Our first Posting Rule!

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
Tombstone

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Tombstone »

Hi Everyone,

As most of you have noticed, ForumGarden is not littered with "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST" warnings in any of our forums.

Unfortunately, we now need our first official posting rule. Here it is:

1. Do not hotlink images or graphics in your post! Please attach your image or graphic to your post.

Why?

a. Because hotlinked image(s) tend to be large and they blow ForumGarden's margins - making it very difficult to see or navigate through our site.

b. Because these images and graphics are almost always taken offline or moved by the provider you are hotlinking them from - leaving your post empty and broken.

If you need additional information about hotlinking, please read on:

"Hotlinking" (also called "hot linking", "leeching", and "bandwidth theft") is a term referring to when a web page of one website owner is direct linking to the images or other multimedia files on the web host of another website owner (usually without permission, thus stealing bandwidth). This not only causes the other person to pay for the bandwidth of the hotlinked file, but often is intellectual property theft. The term is also used loosely (a misnomer) by free image hosts which allow you to store images on their server and allow you to direct link the hosted image files on forums or other websites (sometimes altering the image to have a watermark). One of the most common occurrences of "hot linking" is when people are forum posting and they hotlink pictures from another website to use as avatars or signature images on the messageboards (forums). Some disadvantages of hot linking worth considering are that the webpage generally loads slower when you link to images stored on a different web hosting server than the webpage is hosted on, and the owner of the image has full control to disable hotlinking, or delete, rename, or worse yet, do a "switcheroo" (i.e., switching the file name to be another image which is sure to cause the hotlinker embarrassment) of the hot-linked image.

Don't know how to attach? Use our FAQ! http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/faq.p ... tlesonly=0

Please pay attention to this posting guideline. Hotlinked posts will be deleted.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
minks

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by minks »

thanks for that I had no idea.... and great to know.

Can you tell me what my password to my other computer is ahahahaha joking I am just going to borrow LC's gun and put it out of my misery. hehehe Ok seriously thanks Tombstone good info.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
lady cop

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by lady cop »

thankyou boss! :yh_hugs :yh_hugs :yh_hugs
minks

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by minks »

lady cop wrote: thankyou boss! :yh_hugs :yh_hugs :yh_hugs

we better keep bumping this one so Far sees it ahahahahahaha

― Mae West
lady cop

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by lady cop »

minks wrote: we better keep bumping this one so Far sees it ahahahahahahayeah, well you can't have my gun. :p you're a dangerous Canadian!
minks

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by minks »

lady cop wrote: yeah, well you can't have my gun. :p you're a dangerous Canadian!

darn :(

― Mae West
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

This is my own photo on my own webserver, is it illegal to insert it? If so I'll edit it out straight away.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

minks

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by minks »

AussiePam wrote:

This is my own photo on my own webserver, is it illegal to insert it? If so I'll edit it out straight away.

my unprofessional answer to that is ... looks ok to me hehehehe is that you on that bike?

― Mae West
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

That was just the first pic I came to Minks, but yes, I'm afraid it is me... grin. Can't remember the bloke's name... Brian possibly.

(Brian became the notional name of any bloke I even vaguely cavorted with, as I'd once typo'd something about brian overload instead of brain overload.) . Don't ask!!

Ahhhh... I did find the 'attach' function. You have to be in edit mode to see it... or at least I think you do. The pic I've now uploaded is on my own hard drive (legal, sulphyr crested cockatoos at dawn) - and is probably what Management means I gotta do. The other one is probably illegal. (Management makes me think of Carnivale - anyone follow that series"??)

Attached files

minks

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by minks »

AussiePam wrote: That was just the first pic I came to Minks, but yes, I'm afraid it is me... grin. Can't remember the bloke's name... Brian possibly.

(Brian became the notional name of any bloke I even vaguely cavorted with, as I'd once typo'd something about brian overload instead of brain overload.) . Don't ask!!

Ahhhh... I did find the 'attach' function. You have to be in edit mode to see it... or at least I think you do. The pic I've now uploaded is on my own hard drive (legal, sulphyr crested cockatoos at dawn) - and is probably what Management means I gotta do. The other one is probably illegal. (Management makes me think of Carnivale - anyone follow that series"??)

well my best advice if you are unsure about your pics you wish to post go into the photo posting threads or start your own one and try em and see what admin has to say. I store my pics on my computer then upload them from there. I hope they are right too.

― Mae West
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

I'm sure you're doing it right Minks. Much easier to do it that way too, than to create your own graphic, then hafta ftp it onto one of your webservers, the copy the url over and insert it. Uploading direct from my own hard drive is a comparative breeze.

minks

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by minks »

AussiePam wrote: I'm sure you're doing it right Minks. Much easier to do it that way too, than to create your own graphic, then hafta ftp it onto one of your webservers, the copy the url over and insert it. Uploading direct from my own hard drive is a comparative breeze.

goos stuff then we will be looking forward to more wild pics of you and all the brians hehehehehe

― Mae West
Tombstone

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Tombstone »

AussiePam wrote:

This photo is a hotlink. Yes, please make it a local file.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

Right, Tombstone, I'm clear now. Thank you.

abbey

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by abbey »

OMG..I'm the worlds worst, I'm hotlink champion supreme.

