Gastric Bypass

BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Hello all, I am getting a gastric by pass. I have already started the paperwork and process of going through with it. I started out at 282 lbs and a BMI of 53.3 and I am down about 12 pounds.

I will be seeing my nutritionist for the first time tomorrow. Any thoughts? :thinking:
abbey

Gastric Bypass

Post by abbey »

What does it involve?
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Well, I am hoping to get a laproscopic RNY. It is where they seperate half or more of you stomach from the other part. It is reversible and it makes a tiny pouch of about a teaspoon to about the size of an egg. Then they allow you to slowly stretch it out over the course of 8 weeks to about the size of a cup and 1/2.

You will have to be completely under sedation to have it done. Sometimes they have to completely open you up.

I will lose between 70 and 120 lbs from this proceedure. They will have a nutritionist on hand. a psycologist will evaluate me and the program last for about 1 and 1/2 years to re-teach me how to eat properly so I won't gain the weight back.

Honestly there will be a few foods I will never be able to eat again but the trade off will be well worth it. I am super morbidly obese I am 5 foot one and 272 which is very dangerous.
abbey

Gastric Bypass

Post by abbey »

Wow!

You must have so many emotions running through you right now.

My Neice had a lapband fitted so I know that this kind of op can be pretty dangerous.

My very best wishes go to you and every success. :yh_flower
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Thanks abbey I haven't lost 1 pound in over 2 years I had balanced out at 282 and stuck there. Now I am going wild cause I have lost approximately 12 pounds. I will know what the nutritionists scales say tomorrow. I will tell ya all how much they say tomorrow.

;)
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

BarEdul;896315 wrote: Well, I am hoping to get a laproscopic RNY. It is where they seperate half or more of you stomach from the other part. It is reversible and it makes a tiny pouch of about a teaspoon to about the size of an egg. Then they allow you to slowly stretch it out over the course of 8 weeks to about the size of a cup and 1/2.

You will have to be completely under sedation to have it done. Sometimes they have to completely open you up.

I will lose between 70 and 120 lbs from this proceedure. They will have a nutritionist on hand. a psycologist will evaluate me and the program last for about 1 and 1/2 years to re-teach me how to eat properly so I won't gain the weight back.

Honestly there will be a few foods I will never be able to eat again but the trade off will be well worth it. I am super morbidly obese I am 5 foot one and 272 which is very dangerous.Good luck babe.......it wouldn't suit all of us having to go through that but you go for it and if it brings you the body you so wish for the way its done is your choice.Good luck;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
WonderWendy3

Gastric Bypass

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I wish only the best for you! :-4:-4

Please keep us posted!:-4
mrsK

Gastric Bypass

Post by mrsK »

Good wishes for you & good for you on the 12 lb weight loss:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Thanks gang to know you are watching helps too it helps to encourage and keep me on the straight and narrow. AS long as I am honest with myself I will do better than ever before. :-6
Kathy Ellen

Gastric Bypass

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi BarEdul,

Very nice to meet you and hope you have a wonderful time in the FG.

So sorry that you're going through the pains of this procedure. Best of luck and good wishes to you and a speedy recovery.

You are a very brave woman:-6

Sending smiles,

Kathy Ellen xx
nvalleyvee

Gastric Bypass

Post by nvalleyvee »

My FIL had this done. He lost over 250 pounds. All I can say is keep yourself healthy through supplements. I know your nutritionist will help with this. Good luck! I am sure the risk is well worth the health risk of being overweight.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

My bathroom scale read 17 pounds down today. I am wondering and anxious about what the nutritionist scale will say by the time I get there. I am so excited about this step I finally find out how much weight I have to lose before my surgery. I hope I can finish the weight loss and maintain it before surgery. Wish me luck today i still have to go over my paper work yet. :p
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

BarEdul;896651 wrote: My bathroom scale read 17 pounds down today. I am wondering and anxious about what the nutritionist scale will say by the time I get there. I am so excited about this step I finally find out how much weight I have to lose before my surgery. I hope I can finish the weight loss and maintain it before surgery. Wish me luck today i still have to go over my paper work yet. :p
Yer doing so well love......wish you all the luck in the world;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Victoria

Gastric Bypass

Post by Victoria »

Please Please think about this beyond the weight loss.

