So Who is, was or will be in the military?

Hamster's Knight

Post by Hamster's Knight »

I didnt see a thread about this, but i'm not pro at searching....so figured I'd ask.

I'm a 20 year active duty USAF member, enlisted (21 in March). Worked the B-1B and F-16 as a weapons loader, was forced to cross train to Command and Control in 1997 (thanks...'preciate it).

To those that were/are/will be in their countries armed forces, THANK YOU :)

To those of you that support us...I know a lot of you out there do...THANK YOU too!

so...a show of hands? Stand up and be counted :)
reddog

Post by reddog »

I was. Worked on both B-1 and F-16 during R&D at Edwards AFB, Very early 80s.

Thank you and all the men and women serving our country. I retired as a Msgt after almost 23 years. Loved every minute of if. Hang in there. Reddog

BTW I was a load toad too. Maybe We know each other
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

reddog;1147537 wrote: I was. Worked on both B-1 and F-16 during R&D at Edwards AFB, Very early 80s.

Thank you and all the men and women serving our country. I retired as a Msgt after almost 23 years. Loved every minute of if. Hang in there. Reddog

Thank you for your service and welcome to FG :)
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

No, I'm not in the military Knight, but I do thank you for everything that you do for our country. You are all such brave men and women, and I do honor you all. A heartfelt thank you to you and all of our service people.:-6:yh_flower
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

reddog;1147537 wrote: I was. Worked on both B-1 and F-16 during R&D at Edwards AFB, Very early 80s.

Hi Reddog,

Welcome to the Garden. Thank you for your years of service to our country. I appreciate everything that you've done for us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :-6:yh_flower.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

21 years USAF. Retired as a MSgt in 2002. Damn! I can't believe it's been that long!
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Accountable;1147617 wrote: 21 years USAF. Retired as a MSgt in 2002. Damn! I can't believe it's been that long!

and your still saluting:wah:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Chezzie;1147619 wrote: and your still saluting:wah:
Bursitis. :o
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Thank you both for serving in the military and your service for our country. :-4
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Accountable;1147662 wrote: Bursitis. :o

Ya nutjob, I had to google that:o
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Yes, thank you both Reddog and Accountable.

I haven't been in the military but my son is currently serving in the Army and is making a career of it. He will be retiring in 6 years.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Sunshine;1147672 wrote: Yes, thank you both Reddog and Accountable.

I haven't been in the military but my son is currently serving in the Army and is making a career of it. He will be retiring in 6 years.
Don't forget the OP! Hamster's Knight's on the list as well.

There are tons of vets here. I'd try to list them, but I don't want to miss anyone.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Accountable;1147675 wrote: Don't forget the OP! Hamster's Knight's on the list as well.

There are tons of vets here. I'd try to list them, but I don't want to miss anyone.

Hampsters Knight, I thank you as well. I know that there are others on here too so thank you all. :-4
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Gorgeous dog, btw. :)
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Accountable;1147679 wrote: Gorgeous dog, btw. :)
Yes, she was a wonderful dog. Thank you Accountable. :-4
Lon

Post by Lon »

USAF 1952-----1956 Air Craft Instrument Tech----Kimpo AFB, Korea --- F 86 Sabre Jets, Mc Dill AFB, Florida, SAC---B-47's, TDY's to Sidi Slamane AFB, French Morocco, Torrejon, Spain, Nouasseur AFB, French Morocco, Santa Maria, Azores---Hon Discharge S/Sgt.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Hamster's Knight;1146568 wrote: I didnt see a thread about this, but i'm not pro at searching....so figured I'd ask.

I'm a 20 year active duty USAF member, enlisted (21 in March). Worked the B-1B and F-16 as a weapons loader, was forced to cross train to Command and Control in 1997 (thanks...'preciate it).

To those of you that support us...I know a lot of you out there do...THANK YOU too!

so...a show of hands? Stand up and be counted :) Funny....... I was only just reading my fathers log books recently. That war...... ummmmmm what was it called agin?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Hamster's Knight

Reddog...maybe we do...I worked the B-1 from 88 - 91 at Grand Forks and then the F-16 from 91 - 97 in Japan (Misawa, 13FS). Either of them sound familiar?

Accountable and the rest...thank you for your service! :)

and thank you to those that thanked us...i wasn't looking for thanks...:o...was just hopin to find other fly boys, grunts, jar heads or squids around here but it is always nice to read your support! thank YOU for taking the time to say so :)
spot

Post by spot »

Hamster's Knight;1146568 wrote: so...a show of hands? Stand up and be counted :)That's not a request for a show of hands supporting those who choose to join the military, I do realize that. Nonetheless comments like "You are all such brave men and women, and I do honor you all" call for a measure of balance. Is it the general mood of the thread that those holding the most powerful weaponry, with the best intelligence, the most money, the armoured vehicles and most of all the air cover, are such brave men and women? In contrast with what's effectively an armed civil militia against whom they're sent? I don't see it myself.

