The destruction of civil infrastructure

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

The destruction of civil infrastructure

Post by spot »

I note Russia is being criticized for destroying a third of Ukraine's electricity generation in the last few weeks.

I'd quite like to record America's 1990-1 attack on Iraq's civil infrastructure for comparison. We might get on to America's destruction of Iraq's civil infrastructure in 2003 later, which was even more extensive and long-lasting.
Amid mounting evidence of Iraq's ruined infrastructure and the painful consequences for ordinary Iraqis, Pentagon officials more readily acknowledge the severe impact of the 43-day air bombardment on Iraq's economic future and civilian population. Their explanations these days of the bombing's goals and methods suggest that the allies, relying on traditional concepts of strategic warfare, sought to achieve some of their military objectives in the Persian Gulf War by disabling Iraqi society at large.

Though many details remain classified, interviews with those involved in the targeting disclose three main contrasts with the administration's earlier portrayal of a campaign aimed solely at Iraq's armed forces and their lines of supply and command.Some targets, especially late in the war, were bombed primarily to create postwar leverage over Iraq, not to influence the course of the conflict itself. Planners now say their intent was to destroy or damage valuable facilities that Baghdad could not repair without foreign assistance. Many of the targets in Iraq's Mesopotamian heartland, the list of which grew from about 400 to more than 700 in the course of the war, were chosen only secondarily to contribute to the military defeat of Baghdad's occupation army in Kuwait. Military planners hoped the bombing would amplify the economic and psychological impact of international sanctions on Iraqi society, and thereby compel President Saddam Hussein to withdraw Iraqi forces from Kuwait without a ground war. They also hoped to incite Iraqi citizens to rise against the Iraqi leader. Because of these goals, damage to civilian structures and interests, invariably described by briefers during the war as "collateral" and unintended, was sometimes neither. The Air Force and Navy "fraggers" who prepared the daily air-tasking orders in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, took great care to avoid dropping explosives directly on civilians -- and were almost certainly more successful than in any previous war -- but they deliberately did great harm to Iraq's ability to support itself as an industrial society.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... da4e38e41/

electric power stations (92 percent of installed capacity destroyed), refineries (80 percent of production capacity), petrochemical complexes, telecommunications centers (including 135 telephone networks), bridges (more than 100), roads, highways, railroads, hundreds of locomotives and boxcars full of goods, radio and television broadcasting stations, cement plants, and factories producing aluminum, textiles, electric cables, and medical supplies.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060907153 ... mrubin.pdf

That to me, sounds far more extensive and far more lethal to the civilian population than anything the Russians have cooked up this year in Ukraine. Are we supposed to be for this sort of attack as a strategy, or against it?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Re: The destruction of civil infrastructure

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I'm against it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:58 pm Well, I'm against it.
And yet the Pentagon planners seem to have adopted it as normal practice. If people are describing it as a war crime in Ukraine, why is the US chain of command immune from prosecution? Do US prosecutors pretend the wars in Iraq were Just Wars? Seriously? And even if they do, how would that make these practices legal?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, some of that seems to be hung around the notion that there should be rules in War.

If we really are going to have rules about how to conduct a War then there must actually be consequences for disobedience to the rules.
Civilization has yet to advance to a state where we can develop enforceable rules for war.
The last several months have shown that.
But again, here we are, unable, yet, to agree even on who the bad guy is in this latest "war".
So, it seems we humans still have a long way to go.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Political Events”