I work as a home help. I'm currently working for someone who has had this surgery,

she has lost a shed load of weight it's true but her attitude to food has not changed, I throw a dustbin liner full of over date food away on a regular basis because she has not learned to stop hoarding. They told her counselling would help. It hasn't .

She cannot eat fatty, fried, rich or creamy foods they cause almost instant instant diarrhoea, if she drinks her coffee ( half cup) too fast she throws up, she cannot drink any carbonated drinks at all. 1 glass of wine and shes drunk.

add to that the constant fatuige, she sleeps every afternoon has to plan each day and not over extend herself or else shes too tierd to move for days. She will proberbly never be fit enough to hold down a full-time job again.

She's just had surgery to take away the excess skin from her stomach but her health plan does not fully cover the costs as its seen as cosmetic, she cant even think about the surgery for her arms or breasts for another year due to the costs.

Yes she is skinner but is she happy? Sometimes she confesses if she had known the true cost she would have thought a lot harder about having it done.
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

Victoria;896786 wrote: Please Please think about this beyond the weight loss.

I work as a home help. I'm currently working for someone who has had this surgery,

she has lost a shed load of weight it's true but her attitude to food has not changed, I throw a dustbin liner full of over date food away on a regular basis because she has not learned to stop hoarding. They told her counselling would help. It hasn't .

She cannot eat fatty, fried, rich or creamy foods they cause almost instant instant diarrhoea, if she drinks her coffee ( half cup) too fast she throws up, she cannot drink any carbonated drinks at all. 1 glass of wine and shes drunk.

add to that the constant fatuige, she sleeps every afternoon has to plan each day and not over extend herself or else shes too tierd to move for days. She will proberbly never be fit enough to hold down a full-time job again.

She's just had surgery to take away the excess skin from her stomach but her health plan does not fully cover the costs as its seen as cosmetic, she cant even think about the surgery for her arms or breasts for another year due to the costs.

Yes she is skinner but is she happy? Sometimes she confesses if she had known the true cost she would have thought a lot harder about having it done.I agree it does have its problems but for every bad story you read like this one you will read 10 good ones....BarEdul is at her wits end and she cant live anymore as she is she feels and must have gone into what COULD happen Victoria and indeed what will happen......I admire her as it couldn't have been easy for her to take this road knowing the after affects.Weight is a problem to so many of us.....some are not bothered.....some cant live as they are.....either way its your life and you have to do what you feel is right for you and who are we to question that.Yes there are risks......but we live a life that is full of risks including what will happen to her if she dosent have this op.
Victoria

Gastric Bypass

Post by Victoria »

I understand her problem just thought I'd tell it from the other side. A lot of docs gloss over the negative.

And its a tip to check your health insurance beforehand to make sure they will pay for addition surgery if/when necessary.
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

Victoria;896822 wrote: I understand her problem just thought I'd tell it from the other side. A lot of docs gloss over the negative.

And its a tip to check your health insurance beforehand to make sure they will pay for addition surgery if/when necessary.I agree totally;)
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Okay good news, I weighed in 12 pounds down! Yeah,,, I should be eligible for the surgery and covered by my insurance. Final approval won't happen for 6 months.I got 6 months to take another 16 pounds.. :) I hope it goes as easily as the last 12 has then I have to keep it off.

Don't worry everybody I have heard the bad stories the diahrhea is called dumping if you eat what your not suppose to your body takes revenge on you. You vomit you poo and you feel horrible. You have to eat right exercise and make a life time commit ment to this it's not a one and done cure. YOu have to take your supplements. ( which I already do) eat protein, which I have started on and eat about six small very good for you meals.

Believe me it's not a simple procedure like most think it's a drastic answer for a drastic problem. I am hoping it will be an excellent tool for me for the rest of my life.
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

BarEdul;897382 wrote: Okay good news, I weighed in 12 pounds down! Yeah,,, I should be eligible for the surgery and covered by my insurance. Final approval won't happen for 6 months.I got 6 months to take another 16 pounds.. :) I hope it goes as easily as the last 12 has then I have to keep it off.

Don't worry everybody I have heard the bad stories the diahrhea is called dumping if you eat what your not suppose to your body takes revenge on you. You vomit you poo and you feel horrible. You have to eat right exercise and make a life time commit ment to this it's not a one and done cure. YOu have to take your supplements. ( which I already do) eat protein, which I have started on and eat about six small very good for you meals.