What I've asked in the past is whether we regard the people who saw off the Russians during the 1980s in Afghanistan as brave patriots or religious fanatics. Because they're exactly the same people who are fighting back against mile-high bombers and A10 tankbusters at the moment in the same place and they're doing exactly the same today as they were doing in the 1980s. Was Reagan right? Were they brave heroes? Or were the Russians the brave forces trying to bring civilization and justice to a backward tyrannical part of the world?

Why is there a double standard in coming to an answer?

How can anyone volunteer to join a military which is being used by politicians for such unjust ends?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
reddog

Post by reddog »

Spot,

I'm new to the forum and dont know what else you have asked in the past. I cant answer why all who volunteer do. I volunteered in the early 60s to keep from being drafted for Viet Nam. I still went to Nam and a few other places. Of Course we haven't had the draft for many years now. This war is being controlled by politicians. They have controlled ALL wars in our history as a country.

First of all, people who are in the Military dont make policy. The politicians that ALL Americans who vote elect these policy making politicians. (Both Democrats and Republicans) The job of the military is to carry out and enforce those policies. We didn't get to select the policies that we wanted to support. We supported All.

I dont know and dont give a tinkers damn what the russians did in Afghanistan. They were carrying out their politicians policy, If I remember correctly, we were in the middle of a "Cold War" with them and they were our enemy. So I guess it would depend on who you are enemies with at the time who the "Good Guys" are.

The people in the military have chosen an honerable profession. God Bless them
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

spot;1150110 wrote: That's not a request for a show of hands supporting those who choose to join the military, I do realize that. Nonetheless comments like "You are all such brave men and women, and I do honor you all" call for a measure of balance. Is it the general mood of the thread that those holding the most powerful weaponry, with the best intelligence, the most money, the armoured vehicles and most of all the air cover, are such brave men and women? In contrast with what's effectively an armed civil militia against whom they're sent? I don't see it myself.

What I've asked in the past is whether we regard the people who saw off the Russians during the 1980s in Afghanistan as brave patriots or religious fanatics. Because they're exactly the same people who are fighting back against mile-high bombers and A10 tankbusters at the moment in the same place and they're doing exactly the same today as they were doing in the 1980s. Was Reagan right? Were they brave heroes? Or were the Russians the brave forces trying to bring civilization and justice to a backward tyrannical part of the world?

Why is there a double standard in coming to an answer?

How can anyone volunteer to join a military which is being used by politicians for such unjust ends?
Off topic there Spotolicious, The question was not "What do you think of the military"? The question was "So who is, was or will be in the military"? tsk. tsk.:D
spot

Post by spot »

YZGI;1150397 wrote: Off topic there Spotolicious, The question was not "What do you think of the military"? The question was "So who is, was or will be in the military"? tsk. tsk.:D

I noted that in my first sentence. I was reacting to "You are all such brave men and women, and I do honor you all" but addressing the opening poster.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Never been in the military. Had to sign papers for daughter in her last year of high school to keep the school from releasing her info to the military. Not interested in it but congrats to you HK as its obs you are very proud.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1150406 wrote: Never been in the military. Had to sign papers for daughter in her last year of high school to keep the school from releasing her info to the military. Not interested in it but congrats to you HK as its obs you are very proud. I came that close to signing up to the army when i was in my early 20's...... God forbid.

There are perks to being in the British Army:

You get to follow America everywhere

Free prosthetic limbs

widows pension

free body bags

free flight home in your body bag

Total dis-regard by the British Public

It's a great life :D:D:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

reddog;1150351 wrote:

Spot,

I'm new to the forum and dont know what else you have asked in the past. I cant answer why all who volunteer do. I volunteered in the early 60s to keep from being drafted for Viet Nam. I still went to Nam and a few other places. Of Course we haven't had the draft for many years now. This war is being controlled by politicians. They have controlled ALL wars in our history as a country.

First of all, people who are in the Military dont make policy. The politicians that ALL Americans who vote elect these policy making politicians. (Both Democrats and Republicans) The job of the military is to carry out and enforce those policies. We didn't get to select the policies that we wanted to support. We supported All.

I dont know and dont give a tinkers damn what the russians did in Afghanistan. They were carrying out their politicians policy, If I remember correctly, we were in the middle of a "Cold War" with them and they were our enemy. So I guess it would depend on who you are enemies with at the time who the "Good Guys" are.

Hello and welcome to our forum :D:D
reddog

Post by reddog »

[/FONT

Thank you Oscar.

