Jesus for sale??

Clint

Jesus for sale??

Post by Clint »

Should publishers copyright the Bible? I thought it was God’s word. If it is, how can they claim it is theirs to profit from? Have you seen the price of a new Bible lately? Somebody is getting rich. This whole “Christian” marketing thing has got me concerned. For a while there, I think you could probably have found WWJD brass knuckles. I ask you... what would Jesus do? Would He approve?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
telaquapacky

Jesus for sale??

Post by telaquapacky »

Clint wrote: Should publishers copyright the Bible? I thought it was God’s word. If it is, how can they claim it is theirs to profit from?

I heard a very interesting statement- Every Bible translation is really a commentary. Each is somewhat biased by the theological background of the translators. KJV is supposed to be the most accurate but even KJV isn't perfect. That's why I have an Interlinear Hebrew-Greek-English version, do Hebrew and Greek word studies with Quick Verse, and compare various translations carefully.

Ironically, the Bible I read the most is one I regard as one of the least accurate- the NIV. I use it because the English is easy to understand. Zondervan went to a lot of trouble and expense to provide that translation to us, and I wouldn't muzzle the ox. It may not be fair to copyright the original texts, but I don't have anything against copywriting a commentary. I'm just glad that we can go to the store and buy a Bible- any Bible. There were times and places in history where it was forbidden.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Clint

Jesus for sale??

Post by Clint »

Excellent point regarding the Bible. What about the rest of the stuff?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
gmc

Jesus for sale??

Post by gmc »

The Bible as we know it did not fall out of heaven in its current format. As far as I'm concerned, any Bible--whether it's called a translation or version--is an original work. Here's why:

-The "Bible" as we know it was created centuries ago when the Church leaders met and reviewed hundreds of "holy books" and selected which books to include in a collection of books to be later known as the Bible. Whether or not the selection of the few books that made it in vs. the many that were rejected was done at God's specific direction is of course open for debate. (One theory is that all books that placed women in a teaching or glorified role were rejected since that didn't gel with the views of women at the time.) Some "bibles" even today contain different books than others.

-Even with translations, the writers have the option of selecting various words to translate a given word. In the new language, words may have a fundamentally same meaning but have a slightly different meaning. The translator selects the word based upon his/her command of the language and his/her beliefs about what the original writer meant by that word. Thus with a translation, you are getting an opinion rather than a 100% accurate rendition of what the original writer meant, centuries ago.

-Versions have things added, again with the writer's slant on things. For example, Catholic versions say, "Peace on earth to men of good will." Protestant versions say, "Peace on earth, good will to men." The theory is the Protestant version is reinforcing the once saved, always saved belief.

Subtle differences are always present, thus I believe all Bibles are original works that quote ancient texts. Thus, although it's already protected by legal copyright by virtue of it being an original work, the writer's enforcing that copyright is not something I have a problem with.

Just out of curiosity what do you say or think of those who believe in the literal word of the bible as being the unchanged word of god. A belief I personally find incredible.

I usually end up agreeing to disagree with such believers, I have no problem if they do but I do with those who would impose their world view and morality on others, by force if necesary.
Clint

Jesus for sale??

Post by Clint »

purple wrote: Thus with a translation, you are getting an opinion rather than a 100% accurate rendition of what the original writer meant, centuries ago.

-Versions have things added, again with the writer's slant on things. For example, Catholic versions say, "Peace on earth to men of good will." Protestant versions say, "Peace on earth, good will to men." The theory is the Protestant version is reinforcing the once saved, always saved belief.

Good point. There are originals that are accurate. What we read today are, indeed full of opinions. I use the NAS a lot because it is supposed to be one of the most literal translations of original transcripts. It is irksome to find opinions injected by those who were obviously interested in getting their opinion across.

I use several translations, expository dictionaries and a Strong’s Concordance to try to get to the real intent and meaning. It helps to have traveled to Israel and to study Hebrew culture. The Bibles we read are too often translated by people who would have us believe Jesus had blonde hair and blue eyes.

So, now that I’ve been reminded that we are really reading original writings (based on original transcripts), I guess their authors are entitled to whatever the market will bear. Jesus is a great marketing tool. Everyone should be getting rich from His sacrifice. Let the winner be the one who comes up with cross that has enough appeal to revolutionize the cross business.
telaquapacky

Jesus for sale??

Post by telaquapacky »

Clint wrote: Jesus is a great marketing tool. Everyone should be getting rich from His sacrifice. Let the winner be the one who comes up with cross that has enough appeal to revolutionize the cross business.2 Corinthians 8:9 (NIV)

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.Jesus has a far more classic and enduring designer name than Gucci, Calvin Klein, etc. (fill in the blanks, I don't want to reveal my ignorance :o ) If you visit Italy, for example, you'll see magnificent artwork made to glorify Him. We were at Pisa, and saw a marble piece there that took decades for skilled artisans to carve. Our tour guide said, "Artists today are lazy."

As for the designer items you see in Christian bookstores, from mugs and tee-shirts to music CD's and DVD's and videos, it's clearly a big business. That doesn't bother me. If you're into golf, you can get golf stuff; into fishing, fishing stuff; cars, car stuff, etc. And it doesn't bother me that somebody makes money off of that.

