Scientists Find 178 New Species in Oceans

CVX

Post by CVX »

WASHINGTON (AP) - Marine scientists say they have discovered 178 new species of fish and hundreds more new species of plants and other animals in the past year, raising the number of life-forms found in the world's oceans to about 230,000.
MiwSher

Post by MiwSher »

What an interesting article! Thanks for posting that. Doesn't it seem a bit of a paradox? I mean, I believe we need to care for and nurture the earth by such methods as stopping pollution, etc. Yet new, or rather, as yet undiscovered life forms are cropping up. To borrow a phrase from the movie "Jurassic Park," apparently life does find a way. But are these life forms thriving in spite of us or because of us?

MiwSher
Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe ;)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

MiwSher wrote: What an interesting article! Thanks for posting that. Doesn't it seem a bit of a paradox? I mean, I believe we need to care for and nurture the earth by such methods as stopping pollution, etc. Yet new, or rather, as yet undiscovered life forms are cropping up. To borrow a phrase from the movie "Jurassic Park," apparently life does find a way. But are these life forms thriving in spite of us or because of us?

MiwSher

They're not "new life forms", they've been around for a long time - we just haven't noticed them until now. Of the ones we *have* noticed, it's amazing how many have already and will simply cease to exist - because of our activities.

Return to “Science”