I spent 6 years in your wonderful country. I was stationed in Suffolk at RAF Woodbridge the first time 1963-1966 and again in 1978 -1981 at RAF Bentwaters. I visited again about 5 years ago. I still have friends and acquaintences living around Ipswich.:)
Oscar Namechange

reddog;1150470 wrote: [/FONT

Thank you Oscar.

I spent 6 years in your wonderful country. I was stationed in Suffolk at RAF Woodbridge the first time 1963-1966 and again in 1978 -1981 at RAF Bentwaters. I visited again about 5 years ago. I still have friends and acquaintences living around Ipswich.:) Fantastic :D I'll get my husband on this thread as he is ex RAF and knows all the bases. I wouldn't call this country wonderfull rihgt now though :wah: Although we do have a very groovy Prime Minister right now.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

reddog;1150351 wrote:

Spot,

Thank you for your service, Reddog. Understand that Spot hates America and all that she stands for. He once had a post stating his opinion than anyone who would join a standing army knowing he would fight on foreign soil was evil, therefore he believes you to be evil. Apparently he deleted that post because I had linked to it before and that link now goes nowhere.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/curre ... post927196

If you wish to know spot for yourself, I had built quite a tagline - ForumGarden - Threads Tagged with sha - It was called 'spot hates America'; but too blatant a truth ruffles feathers, so I rebuilt the list after mods had twice deleted it, and renamed it SHA.

So I suppose I'm saying, from one evil person to another, thank you for being evil. :)
Oscar Namechange

Accountable;1150679 wrote:

If you wish to know spot for yourself, I had built quite a tagline - ForumGarden - Threads Tagged with sha - It was called 'spot hates America'; but too blatant a truth ruffles feathers, so I rebuilt the list after mods had twice deleted it, and renamed it SHA.

So I suppose I'm saying, from one evil person to another, thank you for being evil. :) Well that's olved a mystery. I always wondered what Sha meant. naughty Accountable :sneaky::sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

Jester;1150691 wrote: Excellent so back to the original intent of the thread...

So Who is, was or will be in the military? I know British recruitment is at an all time low. Years ago, kids joined to learn a trade. There has been so much bad publicity here over Iraq and Afghanistan, I'm sure it has alot to do with it :thinking:
Oscar Namechange

Jester;1150695 wrote: You made me think of a good point, Oscar- This thread sais military, not which country-

Do we have any Non US military on the board?

You can put yer Grampa's service time and rank dawn! ;) You already know about my family's war history Jester. :)

I think the big difference with the military today and 25 yrs ago, is that you sign up knowing there is every chance you will get posted and every chance you will come back in a body bag.
Oscar Namechange

Jester;1150712 wrote: I spent 20 years in , often in harms way and I did not come home in a body bag. If you did, i wouldn't be talking to you :wah: I meant that any-one joining up now knows they will see active service and has to contemplate the thought of getting killed.
Oscar Namechange

Jester;1150723 wrote: Absolutely its a bit riskier- Some kids thrive on danger though, it just means they are more excited to join up!:D I'd love to see National Service brought back in. Some many kids were forced into it, but ended up staying in the military. It can give them pride in some-thing that alot of the kids nowadays don't seem to have. God forbid if we ever had a world war 111. British teenagers would be queuing up for the lawyers to sue under a breach of their human rights here.
Hamster's Knight

:(

I tried to make this international in my OP by saying "anyone" and "their countries" armed forces...sorry for any confusion people :)
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

spot;1150110 wrote: That's not a request for a show of hands supporting those who choose to join the military, I do realize that. Nonetheless comments like "You are all such brave men and women, and I do honor you all" call for a measure of balance. Is it the general mood of the thread that those holding the most powerful weaponry, with the best intelligence, the most money, the armoured vehicles and most of all the air cover, are such brave men and women? In contrast with what's effectively an armed civil militia against whom they're sent? I don't see it myself.

What is the matter with you? Why would you need to use a thread like this to make a statement such as this? Maybe you can start a thread in the political section if you want to.
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
spot

Post by spot »

Hamster;1150820 wrote: What is the matter with you? Why would you need to use a thread like this to make a statement such as this? Maybe you can start a thread in the political section if you want to.

To offer balance to cloying brainless sentimentality. Here's the breakout thread though I don't think I was off topic in the slightest. This is, after all, the Warfare & Military forum, not Introductions.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Hamster's Knight;1146568 wrote: I didnt see a thread about this, but i'm not pro at searching....so figured I'd ask.

so...a show of hands? Stand up and be counted :)

Hiya...I have no immediate family in the forces here in the UK, but my Niece in the US is currently serving in Afghanistan. Her husband who is/was also in the forces is looking after their twin boys. :)
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My brother is retired Army Green Beret, and now works anti-terrorism as a civilian. He's going back to Sandland this summer. I was hoping he was done with the dangerous stuff. :(
gmc

Post by gmc »

Jester;1150695 wrote: You made me think of a good point, Oscar- This thread sais military, not which country-

Do we have any Non US military on the board?

