Going on a diet

Raven

Going on a diet

Post by Raven »

Okay...I have lost 7lbs in the first week of my diet. (2.2kg or 1/2 stone)

2 slim fasts a day with fruit/veggie sacks and a beaned up salad for dinner.

cut sugar in coffee by half, and NO bread.

LOTS and LOTS of water.

I intend to introduce weight watcher meals in evening after two weeks.

I will keep you posted on progress.

My target weight loss is 30lbs or two stone and a bit.

(menopause really sucks, girls)
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Chloe_88

Going on a diet

Post by Chloe_88 »

Hi Raven,

Good job on losing 2.2kg! :D

Can you help me understand if the slim fasts are a temp thing or is it something you will be having to do the rest of your life? (in other words, is it a lifestyle change?).

I mean, what happens after you lose the 2 stone and a bit?
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

I've been on a diet regime for the past few months due to the fact that I need surgery on the back of my neck, and the surgeon says that before I can undergo the anaesthetic I need to lose 30kg.

So far I've lost 20kg - although I can't remember the time I last had a cooked meal - I've been living off fruit, salads & loads & loads of fluids. There's a new soup product out (new to me, anyway) - the brand name is Yorkshire Provender, but the own brands are exactly the same (and looking at the pot design, made by exactly the same people). They're 600ml pots which you either heat up in the microwave for 4 mins, or in a pan. There's a variety of flavours, and the Chunky Vegetable one is more like a stew. They are delish, filling, and very healthy.

One problem of weight loss is that when on a very limited income, as I am, the healthy eating foods cost a lot more than the cheaper, more filling, not so healthy ones. There is also the problem of replacing clothes when they're constantly getting far too big, and when I order replacements, by the time they arrive, or shortly afterwards, they too big once again, so over the past few days I've been doing a bit of home tailoring, taking everything in (from 52" waist to 44" - so far). I've also just been looking in my cupboards with the intention of finding other trousers that I could in the batch, but instead came across my little hoard of ones that had 'shrunk' which I had stowed away 'just in case'. Well, it seems that that 'just in case' day is here, and I can, once again, fit into quite a few of them, with a realistic prospect of fitting in others in the near future.

It's silly little things like this that give encouragement. After all, although other people may notice the change when they only you every week or so, you don't get to notice the change so much in yourself without some scale of reference, as it happens so gradually.

Of course, another important part of the regime is that I try to get in 100 x 25m lengths at the baths at least once a week.
AddictedToYou

Going on a diet

Post by AddictedToYou »

Good job raven keep it up
[Link removed by Moderator].
kazalala

Going on a diet

Post by kazalala »

FourPart;1457912 wrote: I've been on a diet regime for the past few months due to the fact that I need surgery on the back of my neck, and the surgeon says that before I can undergo the anaesthetic I need to lose 30kg.

So far I've lost 20kg - although I can't remember the time I last had a cooked meal - I've been living off fruit, salads & loads & loads of fluids. There's a new soup product out (new to me, anyway) - the brand name is Yorkshire Provender, but the own brands are exactly the same (and looking at the pot design, made by exactly the same people). They're 600ml pots which you either heat up in the microwave for 4 mins, or in a pan. There's a variety of flavours, and the Chunky Vegetable one is more like a stew. They are delish, filling, and very healthy.

One problem of weight loss is that when on a very limited income, as I am, the healthy eating foods cost a lot more than the cheaper, more filling, not so healthy ones. There is also the problem of replacing clothes when they're constantly getting far too big, and when I order replacements, by the time they arrive, or shortly afterwards, they too big once again, so over the past few days I've been doing a bit of home tailoring, taking everything in (from 52" waist to 44" - so far). I've also just been looking in my cupboards with the intention of finding other trousers that I could in the batch, but instead came across my little hoard of ones that had 'shrunk' which I had stowed away 'just in case'. Well, it seems that that 'just in case' day is here, and I can, once again, fit into quite a few of them, with a realistic prospect of fitting in others in the near future.

It's silly little things like this that give encouragement. After all, although other people may notice the change when they only you every week or so, you don't get to notice the change so much in yourself without some scale of reference, as it happens so gradually.

