David on that day in 589, and has been celebrated by followers since then. The date was declared a national day of celebration within Wales in the 18th century.

To celebrate this day, people wear a symbol of either a leek or daffodil. The leek is patriotic, arising from an occasion when a troop of Welsh were able to distinguish each other from a troop of English enemy dressed in similar fashion by wearing leeks. An alternative emblem developed in recent years is the daffodil, used and preferred over the leek by the English goverment as it lacks the overtones of patriotic defiance associated with the leek.

Children take part in school concerts or eisteddfodau, with recitation and singing being the main activities. Formerly, a half-day holiday was afforded to school children. Officially this custom does not continue, although the practice can vary on a school-to-school basis.

Public celebrations of St David's Day are becoming more commonplace. In many towns an annual parade through the centre of town is now held (see above). Concerts are held in pubs, clubs, and other venues.

The younger girls sometimes wear traditional Welsh costumes to school. This costume consists of a long woollen skirt, white blouse, woollen shawl and a Welsh hat.

The flag of Saint David often plays a central role in the celebrations, and can be seen flying throughout Wales.

Happy St Davids Day:-6
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Odie

Post by Odie »

Happy Saint David's Day!
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I've brought both a leek and a daffodil. :)

I've read that he was 145 years old when he died. ;)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Chezzie;1148270 wrote:

An alternative emblem developed in recent years is the daffodil, used and preferred over the leek by the English goverment as it lacks the overtones of patriotic defiance associated with the leek.

Children take part in school concerts or eisteddfodau, with recitation and singing being the main activities. Formerly, a half-day holiday was afforded to school children. Officially this custom does not continue, although the practice can vary on a school-to-school basis.

Happy St Davids Day:-6

Are you sure? In the school I work in, if a teacher were to pass among the children with a basket of leeks and said "Take a leek" there would be a lot of accidents and a lot of little wet bottoms! :wah: "Take a daffodil" is a MUCH safer thing to say to little children! :yh_rotfl

Post by 911 »

Chezzie;1148270 wrote:

Saint David's Day (Welsh: Dydd Gŵyl Dewi) is the feast day of Saint David, the Patron saint of , and falls on 1st March each year.

He's the patron saint of commas?:-2:wah:
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

911;1148537 wrote: He's the patron saint of commas?:-2:wah:

:p:o:o:o:o

Return to “Wales”