Journalistic provocateur

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Journalistic provocateur

Post by spot »

I'm delighted to see that 2018 has spawned a wonderful new euphemism for ********.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... r-students

Apparently Toby Young feels he has had two lives so far, that he "has cast his previous comments as remnants of a former life, for which he should not be judged too harshly now" and that "the caricature drawn of me in the last seven days, particularly on social media, has been unrecognisable to anyone who knows me". Nonsense, Mr Young. Rather like Michael Gove you were an intolerable prat and I have no doubt you remain as you were, just as Govey was and is. Both of you are contemptuous destroyers of the fabric of life in this country.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Journalistic provocateur

Post by spot »

Toby Young has never been a journalist. He has occasionally filled newspaper opinion columns. It's not even slightly the same thing.

Samples, perhaps. This is the chap whose board-level appointment to the Office for Students regulator was defended by Theresa May within the last week.

Selected from the first page of googling Toby Young:

The Telegraph - Telegraph Online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph " Finance " Personal Finance " Fame and fortune 21 Jun 2015 - Toby Young, a former contributing editor at Vanity Fair, is the author of How to Lose Friends & Alienate People

www.independent.co.uk " News " UK " UK Politics 25 Sep 2015 - Free school pioneer Toby Young described working-class grammar school boys who secured places at Oxford as "universally unattractive" and "small, vaguely deformed undergraduates".

www.independent.co.uk " News " Media " Press 26 Feb 2012 - Toby Young, The Sun on Sunday's political columnist, risked alienating potential readers before the newspaper's launch today, referring to the killing of schoolgirl Milly Dowler as "that murdered girl thing" on Twitter

WalesOnline: News, sport, weather and events from across Wales " News " Wales News

6 Sep 2014 - Writer calls the Welsh 'chippy' after he upset radio listeners by dubbing the use of the Welsh language as 'ridiculous'

https://www.theguardian.com " Arts " Books " Biography 2 Sep 2006 - He's the shameless self-publicist whom the media world loves to loathe. But, having crashed and burned as a New York journalist, a London playwright and a Hollywood screenwriter, Toby Young has (despite his best efforts) made a success of himself, says Lynn Barber.

https://www.theguardian.com " Education " Free schools 5 Apr 2011 - Anybody who has seen the film How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, based on Toby Young's autobiographical book of the same title, will know that Young is an imbecile, a prat and a pain in the hindquarters. On his own admission, he is a professional failure who has been sacked from every job he's had.

https://politicalscrapbook.net 26 Sep 2013 - Spectator columnist and Telegraph blogger Toby Young has spent hours removing embarrassing information from his Wikipedia page in a sustained campaign of edits lasting more than six years.

https://www.scotsman.com/ 2 Oct 2008 - TOBY YOUNG still finds it difficult to explain why, on his first day on the job at Vanity Fair in New York, he chose to wear a T-shirt emblazoned with the slogan, "Young, dumb and full of come" to meet the magazine's legendary editor, Graydon Carter. "Um, I guess I thought he'd find it funny," he tells me unconvincingly,

And, monstrously:
Sunday 1st July 2012

My latest Spectator column

I appeared on Newsnight last week to discuss Michael Gove's proposal to replace GCSEs with O-levels and CSEs and there was near universal agreement among the "educationalists" present that moving to a "two tier" system was a retrograde step. They acknowledged that some children would benefit from doing O-levels rather than GCSEs. But such gains would be more than offset by the harm inflicted on those children forced to do CSEs. Telling a child of 14 that he or she isn't bright enough to do O-levels would be an irreparable blow to their self-esteem. Much better to have a unitary system in which all children do the same exams, even if that means they have to be quite easy in order to be fully "inclusive".

Inclusive. It's one of those ghastly, politically correct words that have survived the demise of New Labour. Schools have got to be "inclusive" these days. That means wheelchair ramps, the complete works of Alice Walker in the school library (though no Mark Twain) and a Special Educational Needs Department that can cope with everything from Dyslexia to Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. If Gove is serious about wanting to bring back O-levels the government will have to repeal the Equality Act because any exam that isn't "accessible" to a functionally illiterate troglodyte with a mental age of six will be judged to be "elitist" and therefore forbidden by Harman's Law.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Journalistic provocateur

Post by Clodhopper »

Resigned. Thankfully. Hope that's the last we hear of him.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Journalistic provocateur

Post by spot »

He has a website from which I quote this referencing an article on hunting: "It was intended as a piece of liberal-baiting".

That's not journalism, that's an opinion writer. I happen to find his opinions and his technique repugnant.

No publicity is bad publicity, one assumes. Be visible or be nobody.

And the Prime Minister defended his appointment to the board of a public body? Shame on her too, then.
Clodhopper

Journalistic provocateur

Post by Clodhopper »

yeah, don't get distracted by this nasty piece of juvenilia from things like Davis going on - for over a year now I think - about how we can leave with no deal and then getting upset and complaining when the EU then say they are making plans for no deal!

Now he's going to talk to German business with Hammond.

Jesus wept. And that isn't blasphemy.

Wake up brexiters. You were sold a pup.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Current Political Events”