Oops better be careful what i say, Pina arena will want my title. :D
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

Come and stand in the corner with me Abbey, and we'll sulk together. Mebbe sneak a bottle of champers with us to ease the pain some.

abbey

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by abbey »

AussiePam wrote: Come and stand in the corner with me Abbey, and we'll sulk together. Mebbe sneak a bottle of champers with us to ease the pain some.Got the Moet Pam.. oops cant post a pic :sneaky:

Yes i can.....CHEERS :D

Attached files
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

Gosh that looks good, Abbey. It's too hot to sleep here - must be still in the high nineties Fahrenheit. And now I'm worried that my signature graphic is hotlinked.. grin... Let's pour a couple of long cold flutes of best bubbly, then I'll go see if I can work out how you 'attach' a signature ....

...... nar, can't see how to do that - so I've dumped the graphic and reverted to text. I shall eventually get it right... wicked grin

SOJOURNER

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by SOJOURNER »

Is using tinypic.com hot linking? :confused:
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

I think I've got the hang of it now Sojourner. There are lots of options available in the posting and personal settings areas which pretty much invite you to hotlink - but Management is right - it does steal bandwidth, and there can be copyright probs not to mention a lot of big graphics slow up loading in here.... I guess. Pity though.. i liked my little legal ones..... and my graphic signature

SOJOURNER

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by SOJOURNER »

To us unsavvy non-computer types even the explanations of their terms is confusing. I'd like it if they just said, don't do it this way.......... this is called blah-blah. Do it this way.
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

In spite of the heat, I really am going to bed now... but .. I must say using the browse function to upload images from your hard drive is really neat. AND so is the function which automatically reduces the image to thumbnail size. You click on that to get the full size graphic. Brilliant.

SOJOURNER

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by SOJOURNER »

How hot is it by you?
chonsigirl

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I hotlink them all the time-that's where the kitty came from.

But I try not to blow the margins.

Then I attached the file.

I figure, by the time the link is broken, it is weeks, months or years. Who is reading my old posts anyway?
Rapunzel

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Rapunzel »

abbey wrote: OMG..I'm the worlds worst, I'm hotlink champion supreme.

Oops better be careful what i say, Pina arena will want my title.

hmmmmm.... I do tend to do dat too :-3 but in my case its not a hotlink exactly, more of a warm connection *ahem* :D hehehe

Sorry bout dat folks! :rolleyes: ;) I need my bottom smacked! (woohoo!)
chonsigirl

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, what a student you must have been! Your teachers must have adored you, Snooze.:-4
chonsigirl

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by chonsigirl »

Tombstone, may we have some web space allotted to us, so we can upload images we want to use in our posting-in lieu of so much hotlinking?

Not the kind that attachment do, because then we have to attach it first0anywhere-to have it where we really want it.

That won't work.

But some webspace, is that an option?
theia

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by theia »

As you probably realise from my plain posts I haven't got a clue what hot linking etc. means. But what I have noticed is that if several very large images are posted on a forum page, it takes so much longer to scroll up and down. The scrolling slows right down over the image and then speeds up again. Am I completely on the wrong track? If so, just ignore me :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
orpheus

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by orpheus »

Sorry folks..........:-3 ..........wont do it again. :-2
chonsigirl

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by chonsigirl »

I would have never guessed!:rolleyes:
Nomad

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Nomad »

I still dont understand. How will I know definitively if its a hotlinked pic or not ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

G'day JAB, Nomad - I'm still trying to find out whether FG has its own jailhouse???

ForumGarden

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by ForumGarden »

Nomad wrote: I still dont understand. How will I know definitively if its a hotlinked pic or not ?

It can't be hotlinked if you upload the image by using "Manage Attachments" when you create your post.

HOTLINKED = image or graphic being pulled from ANOTHER place other than ForumGarden.

NOT-HOTLINKED = image is uploaded and stored on ForumGarden. Image is local to ForumGarden.

How? Use "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS."
BabyRider

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by BabyRider »

"First" posting rule my BUTT. We aren't allowed to mess with spammers anymore, either. :yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

AussiePam

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by AussiePam »

OMG Guys - literally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT WAS THE HEAD GARDENER - Himself / Herself

Helen

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Helen »

i am totally computor illiterate.

tombstone,

that was as easy for me to understand as un ravelling spaggettie !!:-2:-3:o:D
spot

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by spot »

That was written by the Tombstone we had before the one that was fired last Christmas. It's a really really old thread and he was a really really old Tombstone. We've had four or five since the site started, the title gets passed on as the site's inherited by beneficiaries. Except the second Tombstone, I think he got the site over a poker table.

The current one's some college kid with freckles who's so heavily into his Extraterrestrial Biology major that he doesn't log in from one week to the next. Maybe we'll see him post when the new term starts but these days he's in the library all his spare time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;940453 wrote: That was written by the Tombstone we had before the one that was fired last Christmas. It's a really really old thread and he was a really really old Tombstone. We've had four or five since the site started, the title gets passed on as the site's inherited by beneficiaries. Except the second Tombstone, I think he got the site over a poker table.

The current one's some college kid with freckles who's so heavily into his Extraterrestrial Biology major that he doesn't log in from one week to the next. Maybe we'll see him post when the new term starts but these days he's in the library all his spare time.

:yh_rotfl

One of these days you'll get yourself excommunicated :p
G#Gill

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by G#Gill »

bump
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Nomad

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Nomad »

Bryn Mawr;940566 wrote: :yh_rotfl

One of these days you'll get yourself excommunicated :p

Working on that.......
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bryn Mawr

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;940660 wrote: Working on that.......

Ever since I joined here you've been working on that :wah:

Here's to many more years of trying :-6
Nomad

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by Nomad »

Im actually quite fond of our little spocky.
I AM AWESOME MAN
G#Gill

Our first Posting Rule!

Post by G#Gill »

bump !!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “News and Announcements”