You can put yer Grampa's service time and rank dawn! ;)

Our viw of the military is a bit different from what you will get in the united states perhaps to do with our history of warfare.

Oscar's family history is interesting but hardly exceptional. (No offence intended Oscar but there are an awful lot of unsung heroes from ww2 around, flying a sipitfire was dangerous but so was being bombed by stukas, sticking a bayonet in to someone before they got you or going up against a tank you know was better than the one you were in. The germans called sherman tanks tommy cookers imagine how reassuring that was) You would be hard pushed to find anyone around her age that did not have relatives involved in ww2 or further back ww1 they truly were people's wars from our perspective they actually affected everybody's family. My father fought in ww2 ( I have had the surreal experience of visiting a museum in my brother in laws home town and realising that his father was at one of the same battles as mine but on different sides) -in fact I had only one surviving male relative that was not in the armed forces and that was because he was in a reserved occupation. I had female relatives in the wrens, wraf and the like or just stayed at home and got bombed out their houses. Most people had relatives killed somewhere in all corners of the globe and sometimes just at the end of the road. The vestiges of war are all around-there are old airfields everywhere. beaches with old ww2 blockhouses and tank traps concrete building in the middle of nowhere that you realise are the visible part of underground complexes.

Most combat soldiers don't talk much when they come home and the effects of war were so pervasive and so many were involved it wasn't really the done thing to talk about it in the UK and that has become part of our culture. It was only in later life that parents and the like started talking about their more extreme experiences. The there are dozens of autobiographies being published now as many get to the point they can tell their stories. I see the same phenomenon in america, a few are are by servicemen that served in the RAF and the like-they make fascinating reading. You can hardly turn on UK TV without seeing some programme about warfare (you tend to become very conscious of it when you have a german friend visiting-I had to explain why the phrase don't mention the war has her work colleagues in stitches. ). Doesn't mean we are not proud of our military it is just expressed differently. It's not just WW" it's korea, malaysis, kenya, aden, oman the falklands, ireland. Most scots at least are within two or three steps of knowing someone who has served in the military at some time or another or have a relative that did or does. I know plenty of ex-serviceman but you tend to find out in casual conversation rather than them introducing themselves as a veteran, it's just not the done thing.

The overt nationalism of the US jars with many in europe for historical reasons. We know too well where such blind my country right or wrong attitudes can lead. Same with militarism-without an actual war why do you need a large army. Doesn't mean we are any less patriotic but it does mean that insults to the flag etc are not taken very seriously and don't cause the same kind of umbrage that seems to have americans prickling at any perceived insult. Having said that you will find the average Briton knows a great deal about our history we're just a lot more cynical and jaundiced. We have a long military tradition with father following son or in some cases grandfather in to the same regiment-in basra there are monuments to the british dead that go back over a hundred years-the same in Afghanistan as it happens, the names on the tombstones are the same-sometimes it's even a distant relative. Recruitment in Scotland is down 70%-one of the things tony blair did was disband all the scottish regiments in the teeth of mass protest and despite the fears it would mean a fall in recruitment. As a military man i am sure you appreciate the meaning of tradition to a soldier. Apart from that this war is just not popular.

You would find it almost impossible in the UK to find anyone that didn't have relatives involved or killed in ww1 or 2 somewhere. Quite a few have lost relatives since then one way or another. You would find most Europeans exactly the same perhaps the russians and germans most of all. It's a common heritage of warfare that americans just do not share. I think that background and culture is one of the reasons why you tend to see little response from british poster on these kinds of threads and a lot less overt feting of our military although they are very much appreciated by ordinary people despite what spot says:sneaky:

posted by oscar

I'd love to see National Service brought back in. Some many kids were forced into it, but ended up staying in the military. It can give them pride in some-thing that alot of the kids nowadays don't seem to have. God forbid if we ever had a world war 111. British teenagers would be queuing up for the lawyers to sue under a breach of their human rights here.

I knew it, you're a closet fascist:sneaky:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, my Grandpa was an officer in WW1 - left his business to be either artillery or engineers (not sure which) and one of my cousins inherited the portrait of him in uniform, so I can't look at the badges very easily! He died when I was very small and I have only the vaguest of memories of him.

Dad was at Oxford in WW2 and was some sort of minor boffin.

As gmc says, two WWs and a host of "minor" conflicts since mean most of us have some sort of family connection with the military if you go back a couple of generations. I had certainly accepted that if there was another major war, I would join up as cannon fodder. Deeply glad I never had to!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Oh, forgot an Uncle in the Pay Corps in WW2 (volunteered and was slightly overage).
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Warfare Military”