I would find it very uncomfortable if Christian trinkets were sold in God's house. A gift shop in a sanctuary would detract from the reverence. As I remember, Jesus wasn't happy about that kind of trade either.

The problem isn't buying and selling- it's only a problem if Christian designer items are used to cover up selfishness, greed and covetousness. It's okay if Christians flash trinkets related to the thing that interests us, As long as our faith is more than just a matter of externals for people to see. Luke 12:20,21 (NIV)

"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?' This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."
telaquapacky

Jesus for sale??

Post by telaquapacky »

gmc wrote: Just out of curiosity what do you say or think of those who believe in the literal word of the bible as being the unchanged word of god. A belief I personally find incredible. About the Bible being unchanged- no one disputes that there have been minor changes, but the Bible is the most authentic of all ancient writings- nothing else comes close. The sheer volume of extant manuscripts, the closeness of their dates of origin to the original writings, and the degree to which they correlate is such that you can be sufficiently sure that we're reading what Moses or Isaiah or Paul wrote.

Some people (I'm not saying you) are very dogmatic in their agnosticism, like "I have no way of knowing, so you don't either." In other words, "It doesn't make sense to me- therefore there's nothing to it." Isn't that a bit presumptuous?

Jesus believed that the Scriptures were the word of God. Paul called the Bereans noble for studying the Scriptures for themselves to test his teachings. Seems weird to me that one would think that the all-powerful Creator who wants a relationship with us is yet so impotent that He would watch helplessly as His written document to his loved ones is corrupted to the point that we cannot know Him, like a cake left out in the rain. Where do people get their information about God anyway? Unfortunately, most rely on their own opinions (or buy uncritically the opinions of others without prayerfully checking them out). My point is that if there were no trustworthy, documented revelation, then people have no other source but their own opinions. Then God would be irresponsible in asking us to know and worship Him without giving us something authentic to base it on. The Bible may not be perfect, but it's the best thing we've got, and unless God is a real flaky guy, we can trust the Scriptures to a significant degree of detail.

I believe that the Bible should be taken seriously, but it's silly to take every word literally, because that would make the Bible contradict itself. Those who take the Bible seriously come in many colors- each has their own concept of God which determines what to take literally and what not to. Before we open the Bible, we need to ask the Holy Spirit to guide our understanding- and recognize that if we don't obey what the Spirit reveals to us, He isn't going to waste His time revealing any more. Before we accept anyone else's interpretation, we should ask, "What does that say about God?"

gmc wrote: I usually end up agreeing to disagree with such believers, I have no problem if they do but I do with those who would impose their world view and morality on others, by force if necesary.Amen! Read Revelation chapter 14. The essence of the mark of the beast is forcing people to worship a certain way. I'll give you an example of something some believers take literally that I take figuratively: eternal hell. Most believers say God roasts lost sinners in torment in fire forever. Oh, that's nice. Our loving Father whom Jesus says He is one with operates a torture chamber in the basement. You have a significant proportion of the world's population who worship a god worse than Hitler. That's why they feel they have to take over the government to force their ideas on others, to "save them from hell." Ironically, that is why there are so many unbelievers. Can you blame people for rejecting such a reprehensible concept of God?
Ted

Jesus for sale??

Post by Ted »

An extremely interesting discussion. As has already been said I have no problem with the cost of a Bible. There is a great deal of work in putting it together.

My persoal choice is the NRSV because it is recommended by many Biblical scholars. Though I do have others as well. I have been formally trained in translation and interpretation of both the Greek and the Hebrew scriptures. That being said there are many who know much more then I.

I will give a general view of what scholarship is saying today concerning the Bible.

It is made up of myth, legend, folk tale, poetry, short story, fiction and some history. There are kernels of history throughout the Bible. It was never written to be taken literally or as an book of history. It was and is primarily a religious book.

The style of writing is most important. Without and understanding of that it is difficult to get to the real and powerful truths that are contained within. The Bible is primarily Midrash and contains a great deal of metaphor. This was the ancient style of religious writing and when read from that point of view it becomes a much more powerful book than and literal reading can ever give it.

The Pentateuch, originally attributed to Moses was in fact passed on orally for centuries until it was put together during the Babylonian exile. Much of the myth and allegory used therein was borrowed from other tribes such as the Babylonians and the Mesopotamians. It has of course been edited during the centuries by the redactors. None of this denigrates the value of the book.

It becomes for Christians the word of God because God does indeed speak to us through the Bible. It becomes sacred not by any internal power but by the use to which we put it.

Generally it is a very human book written by folks inspired to record their experiences of the Divine. It was not dictated by God.

There are internal and external discrepencies in the Bible. As an historic book it does not stand up to the archaeological record though there is history there. Once one understands Midrash then this makes little difference to the Bible as "The Word of God".

I could write more but that should suffice.

Shalom

Ted :-6
Clint

Jesus for sale??

Post by Clint »

purple wrote: Clint, I thought in your OP you were referring to selling Bibles, not unbridled marketing of all things Jesus.