Believe me it's not a simple procedure like most think it's a drastic answer for a drastic problem. I am hoping it will be an excellent tool for me for the rest of my life.Ahhh bless.....go girl!!!!;)
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Thank you so much.. you are obviously along for the ride... thank you thank you thank you so much for your posts all of you.. :-6
abbey

Gastric Bypass

Post by abbey »

Well done Bar, You go girl. :yh_dance
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

abbey;897424 wrote: Well done Bar, You go girl. :yh_dance
Excuse me Miss Abbey but I just told her that:-5:p;)
abbey

Gastric Bypass

Post by abbey »

Carolly;897436 wrote: Excuse me Miss Abbey but I just told her that:-5:p;)
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

abbey;897444 wrote: :-3:rolleyes::p
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

I feel so loved some one is fighting over me LOL
Carolly

Gastric Bypass

Post by Carolly »

BarEdul;897451 wrote: I feel so loved some one is fighting over me LOL:wah::wah:;)
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Well, I just learned from my neurologist that my back meds were keeping me fat. He changed me to another med hopefully it will keep me out of pain and NOT interfere with my ability to drive I will be trying them today.

I am still losing weight quickly my nuerologists scale said 268.5 hee hee.
the highlander

Gastric Bypass

Post by the highlander »

bar my ex-wife had a gastric by pass march 17 in 03

she had to get it done 5 drs said do something they gave her two- five years

so i went with her and a friend of hers did too.. once your out of surgery

you'll be drinking blue ice if there's any leaks. once your home on the mend

take it easy she said her pouck would be the size of an extra large egg

herr cousin had it done as well, once the staples are removed have someone use vitamin E on the scar.. good luck she ate baby food and you might too
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

I have a whey protein drink scoped out that isn't too bad. I like it well enough to live off it if necessary. It also helps lower my appetite. I am into a size 26 dropped from a size 30 already. :) I am very happy with myself albeit a bit scared I will stall or lose my momentum.
the highlander

Gastric Bypass

Post by the highlander »

my ex-wifes cousin drank whey protein vanilla.. i had some it was ok

being scared is ok, i couldn't sleep in the bed with my ex

her mother was staying with us one night she slept on the floor

the other i did.. reason why they was afraid i'd hit her on her stomach in my sleep

i know what your going through, before my ex had hers done her cousin had hers done first
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

The surgery doesn't bother me to much they are going to be able to do it on me laproscopicly. Which is very cool six small holes rather than cutting the whole belly open. That's great considering the other option. I have to lose 28 pounds by surgery I have 12 -15 pounds off already. I need to lose about 13 more pounds. :) I am doing very well so far.

I just get scared I won't get the weight off in time.
cars

Gastric Bypass

Post by cars »

BarEdul;896311 wrote: Hello all, I am getting a gastric by pass. I have already started the paperwork and process of going through with it. I started out at 282 lbs and a BMI of 53.3 and I am down about 12 pounds.

I will be seeing my nutritionist for the first time tomorrow. Any thoughts? :thinking:
Well, just as an observation, since you're going to have this procedure done, why are you down 12 pounds already? :-2 One would think that why not eat, drink, & be merry now? And then after the proceedure, the weight will/should just shed off. (Just an off the wall opinion!)
Cars :)
the highlander

Gastric Bypass

Post by the highlander »

ahh your gonna get a lapband done cool.. good luck
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Because that's not how it is done... When you go for weight loss surgery you have to prove you are serious about a new life long change.

You will not be eating the same ever again and it will take will power and commitment. So they have you lose weight before the surgery not gain more.
cars

Gastric Bypass

Post by cars »

BarEdul;902666 wrote: Because that's not how it is done... When you go for weight loss surgery you have to prove you are serious about a new life long change.

