Tesla

koan

Tesla

Post by koan »

I have been curious about Nikola Tesla for some time now. I've read all the basics and am working my way through a larger more comprehensive book on his life's work.

The inventor of AC and a number of other things some of which credit was wrongfully given to others (namely Edison) This man found a way to bring electricity free to every home so they cut his funding. What a loss to society. Constantly curbed by "the free world (enterprise that is)

Does anyone else have information on this incredible inventor?
kensloft

Tesla

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I have been curious about Nikola Tesla for some time now. I've read all the basics and am working my way through a larger more comprehensive book on his life's work.

The inventor of AC and a number of other things some of which credit was wrongfully given to others (namely Edison) This man found a way to bring electricity free to every home so they cut his funding. What a loss to society. Constantly curbed by "the free world (enterprise that is)

Does anyone else have information on this incredible inventor?
Here is a source of information in case anyone is not familiar with him.

http://www.neuronet.pitt.edu/~bogdan/tesla/

Enjoy
LottomagicZ4941

Tesla

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

A band named in his honnor has some good music.

Perhpas they were trying to get the teacher's endorcement.

Into the Now was their last one but I like Psycotic[SP?] Supper better.

It was cool that Into the Now made the top 40 recordings for a week which is better then the new Deep Purple did.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941A
koan

Tesla

Post by koan »

From another interesting site:http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=158

It’s almost a cliché. Working alone, an inventive genius pioneers new devices that ultimately change the world but his genius is barely recognised and he goes on to die in relative poverty; and whilst he dies, virtually alone and unrecognised, his inventions eventually transform life across the planet.

Unfortunately it’s pretty much the story of Nikola Tesla, the scientific visionary whose inventions shaped much of the 20th century, whilst the man himself has been all but forgotten. And it is no exaggeration to call Tesla a visionary. In contrast to many scientific pioneers, who have spent years developing their projects, Tesla’s ideas were often conceived and perfected in his mind’s eye in an instant. “Birth, growth and development are phases normal and natural,” said Tesla, but: “It was different with my invention(s). In the very moment I became conscious of it, I ‘saw’ it fully developed and perfected…”

In fact these extraordinary powers of memory and visualisation were to characterise much of his life and work. One day while walking with a friend in Budapest, Tesla was reciting lines from Goethe’s ‘Faust’ when the idea of a rotating magnetic field suddenly appeared before him, literally. In an instant Tesla knew how to produce the alternating current.

And the kind of stuff I'm looking for:

The weapon, said Tesla, would make war impossible by surrounding every country with an “invisible Chinese Wall.” It was, in effect, what we know today as a charged particle beam accelerator.

Once again though, Tesla was unable to unable to summon sufficient finance to back his proposal and as the prospect of war became more likely so Tesla became ever more desperate. In despair he finally sent detailed plans for his ‘peace weapon’ to the governments of the U.S., Britain, France, Canada, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union. But to Tesla’s dismay, none of the western governments took his proposal seriously, not at the time anyway. However in the aftermath of Tesla’s death in 1943, it became apparent that some of these governments had grown more than a little interested.

Tesla’s nephew, Sava Kosanovic went to his uncle’s rooms on the morning of his death. On arrival, according to Kosanovic, the rooms looked as if they had been searched; notebooks and crucial technical papers were missing, and two days later the Office of Alien Property seized all of Tesla’s remaining belongings.

Ah hah!!
anastrophe

Tesla

Post by anastrophe »

i've been fascinated by tesla for a long time myself. he was an extraordinary, amazing, puzzling man, and clearly about 100 years ahead of his time.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
koan

Tesla

Post by koan »

anastrophe wrote: i've been fascinated by tesla for a long time myself. he was an extraordinary, amazing, puzzling man, and clearly about 100 years ahead of his time.

What I find fascinating is that so few people know who he is. Even electricians!

I keep hoping that some diaries will turn up from his last years that outline all the inventions that he came up with that he knew wouldn't get funded.
kensloft

Tesla

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: What I find fascinating is that so few people know who he is. Even electricians!

I keep hoping that some diaries will turn up from his last years that outline all the inventions that he came up with that he knew wouldn't get funded.
It was the times that did him in. The exploiters would fund and then remove the inventions from the inventor. One of the most famous inventors of the day was a man named Fessenden.

He invented the radio that we hear and listen to today. People mistakenly attribute this to Marconi but all he did was enable the morse code to be broadcast and received. There's probably a long list of peole that were legally taken for their inventive genius. Tesla and Fessenden were contemporaries who were left broke by the establishment that they created with their genius. :-1
koan

Tesla

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote: It was the times that did him in. The exploiters would fund and then remove the inventions from the inventor. One of the most famous inventors of the day was a man named Fessenden.

He invented the radio that we hear and listen to today. People mistakenly attribute this to Marconi but all he did was enable the morse code to be broadcast and received. There's probably a long list of peole that were legally taken for their inventive genius. Tesla and Fessenden were contemporaries who were left broke by the establishment that they created with their genius. :-1

This is great! Maybe this thread could be our tribute to the great minds that died in shadow and throw some light back on them again. Do we know any other inventors hard done by?

Return to “Science”