However, I do not have a problem with people selling Bibles that they created using quotes or significant portions of ancient texts. There is a cost and time associated with producing such items. People deserve the opportunity to make an honest living, and I'd classify publishing bibles as an honest living. There are lots of people in helping professions--doctors, social workers, counselors, etc.--that do their jobs for the greater good but still make a living doing it.

There are plenty of ways people can read bibles at low or no cost, so if they cannot or are unwilling to pay for a bible, couldn't they seek out those low/no cost avenues?
My original post was actually the result of a struggle I’ve had for many years. I really haven’t known were a proper line should be drawn. I appreciate your response along with the others. I think I’m a little closer to understanding and I’ve changed my opinion some.

I’m very thankful for the various translations of the Bible that are available to me. I think by reading more than one I’m able to get closer to the intended meaning. Those who translate, write and publish are entitled to labor without a muzzle.

As for the Christian merchandise, I suppose the ones that have to answer for that are the ones who purchase it, thinking it replaces the real thing. Some of the stuff is actually useful and give the buyer the option to purchase something that reflects who they are. There is still a lot of junk being peddled by those who prey on the weak in the name of God. They are the same ones Jesus dealt with so zealously 2000 years ago.
capt_buzzard

Jesus for sale??

Post by capt_buzzard »

Religion is only ever about Business. And Big Bucks.
Clint

Jesus for sale??

Post by Clint »

capt_buzzard wrote: Religion is only ever about Business. And Big Bucks.
Religion sure runs a high risk of being all about business. Relationship, however, doesn’t. That’s why Nakdimon (Nicodemus) went to Yeshua, knowing He came from God but not understanding who He was.
koan

Jesus for sale??

Post by koan »

I draw a definite line between being religious and belonging to a religion. I have found most organized religion to be corrupted by power. It is inherent in a system that establishes leaders.

There is something to be learned from everyone. I truly believe that. My sad view of churches and organizations is that they become a vehicle for self glorification on the part of the founders and, with the Catholic church in particular, a political engine for keeping the masses in fear. They need us to need them.

Creating a bible, a translation of a bible or any other spiritual communication is an expensive endeavour that cannot be accomplished without some payment...copyright, though? Think of how many people quote the bible!!!! This website, alone, would owe a fortune if they decide to collect. Since the bible is beyond the statute for copyright and to distinguish one work between another for copyright purposes a large percentage (like 50%) of the story has to have been altered...I would think no translation should qualify or else ***You've All Been Duped***. Without changing the appropriate percentage of content, the copyright belongs to the original author and can be freely quoted if the original work is more than 100 yrs old.

Perhaps the purpose of copyrighting a translation is so that no other scholar can write out the specific translation and claim it as their own, as in, this version is already taken, bro! I would think translation theft is not a common activity among the God fearing folk.
greydeadhead

Jesus for sale??

Post by greydeadhead »

And .. besides selling the bible and other religious symbols.. what about the actual selling of religion on television.. I mean televangalism is big big business.. often times taking financial advantage of those that can least afford it..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
koan

Jesus for sale??

Post by koan »

greydeadhead wrote: And .. besides selling the bible and other religious symbols.. what about the actual selling of religion on television.. I mean televangalism is big big business.. often times taking financial advantage of those that can least afford it..

I worked in the film & television industry for ten years and fought to maintain my spirit during every moment.

Televangalism is no different than any other television program...they will do anything to sell!!! Even behind a well meaning show, like Touched By An Angel, are money hungry producers. I've worked with an actress from the show who is a beautiful and spiritual person yet had certain dictates in her contract to make sure she acted angelic or they would sue her, fire her or otherwise protect their investment.

The word of God shouldn't need a bunch of showpeople to pump it.

How degrading.

Sadly, they play to people who believe all they read in 'The Weekly World News'. Big generalization there...but I did work in the industry for a while.

Who are these people who can save us if we give them money?

:guitarist I'll play you a song if you all keep your money in your pockets.
Clint

Jesus for sale??

Post by Clint »

koan wrote: I worked in the film & television industry for ten years and fought to maintain my spirit during every moment.

Televangalism is no different than any other television program...they will do anything to sell!!! Even behind a well meaning show, like Touched By An Angel, are money hungry producers. I've worked with an actress from the show who is a beautiful and spiritual person yet had certain dictates in her contract to make sure she acted angelic or they would sue her, fire her or otherwise protect their investment.

The word of God shouldn't need a bunch of showpeople to pump it.

How degrading.

Sadly, they play to people who believe all they read in 'The Weekly World News'. Big generalization there...but I did work in the industry for a while.

Who are these people who can save us if we give them money?

:guitarist I'll play you a song if you all keep your money in your pockets.
I got a letter from one of the most prominent “Christian” TV networks asking me for money. I sent a note back telling them to sell some their jewelry and the expensive furnishings on their set if they needed money. I didn’t get a response.
Ted

Jesus for sale??

Post by Ted »

Clint :-6

You didn't expect to did you. LOL

I have little use for the Televangelists. This is not to say that some are not honest but I do have plenty of questions.

Shalom

Ted :-6

Return to “General Religious Discussions”