You will not be eating the same ever again and it will take will power and commitment. So they have you lose weight before the surgery not gain more.
Well good luck to you, you sound like you are mentally geared up to accept this major life change! Best wishes for success! :)
Cars :)
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Thanks cars it's people like you and the others who wish me well that keep me going. and I appreciate all the support.
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

I started this little journey on June 1, 2008 I am a month into it and 14 total pounds down. YAH for me. Thought I would let you know that's a weight loss of about 3.25 pounds per week which is not bad at all. I hope to keep going. :-4
chonsigirl

Gastric Bypass

Post by chonsigirl »

That is excellent! Hooray! :)
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

I recently went on vacation, sticking to my diet to my horror was difficult. When I returned home I found I had gained six pounds, but while I was gone I had run out of water pills so I suspected some if not all of it was just that water. So I started back on them and to my utter relief 3 days later all the weight was gone. I have most of a week left to see if anymore weight comes off from water or if I didn't lose any weight while walking and swimming down there. I certainly hope so. Sometimes weight loss seems to take forever. :-5
Chezzie

Gastric Bypass

Post by Chezzie »

BarEdul;918091 wrote: I recently went on vacation, sticking to my diet to my horror was difficult. When I returned home I found I had gained six pounds, but while I was gone I had run out of water pills so I suspected some if not all of it was just that water. So I started back on them and to my utter relief 3 days later all the weight was gone. I have most of a week left to see if anymore weight comes off from water or if I didn't lose any weight while walking and swimming down there. I certainly hope so. Sometimes weight loss seems to take forever. :-5

Well done, your doing great:-6
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Thanks chezzie! My next nutritionist appointment is on July 31, 2008 and then I will see how much I have lost in pounds and inches. Hopefully it will work out to my benefit. I have plenty of time to lose the 28 lbs I am just anxious to lose it all.

I have to make a phone call to work out the financial end this week and then I will be all set to make my next appointment. Which is very cool.

:p:-6
spot

Gastric Bypass

Post by spot »

Not forever. A year sees a complete visible change. A second year sees the same again. Take a set of comparison photos on the first of each month perhaps, and flick through them after the first year and see how abrupt the change is over that time span. You're surely going to be healthier and more comfortable by the time you get there.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
mrsK

Gastric Bypass

Post by mrsK »

BarEdul;918091 wrote: I recently went on vacation, sticking to my diet to my horror was difficult. When I returned home I found I had gained six pounds, but while I was gone I had run out of water pills so I suspected some if not all of it was just that water. So I started back on them and to my utter relief 3 days later all the weight was gone. I have most of a week left to see if anymore weight comes off from water or if I didn't lose any weight while walking and swimming down there. I certainly hope so. Sometimes weight loss seems to take forever. :-5

It's better if your weight loss is slower, tends to stay off then.

Good for you ,keep on keeping on you will get there.:-6
kayleneaussie

Gastric Bypass

Post by kayleneaussie »

Congratulations you are doing so well :-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
the highlander

Gastric Bypass

Post by the highlander »

yes you are
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

I made it too a doctors office this week! YAaaaay for me... I am now at 266.6 I am down a total of 15.5 pounds leaving me 12.5 pounds that I have to lose before surgery. Remember I am required to lose 28 lbs my goal before surgery is about 56-57 pounds I am 157 pounds over weight at five foot 1. I know have 141.5 pounds to lose.

So far one of my success markers has been moving the car seat closer to the steering wheel. It's a strange triumph but a mighty one in my eyes as i was having to tippy toe the gas peddal.

triumph number two seemed to come yesterday when I realized i can no longer eat more than a 1 and 1/2 cup serving of any kind of food i just get full on that small of a serving now. I have at last shrunk my stomach on my own.. HOOORAY.. I was hoping to do this on my own. It has worked. Now my goal is too avoid stretching it again and to keep it that small.

Tonight I am having a cheap brand of pizza which also happens to be low calorie. I couldn't believe it when I found it by accident.

Thank you so much for all your vocal support it means so much to me!!! Honestly it does...
mrsK

Gastric Bypass

Post by mrsK »

Keep going you can do it slow & steady:-6
BarEdul

Gastric Bypass

Post by BarEdul »

Okay gang after nearly 26 years I bought my first pedal bike. It's fancier than my kids bike and I only paid $15.00 for it. I don't know if my knee will blow out first or if my asthma will kill me first but I am giving it my ole heave ho... wish me luck. I have a source of exercise now..
kayleneaussie

Gastric Bypass

Post by kayleneaussie »

wow I am so excited for you.....keep up the good work :-4:D
FOC THREAD PART 1

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”