Of course, another important part of the regime is that I try to get in 100 x 25m lengths at the baths at least once a week.

why would you not have a cooked meal? there are lots that are healthy and low fat. For instance I am having chicken breast with veg for tea,, white meat and veg ,, the only thing not that healthy is the gravy but its not so bad. There are absolutely loads of meals that are low fat,,, what type of things do you normally eat? I bet I can tell you low fat low calorie versions of moat meals :) Just dont eat pastry, biscuits, cakes, crisps etc.. eat lean meat, fish, seafood, pasta, rice, veg, salad and cook from scratch. its easier than you think> all these ready meals, jar sauces etc are a massive con IMO.

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

Unfortunately I've hit the dreaded plateau, where nothing's happening any more. I've been put onto Metaformin, but that doesn't seem to be having any effect. It doesn't help matters either that I'm unable to do my swimming, due to my shoulder which, despite all the scary medical terminology is actually a case of Arthritis, probably brought on by all the swimming. I now have a Physio appointment on 9th September.

Mind you, it gave a bit of a boost to my morale when the doctor saw me & had to double check her figures, as when she saw me last I was over 160kg. I'm now at 138kg (and that's roughly where it seems to be staying). She also complimented me on my tailoring from where I'd taken in my trousers (which are needing to be taken in again soon - I'm already having to rely on belts - which I've also had to punch extra holes in & trim back).
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

I really must try some of these recipes sometime...

100 + Wartime Recipes | The 1940's Experiment

They're all based on the restrictions of Wartime Rations, and as the wartime is generally recognised as probably having the healthiest diet in our history it might be worth it.

Some of the items look extremely tempting. But, then, I'm the type that can burn water.
Loona90

Going on a diet

Post by Loona90 »

kazalala;1462418 wrote: why would you not have a cooked meal? there are lots that are healthy and low fat. For instance I am having chicken breast with veg for tea,, white meat and veg ,, the only thing not that healthy is the gravy but its not so bad. There are absolutely loads of meals that are low fat,,, what type of things do you normally eat? I bet I can tell you low fat low calorie versions of moat meals :) Just dont eat pastry, biscuits, cakes, crisps etc.. eat lean meat, fish, seafood, pasta, rice, veg, salad and cook from scratch. its easier than you think> all these ready meals, jar sauces etc are a massive con IMO.

I agree with you kazalala, I have made good expierences with low carb diets. But not as extreme as atkins... more the moderate ones.

To lose weight it's important to have fullness and a calorie deficit. Only this way you may run through the diet with success.

The safiest approach is to have proteins (eggs, fish, meat), healthy fats and A LOT of green veggies/salat which make full.

Personally I would watch out when you combine (trans)fat and carbohydrates...

But so far you did a good job, best wishes :)
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

I'm currently expecting a telephone appointment with my Nurse Practitioner to discuss putting me on a different diet med. The Metaphormin had no effect whatsoever, but apparently this new one (Orlistat) is specifically designed for the purpose. However, it is expensive & only prescribed to those who have proven to have made a worthwhile effort to lose weight, and my Diet Nurse believes that a loss of 20Kg thus far is evidence enough of that.

The Diet Nurse cannot prescribe it herself, which is why I need the telephone appointment with the Nurse Practitioner.

Incidentally, before I even started on the diet my doctor told me under NO circumstances to even CONSIDER the Atkins diet, as she thinks it is an extremely dangerous option.
Loona90

Going on a diet

Post by Loona90 »

Oh okay, I see... do you really need the medicine?

Weight loss with supps, pills or shakes as meal replacement isn't going well I can assure you.

In general I'm convinced that for overweight and obese people low carb always works.

Between 50g-100g per day are moderate so far, not as in the atkins diet where you start with only 20g of carbs!

So keep me up to date with your telephone appointment!
LarsMac

Going on a diet

Post by LarsMac »

I have been fairly successful with a simple change to my diet.

Carbs in the morning are OK, when I will be doing physical activity. Lunch is mostly protein with fat, and veggies. Salmon or other fatty fish is ideal.

Dinner is primarily low carb vegetables and protein. and a very small snack at bedtime.

I had gone from +300 lb to 220 lb in a couple of years with that diet.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

She didn't actually call. I phoned the surgery this morning, and they confirmed that although I had been on the telephone appointment list, she thought it was an in surgery appointment that I had missed. Anyway, we spoke on the phone and she approved the prescription of Orlistat. This isn't a replacement for a meal (nor was the Metaphormin), but something that changes the metabolism, disabling the body from digesting fats, thus making it pass straight through & must, therefore, be taken with meals.

