What kind of fish is this?

CVX

Post by CVX »

A strange looking sea creature washed up on the shores of Cayman Brac this weekend.

Layman Scott found the fish while walking along the beach early Sunday morning. It is roughly thirty inches long, more than half of which is a long, eel-like tail attached to a fish body. It has pale pink scales, pectoral fins, a dorsal fin and a small feathery fin on its belly.

Local fishermen say they have not seen a creature quite like this before. It has boney bristles all along its spine, right down to the tip of its tail and small sharp teeth, which curve slightly inward.

The sighting has been reported to the Department of Environment, but meanwhile, The Bracker and Little Caymanian is inviting readers to see if they can identify this fish.

Attached files
scotty

Post by scotty »

That is one weird looking fish, its head looks like a Cod, if it wasnt for the tail I would say it was a Cod, but the tail throws me.

Scott
pompeygirl

Post by pompeygirl »

very odd looking
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

DINOFISH.com - COELACANTH: THE FISH OUT OF TIME COELACANTH; A prehistoric fish once thought to be extinct found living in modern times. The Coelacanth Rescue Mission strives to preserve these remarkable ...

www.dinofish.com/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pagesCoelacanth, Latimeria chalumnae perhaps this is it? or a relation?
Lon

Post by Lon »

CVX wrote: A strange looking sea creature washed up on the shores of Cayman Brac this weekend.

Layman Scott found the fish while walking along the beach early Sunday morning. It is roughly thirty inches long, more than half of which is a long, eel-like tail attached to a fish body. It has pale pink scales, pectoral fins, a dorsal fin and a small feathery fin on its belly.

Local fishermen say they have not seen a creature quite like this before. It has boney bristles all along its spine, right down to the tip of its tail and small sharp teeth, which curve slightly inward.

The sighting has been reported to the Department of Environment, but meanwhile, The Bracker and Little Caymanian is inviting readers to see if they can identify this fish.

I believe that fish is a "Monk Fish". Ugly thing, but quite delicious. I had Monk for dinner last Wednesday eve. Do a Google Image on "Monk Fish"
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i think you're right Lon, i remember when Julia Child cooked one on her program, it was huge and ugly, and only a small portion is edible.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

here it is.....

Attached files
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

it's a "Dork Fish"

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Its a Zoobachia Ricotta Paleonthesaurus
I AM AWESOME MAN
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

It's just plain freaky looking. And if that has washe dup on a beach, I for sure will never go into a ocean. I have hard enough time swimming in Lake meredith without worring bout Catfish mike getting me. :o
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
spot

Post by spot »

Found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattail

Found at great depths from the Arctic to Antarctic, members of this family are among the most abundant of the deep-sea fishes. Grenadiers are perhaps best known for their cameo in the blockbuster film Titanic, where the fish are glimpsed during ROV reconnaissance of the wreck.

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Looks like some kind of dork fish.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Marie5656;479247 wrote: Looks like some kind of dork fish.

That was going to my reply....:wah:
guppy

Post by guppy »

it's my great great grandfather.....he was in his cups again and wandered to shore......:D
koan

Post by koan »

water water everywhere, and nary a drop to drink
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

WonderWendy3;479276 wrote: That was going to my reply....:wah:

And I did not even notice till I posted that Wolverine beat both of us to the dorkfish answer. :wah:
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Marie5656;479295 wrote: And I did not even notice till I posted that Wolverine beat both of us to the dorkfish answer. :wah:

I did, he's a quick one...I thought of it when I saw the thread...but you guys are too quick for me!!
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

scotty;213407 wrote: That is one weird looking fish, its head looks like a Cod, if it wasnt for the tail I would say it was a Cod, but the tail throws me.

Scott

maybe a judo fish :wah: :wah:

sorry

Return to “Science”