Well, that was an interesting G7

Discuss the latest political news.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Takes all sorts i suppose. Fanatism though is extremely dangerous and yes i think you can draw comparisons to despotic leaders around the world.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, if Trump has got a large number of worshippers and he can keep giving tax cuts then spot is right and he'll get re-elected in 2020.

I do notice Mueller is upping the pressure ahead of Trump's meeting on Monday. Curious how some things about power politics never change - leaving the country when a leader always makes you more vulnerable at home, even with modern communications.

I see as well that the US has just announced another tranche of tariffs on Chinese goods, saying China could not reciprocate because they didn't import that much from the US. Are there specific limits on tariffs that can be set on goods? Because if not, what is to stop China simply upping the tariffs it has already announced? Less likely but possible is some EU/China co-ordination. There is a summit on Monday...surely it inevitable the situation will at least be discussed even though it probably wasn't on the agenda when this was planned.

Edit: In addition, I believe today is the day the US is supposed to be collecting the remains of US servicemen from N Korea. This is after the collection was cancelled on Friday after the Americans turned up and were left standing around for several hours before being informed by phone that the meeting was cancelled. So it will be interesting to see what happens this time. Perhaps there will be a perfectly normal handover, perhaps not...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The N Koreans have now apparently said the remains of US servicemen will be handed over in 3 weeks. I don't know how long the US delegation was kept waiting this time.

Another diplomatic success for Trump!

Ted

Post by Ted »

Now Trump is bad mouthing his "friends" and giving praise to his enemies. With friends like that who needs enemies?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Whether by accident (useful idiot) or design (traitor) what Trump is doing as regards Europe and NATO couldn't suit Putin's purposes in the Ukraine and Georgia and Syria any better than they do.

Ted

Post by Ted »

Clodhopper right on. Trump is either incompetent or is committing treason in my view.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Ted;1520160 wrote: Clodhopper right on. Trump is either incompetent or is committing treason in my view.

Or both.

However, I sincerely believe that the reason he hasn't stopped a bullet yet is quite simply because those who have the means to arrange such assassinations are fully aware that he's simply the puppet, and that his strings are being pulled by Mike Pence, who is far more dangerous. I believe that Trump THINKS he's the one coming up with all the ideas, but he's just being cleverly manipulated. Of course, once Trump gets hit, Pence takes over as President, and his agenda is far more sinister.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

FourPart;1520168 wrote: Or both.

However, I sincerely believe that the reason he hasn't stopped a bullet yet is quite simply because those who have the means to arrange such assassinations are fully aware that he's simply the puppet, and that his strings are being pulled by Mike Pence, who is far more dangerous. I believe that Trump THINKS he's the one coming up with all the ideas, but he's just being cleverly manipulated. Of course, once Trump gets hit, Pence takes over as President, and his agenda is far more sinister.

Ridiculous.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Apparently Trump's election victory was with God's approval.

Frightens the life out of me.

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Caught a programme on CBS reality called tomorrows world. Being British I thought it would be a science programme but no it was about the end of time prophecies, apart from wondering what they have to do with reality I have the distinct impression these people look forward to the end of the world and will do what they can to make it happen. Frighteningly enough we have them here as well. It's like the insane have got out of the asylum.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Brexiters and Trumpists: The deluded, senile and cretinous of our countries. Same whiners, racists, conspiracy theorists, religious nutters, political extremists, climate change deniers and dupes. Yes, I think there is a serious risk these and their friends in other countries will be the death of us all, that what kills the human race is total dumb**** stupidity, which is why I have stopped being polite about it. I was polite before the vote and that had no effect, so now I am not polite in the face of the damage they are doing the planet and everything and everyone on it.

I see US borrowing has just hit levels last seen in the depths of the 2008 financial crisis - paying for the tax cuts. Brexiters over here still insist everything would be fine if only everyone got behind Brexit even though they still can't agree among themselves what it is and the ERG and far right are trying to force a hard Brexit. I've said it before but these people and Trumpists are the sort of morons who would literally die rather than admit they were wrong. They would certainly kill you rather than admit it but in my experience these people are cowards so you are entirely safe as long as you don't turn your back on them. Nothing bad is ever their fault but they are quick to take the credit for anything doing well.

They support Brexit they support Trump they support Putin and they usually deny climate change, behaviour guaranteed to make the world more corrupt, hotter and less safe. The leaders are the worst: The President of the United States allowing Federal Aid for the California wildfires which are part of the climate change he helps cause by encouraging the burning of fossil fuels - all for a few votes/dollars - is a classic example.

Let's not forget that Putin supports Brexit, as does his poodle, Reek (formerly known as Trump). While we're at it, let's note that a Russian biker gang called the Night Wolves has taken up residence in a farm in Slovakia which they are turning into a "museum" with lots of weaponry. The Night Wolves are made up largely of ex special forces (how ex is a good question) their leader has received an award from Putin while leader, not while officially in the special forces, and they are believed to have been involved in subversion and some serious fighting in the Ukraine, for example. I'm pretty sure the US has them listed as a terrorist organisation or something similar. Slovakia will be worth keeping an eye on in he next months. If previous form is a guide we can expect to see the intimidation and murder of people who speak against Putin.

Ted

Post by Ted »

Clodhopper I couldn't agree more. Just on the news Trump wants the Mueller inquiry shut down. Must be getting to close for comfort.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Ted: My first impression is that Mueller is attempting to slow boil this, which might back fire: If Trump wins bigly at the mid terms then I suspect he will succeed in getting the Mueller probe closed down. However, what are the American people going to do in the mid terms? I really don't know.

The other thing I've been wondering about the Manafort trial is what is its purpose? At present all I can see is an upping of general pressure but it could be that the probe has been going a while and it needs to show some tangible progress and the pressure here is on Mueller, with this trial being the result. Or it could be the opening shot of a carefully planned campaign.

I do wonder if its timing is to do with the mid terms. Suspect it is.

Ted

Post by Ted »

Trump isn't making too many friends. He is making very few. Bet Putin is having a good laugh.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Putin is having a great time. He's just hosted a very successful World Cup, he's disrupted the US and the EU which really helps his policies in the Ukraine, Syria and Georgia and his reputation at home is high (and not all for bad reasons. He did sort out a lot of issues at home). I've already mentioned reports I heard that the Russian people believe he was behind these things and are rather proud of it. And he had Trump do his "My name is Reek" performance at Helsinki.

I do wonder If he hasn't overplayed his hand a bit. Ok, the Brexit muppets here and the Trumpists over with you are incapable of accepting anything that doesn't fit their world view but I know a lot of ordinary people here are now looking at Russia with an enmity that is more personal than the Cold War ever was. Our intelligence services and yours are saying the Russians interfered and are still interfering and the international support after the Skripals poisoning suggests other countries are fairly suspicious of Russia also. There are serious suggestions that Putin is funding far right groups here and in the US. He has a track record of using these techniques (and more) in his invasions of Georgia and the Ukraine, and these campaigns allowed the refining of techniques and practice in putting them into action.

Another story I got from my Russian friend: In Russia there is a big games competition. Not sure if it's held every year or not but it is really big. Most of it is the usual sort of gaming stuff - get the high score by playing the game better than the competition. But one part is apparently called "Puzzles" or something similar and it is basically hacking security systems, presented as puzzles. As I heard it, if you get to the finals you are trying to hack the equivalent of national security systems...it has nothing to do with the Russian State at all, oh no, not in any way, honest.

Return to “Current Political Events”