Afghanistan - Something to think about...

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

When a recent Rolling Stone article reached the desks of the mainstream media, they had a field day with General McChrystal’s contemptuous remarks against the President and Vice President.

Most people thought that the media's flare-up over McChrystal's comments was the meat of the story.

I have news for you. There was much more to the article.

Worse yet, I consider the "other quotes", to be the ones of scandalous value. Of course, these were not reported on.

Watch the video below. I think you'll get a taste of why the White House's lap-dog media didn't report accurately or truthfully:

Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
spot

Post by spot »

I wonder how much perception there will be in the US of that outcome being a party-political matter, and how much will recognize it as a foregone conclusion from the beginning. Are we going to hear "we'd have won it except for Obama", eventually? Or will it come out as damn, why do we ever think military occupation is a sensible policy. Slamming home the truth is the sole reason I wanted McCain and Palin in office this term. Military occupations are a lousy idea.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

spot;1319718 wrote: I wonder how much perception there will be in the US of that outcome being a party-political matter, and how much will recognize it as a foregone conclusion from the beginning. Are we going to hear "we'd have won it except for Obama", eventually? Or will it come out as damn, why do we ever think military occupation is a sensible policy. Slamming home the truth is the sole reason I wanted McCain and Palin in office this term. Military occupations are a lousy idea.

Obama has created enemies on both sides of the aisle regarding this issue. While the Democrats howled and screamed regarding the wars while Bush was in office, they remain duplicitously silent now that their man is in office.

Obama won on a platform of change. One of these "change" promises was to get us out of Afghanistan. Not only has he flip-flopped on this but has actually escalated our involvement.

Sobering is the thought that a guy like me has turned on this issue. It doesn't bode well for either the Republicans or Democrats. I'm an independent now. Most of my friends are the same now too.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'm not sure I understand the OP. Are you saying that the quotes in the video were not mentioned in the media? If thats what you mean then I'd have to disagree because I've read or heard them mentioned or talked about from day one.

I can't think of why anyone would imagine that a politician need not be political and play the political game. Obama, like any politician, said certain things during his campaign to secure votes. Can you name one, including tea party or libertarian members, currently running for any office that is not doing the same thing? Its true Obama is getting flack from both sides, but thats politics. Most representatives are doing their best to appear as though they are representing their constituent's opinions while in reality voting for whatever what will put them in a favorable light for corporate contributions for re-election purposes.

Unfortunately, these wars are now vital to whats left of our economic viability. Makes me wonder if the economy was sacrificed for the purpose of sustaining these wars. Economically, theres no way out of them unless America changes its values very, very quickly, and thats not going to happen. I'm beginning to think constant war is now a necessity for long term economic growth. Thats scary! It'll shrink world population if thats any consolation.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Tombstone;1319745 wrote: Obama has created enemies on both sides of the aisle regarding this issue. While the Democrats howled and screamed regarding the wars while Bush was in office, they remain duplicitously silent now that their man is in office.

Obama won on a platform of change. One of these "change" promises was to get us out of Afghanistan. Not only has he flip-flopped on this but has actually escalated our involvement.

Sobering is the thought that a guy like me has turned on this issue. It doesn't bode well for either the Republicans or Democrats. I'm an independent now. Most of my friends are the same now too.

Same here TS. I went from being a Republican my whole life to now being independent. The right wing republicans became some kind of crazy religious insane asylum.

It doesn't seem to matter who we vote in or what party, they all become a part of the old boy network and nothing seems to happen. Our government has become a government by the politicians for the politicians. Too hell with the people and what they want. Afghanistan? Get the hell out, what good can come of staying? If there is some good or an agenda, tell us what it is so we can understand.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1319752 wrote: Same here TS. I went from being a Republican my whole life to now being independent. The right wing republicans became some kind of crazy religious insane asylum.

It doesn't seem to matter who we vote in or what party, they all become a part of the old boy network and nothing seems to happen. Our government has become a government by the politicians for the politicians. Too hell with the people and what they want. Afghanistan? Get the hell out, what good can come of staying? If there is some good or an agenda, tell us what it is so we can understand.
oil

jobs in the defense sector

oil

fight terrorists

oil

reduce world population

oil

advance christianity

oil

assist Israel

oil

reduce the Muslim population

oil

And why do these issues matter? Because the people who support them vote and run for office with the backing of said industries and Israel.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1319750 wrote: Unfortunately, these wars are now vital to whats left of our economic viability. Makes me wonder if the economy was sacrificed for the purpose of sustaining these wars. Economically, theres no way out of them unless America changes its values very, very quickly, and thats not going to happen. I'm beginning to think constant war is now a necessity for long term economic growth. Thats scary! It'll shrink world population if thats any consolation.

You could, if I might suggest, continue to manufacture non-nuclear armaments[1] at the current rate and then dump 99% of them them into the nearest deep sea trench. The dumping would occupy your navy full time, your air force and army personnel could go out constructing reservoirs as a public service, nothing would cost any more than it does today and your economic basis would remain intact.

[1] You need to keep replenishing the nuclear ones though. That's your real existing basis for impregnability and long may it continue.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1319754 wrote: oil

jobs in the defense sector

oil

fight terrorists

oil

reduce world population

oil

advance christianity

oil

assist Israel

oil

reduce the Muslim population

oil

And why do these issues matter? Because the people who support them vote and run for office with the backing of said industries and Israel.

I suppose you're right on the oil at least.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"Obama, like any politician, said certain things during his campaign to secure votes."

How true that is.

Changes? I see the same old same old. Politicians for the polictician and big business. No matter how they try to deny it.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Warfare Military”