Solar: Yea or Nea?

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I just saw an episode of NOVA called Saved by the Sun. Check out chapter 4 to see what Germany's doing. What do you think about it? Is it a smart enough investment for a national incentive program like Germany's? Should we wait for someone else like China to create demand and lower prices? What are your thoughts?

The only two homes I've owned both had HOAs attached that prohibited solar panels. I would love to buy a few acres in the country with a well and solar panels to make me independent of the utility companies.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My home in LA I am going to modify to use solar energy when I return one day. I had it built so that it would get the best exposure for catching those free rays.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Well out here in San Diego its should be the norm with almost 365 days of Sun. There are incentive programs offered by the Gas company but it should be National incentive program its the way to go.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Accountable;913789 wrote: I just saw an episode of NOVA called Saved by the Sun. Check out chapter 4 to see what Germany's doing. What do you think about it? Is it a smart enough investment for a national incentive program like Germany's? Should we wait for someone else like China to create demand and lower prices? What are your thoughts?

The only two homes I've owned both had HOAs attached that prohibited solar panels. I would love to buy a few acres in the country with a well and solar panels to make me independent of the utility companies.

I know a good place! :D
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I think solar is a YEA

I have solar panels - which heats the hot water tank

we plan on installing more panels in the future.

Our HOA allows us to do so.

Patsy
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

CARLA;914003 wrote: Well out here in San Diego its should be the norm with almost 365 days of Sun. There are incentive programs offered by the Gas company but it should be National incentive program its the way to go.
I like the idea of the power company taking the lead takes out the gov't as a middleman. What kinds of incentives?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

ACC, here is a link to SDG&E site referencing the Solor incentives. Its all very detailed so I took the easy way out and posted the link. :D

http://www.sdge.com/business/netMetering.shtml
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

CARLA;914982 wrote: ACC, here is a link to SDG&E site referencing the Solor incentives. Its all very detailed so I took the easy way out and posted the link. :D

http://www.sdge.com/business/netMetering.shtml
That seems like a pretty sweet deal. :-6
Clint

Post by Clint »

This is an industry that is about to explode. There are new start-up companies poping up all over the place. I say leave it to the private sector and let competition control the price so when the R&D is paid for it becomes affordable for everyone.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

After seeing that NOVA episode, I can foresee a time when roof shingles will be solar panels, and virtually every house will have them.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

ACC here is a link to the latest and greatest thing SDG&E are planning for San Diego, pretty cool if you ask me. :cool:

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=275137
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Carla

What a great idea - love it.. I'm all for solar

I'm not sure & will check on incentives for homeowners here.

Government incentives & associates aren't publisized as they should be

I enjoyed the link

Patsy
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Patsy San Diego is making strideS in a lot of "Green" areas, Solar is just one. You live in Sunshine just about as much as I do and what better places to have SOLAR POWER. :-6:-6

[QUOTE]Carla

What a great idea - love it.. I'm all for solar

I'm not sure & will check on incentives for homeowners here.

Government incentives & associates aren't publisized as they should be

I enjoyed the link

Patsy[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Clint

Post by Clint »

Here's a company that's on the move with cutting edge technology.

http://www.xsunx.com/facility-production.htm
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

I believe that photovoltaic cells aren't as environmentally clean as they look. With about 2.5 years of operation before the energy out equals the energy in, and the heavy metals (not always) used in construction are significant environmental drawbacks.

Concentration Solar energy seems pretty kick-arse if you have a bit of land though. (That is where you reflect a wide area of sunlight onto a boiler, that generates steam and turns a steam turbine). There's only prototypes in production at the moment, but I reckon it's got a great future.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Bored_Wombat;933076 wrote: I believe that photovoltaic cells aren't as environmentally clean as they look. With about 2.5 years of operation before the energy out equals the energy in, and the heavy metals (not always) used in construction are significant environmental drawbacks.

Concentration Solar energy seems pretty kick-arse if you have a bit of land though. (That is where you reflect a wide area of sunlight onto a boiler, that generates steam and turns a steam turbine). There's only prototypes in production at the moment, but I reckon it's got a great future.
photovoltaic cells. Is that what the Germans are using?
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

Accountable;933162 wrote: photovoltaic cells. Is that what the Germans are using?

That was my impression, but I only watched the video that you linked to.

I am impressed by the mass production that the country instigated by enacting a law requiring the power companies to buy electricity at 2.5 times what they sell it for.

And with that the economies of scale. Very cool.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Accountable;913789 wrote: I just saw an episode of NOVA called Saved by the Sun. Check out chapter 4 to see what Germany's doing. What do you think about it? Is it a smart enough investment for a national incentive program like Germany's? Should we wait for someone else like China to create demand and lower prices? What are your thoughts?

My nephew had solar panels fitted when he had his house built in the south of Spain, the government gives a grant to encourage people to do it and the savings they make are fantastic.

Saying that, they have sun for around 50 weeks of the year so it's well worth laying the money out.

Whereas here in England where we get around two weeks of sunshine we'd be up the creek without hot water. :wah:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

abbey;933438 wrote: My nephew had solar panels fitted when he had his house built in the south of Spain, the government gives a grant to encourage people to do it and the savings they make are fantastic.

Saying that, they have sun for around 50 weeks of the year so it's well worth laying the money out.

Whereas here in England where we get around two weeks of sunshine we'd be up the creek without hot water. :wah:
Can energy be generated from fog? :D:D

Return to “Science”