I've got a full face to face appointment tomorrow, when I'll pick up the prescription, which has already been signed. The prescription is only a 3 week course to start off with. If it doesn't work, then it will be discontinued, which is fine by me, as the Metaformin didn't work on me either, so it was me who decided that there no point in continuing with it.
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

Despite being put the new med (Orlistat), my weight has just crept back up into the 140s, so I've just got back from a ½ mile jog, and I am KNACKERED. Still feeling dizzy. It's the first time I've been jogging since... well, ever.

True enough it ended up more like staggering than jogging, but I made the target - down to the end of the Shore Road & back. Of course, once you get to the end (the half way mark) there's no kopping out - although at that point it doesn't seem so far on the homeward journey.
Betty Boop

Going on a diet

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1465181 wrote: Despite being put the new med (Orlistat), my weight has just crept back up into the 140s, so I've just got back from a ½ mile jog, and I am KNACKERED. Still feeling dizzy. It's the first time I've been jogging since... well, ever.

True enough it ended up more like staggering than jogging, but I made the target - down to the end of the Shore Road & back. Of course, once you get to the end (the half way mark) there's no kopping out - although at that point it doesn't seem so far on the homeward journey.

Well, well done! But I have to ask have you done any prep before running? Something like this would be good preparation

Beginners Training Schedules - Beginners - Runner's World

I must re-start my six week walking plan that leads up to running, the walking just makes sure you have primed all the muscles before you start really hammering them by 'running'. It's a good idea to protect yourself from the get go from injury.

If I find the walking plan again I'll post you that link too and maybe we ought to report back to FG on our training issues!
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

My prep consisted of getting dressed & putting my MP3 player on.

Overall it took about 20 - 30 mins.

On the outward run it was an actual jog, breathing in on every 3rd step.

At the halfway point there was a couple of minutes to recover, holding onto the 'Mile Marker' sign for dear life.

I started jogging back, but most of the return all I could manage was a stagger, veering from side to side a bit from dizziness, at which stage I kept breaking more into a walk. I did force a jog, but to be honest my 'jogging' pace ended up no real different to my walking step.

My legs are still aching & my chest is feeling like I been a victim of smoke inhalation.
Betty Boop

Going on a diet

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1465186 wrote: My prep consisted of getting dressed & putting my MP3 player on.

Overall it took about 20 - 30 mins.

On the outward run it was an actual jog, breathing in on every 3rd step.

At the halfway point there was a couple of minutes to recover, holding onto the 'Mile Marker' sign for dear life.

I started jogging back, but most of the return all I could manage was a stagger, veering from side to side a bit from dizziness, at which stage I kept breaking more into a walk. I did force a jog, but to be honest my 'jogging' pace ended up no real different to my walking step.

My legs are still aching & my chest is feeling like I been a victim of smoke inhalation.

Blimey, you need to build up more slowly or you will give up because you feel like crap or you will injure yourself.

I've been for a fast 15min walk, not sure how far I walked. I finished off with a minutes running approaching home but with enough space to finish with walking.

I am building up slowly because I have a brother who has trained and run in marathons and has ended up injured from doing too much too soon many times in the past. :)

I can't for the life of me find the walk to run plan, it was basically walking on certain days with rest days in between and you built up the length of the walks by five to ten minutes each week.
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

It's at times like this that being allowed to have a dog might be helpful - being made to take it for its walkies, come rain or shine. However, living in a Tower Block, that's simply not possible.
kentro

Going on a diet

Post by kentro »

Yaah all supplements are very time limited , as we cannot continue having shakes for our entire life and when we get back to our normal routine food than we gain weight, thats not the right way.

Eat right drink lots of water and eat fresh.
DarrylC1

Going on a diet

Post by DarrylC1 »

I do intermittent fasting, I eat on the 8 hr period, then I fast for 16 hrs
FourPart

Going on a diet

Post by FourPart »

I'm hoping that having a job will help me with weight loss now, as it's limiting me to the sandwiches I take in with me, rather than the temptation to snack all the time at home out of sheer boredom.

Plus the sandwiches I take in are Coleslaw in Wholemeal Bread - Tasty, yet healthy & nutritious.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”