US not ready for bioterrorist attack

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

WASHINGTON – A congressionally mandated panel says the United States isn't ready for a biological terrorist attack.

The Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation gives the Obama administration a failing grade for its efforts to prepare for and respond to a biological attack, such as the release of deadly viruses or bacteria.

Randy Larsen, the commission's executive director, says the poor preparation for the swine flu epidemic in 2009 is proof that the country is not positioned to respond to something more serious. Larsen points to the country running out of H1N1 vaccine despite a six-month warning from health officials that it would be potentially deadly.

Story Link: Panel: US not ready for bioterrorist attack - Yahoo! News
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

but really, is anyone?
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

mikeinie;1285493 wrote: but really, is anyone?

How true. What would you prepare for? Could you save everyone? You cannot be prepared for everything the costs would be enormous....:thinking:
gmc

Post by gmc »

worry about when it occurs to them they don't need elaborate plots to blow up planes or have bio weapons-a bomb attached to a petrol tanker outside the new york stock exchange or even simple car bombs going up in an underground car park or a bomb on the underground would actually be a lot more effective and far easier to carry out. It's not as if they don't know about car bombs and the like.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1285638 wrote: worry about when it occurs to them they don't need elaborate plots to blow up planes or have bio weapons-a bomb attached to a petrol tanker outside the new york stock exchange or even simple car bombs going up in an underground car park or a bomb on the underground would actually be a lot more effective and far easier to carry out. It's not as if they don't know about car bombs and the like. We are very much used to bombs and the like here are we not? America on the other hand pre- 9/11 was oblivious to attacks on their home-land. I think the US is getting more Jittery by the day now they have had three attacks on their home-land, two very recently.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

The answer can only be to add more tax dollars to the underfunded US military. Speaking of which, where did the postal anthrax originate, did anyone work that out yet? Yemen? North Korea? Al Qaeda?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1285716 wrote: The answer can only be to add more tax dollars to the underfunded US military. Speaking of which, where did the postal anthrax originate, did anyone work that out yet? Yemen? North Korea? Al Qaeda?

I'm sure It was a guy from Tower Hamlets.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1285721 wrote: I'm sure It was a guy from Tower Hamlets.

Surely not, it takes hundreds of millions of dollars to weaponize anthrax from scratch. You'd need a mulitary budget the size of... no, let's not go there. More money than Al Qaeda has though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1285723 wrote: Surely not, it takes hundreds of millions of dollars to weaponize anthrax from scratch. You'd need a mulitary budget the size of... no, let's not go there. More money than Al Qaeda has though.
That's a good point.

Return to “Warfare Military”