The Bible shifted some Gears in my mind.

Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1492914 wrote: When a person does not believe in the existence of a God, what is the point of their being blessed by something that doesn't exist? To say otherwise is patronising to anyone who doesn't believe.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants to believe, that's fine by me to let them live in their own little fantasy world, but to try to impose it on me & state that I am the one that's wrong, and that their fantasy figure will bless me for not believing in it, quite frankly, I find offensive.

In Isaiah 45:23 God will impose himself on the whole world ; and the world will find that offensive I am sure; but its absolutely nothing any of them will be able to do about it.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1492927 wrote: Yes, it could also mean humility of spirit; I favor the weak in spirit over that. Weak in spirit, in biblical terms, means unbelief.

Once again an interpretation, stating what "the Biblical meaning is". My personal interpretation would be 'depressed'. That has nothing whatsoever to do with belief or disbelief.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Bible was not meant to be read literally. According to scholars including Jewish scholars the Bible was meant to be read in the light of the times, knowledge base etc. The Bible itself is an interpretation just as much of it was an interpretation of things they experienced. It is not really a translation because that is no really possible from ancient Hebrew or Koine (New Testament) Greek. There is no translation possible. What is done is an interpretation or the ancient words. The interpretation needs to be redone as more knowledge becomes available. Examples "Gentle Jesus meek and mild" is not a correct interpretation. "meek=weakness. The "I am" from the OT is very questionable. Scholars do not think it should be translated that way but it has to be reconsidered. There is some history in the Bible but much of it is Midrash.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Atheism is Midrash.

Now does my opinion make this so?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1493379 wrote: Atheism is Midrash.

Now does my opinion make this so?
Is that the best reply you can come up with. It's more like "Yo' Mamma's fat" ... "No, Yo' Mamma's fat". etc.

The Bible is a collection of fables. Those fables are midrash. Atheism has no fables. The whole point of Atheism is that lack of fables. How, therefore, can the lack of something be said to be made of something that it lacks. It's like saying that a vacuum is made of solid matter.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Atheism is Midrash; its based on myths and fables, and cannot exist without the use of them.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

What fables? What myths?
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493387 wrote: What fables? What myths?

All the ones that you use to trash God and religion; all the biblical things that you call fables and myths, you need them for Atheism to exist.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1493391 wrote: All the ones that you use to trash God and religion; all the biblical things that you call fables and myths, you need them for Atheism to exist.
The Biblical Fables & Myths is what we DON'T need. To claim that the Biblical Fables & Myths are required in order to be a disbeliever in Fables & Myths seems somewhat contradictory. Besides, the Atheist knows the Fables & Myths to exist. The difference is that he recognises them to be merely Fables & Myths. He does not require them in order to exist. The Pope exists. The Pope is supposed to be the representative of God. I do not recognise the existence of a God. God is a Fable / Myth. Therefore I do not recognise anyone as being a representative of that Fable / Myth. I do recognise that the Pope exists, though. He is put into that position by believers of the Fables & Myths. So does that mean that I need the Pope?

I also don't really believe in Fluffy Pink Flying Elephants, so do I really need them in order not to believe in them? For that is the logic you are using.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493410 wrote: The Biblical Fables & Myths is what we DON'T need. To claim that the Biblical Fables & Myths are required in order to be a disbeliever in Fables & Myths seems somewhat contradictory. Besides, the Atheist knows the Fables & Myths to exist. The difference is that he recognises them to be merely Fables & Myths. He does not require them in order to exist. The Pope exists. The Pope is supposed to be the representative of God. I do not recognise the existence of a God. God is a Fable / Myth. Therefore I do not recognise anyone as being a representative of that Fable / Myth. I do recognise that the Pope exists, though. He is put into that position by believers of the Fables & Myths. So does that mean that I need the Pope?

I also don't really believe in Fluffy Pink Flying Elephants, so do I really need them in order not to believe in them? For that is the logic you are using.

In our discussions, I never bring up fables and myths; you always do. You are the one who keeps mentioning flying pink elephants, not me: I don't need them. You need them in your conversations, that is WHY you keep using them.

They are an integral part of your conscious thought.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

9:56, " For the Son of man did not come to destroy men's live's, but to save them."

I like that.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1493583 wrote: 9:56, " For the Son of man did not come to destroy men's live's, but to save them."

I like that.

This should read " Luke 9:56."
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1493583 wrote: 9:56, " For the Son of man did not come to destroy men's live's, but to save them."

I like that.

This should read " Luke 9:56."
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

The origin of the bible is tied to the origins of man and the universe. It tells us how everything got here. And it reveals the ultimate future of all humanity.

In Hebrews 9:26, " For then he often have suffered " Since the foundation of the world", but now once in the end of the world has he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Since before everything was created, everything was already decided; its really a done deal of the century. We all get forgiven for all things, and we all get to live with our creator. But we get to experience human life in the flesh first, so we will know what that is like; how weak it can be. How confusing it can be.

But we had Jesus die for us once, now here he is returning at " The End" to put sin away again, which is significant. So the bible really is beginning and end of story.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

This here is really the story of mankind; 1 John 4:14," And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the " Savior of the World!" A human world in chaos was created , and out from the chaos will be all of our salvation and real purpose for living. Its WHY we are here; its WHY the world came to be; its WHAT will eventually happen to the world; it will be " Saved, redone and preserved forever!"

That's what " Saved" means; preserved ; kept.

God made us to keep us! He gave life, so that it can always be lived.

Religion has got it all wrong; the whole world gets saved! The people are the world!
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Interesting bible facts;

Bible Facts: 31 Facts about The Bible ←FACTSlides→
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

The bible still is a stunning book in my view; it opens my mind to how to view things, and it scares me how it can often give me a deadly diagnosis. A heart rendering truth. A truth that knocks me off my feet at times and makes me cry and plead things to God, to help us all!
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1508850 wrote: The bible still is a stunning book in my view; it opens my mind to how to view things, and it scares me how it can often give me a deadly diagnosis. A heart rendering truth. A truth that knocks me off my feet at times and makes me cry and plead things to God, to help us all!

A truth that travels at its own pace, and visits whom it wills; a message that runs outside of the intelligence of humanity.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Bible is indeed an important book in the history of the world and so too the Quar'an and other sacred writings. They all contain wisdom in one form or another. Considering the Bible is some 2000 years old it must be read in such away as to determin what it meant then and what it means for us today. It has to be read through Jewish eys in a manner of speaking. Literal ism is indeed a "gentile heresy". Bishop John Spong.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1509731 wrote: The Bible is indeed an important book in the history of the world and so too the Quar'an and other sacred writings. They all contain wisdom in one form or another. Considering the Bible is some 2000 years old it must be read in such away as to determin what it meant then and what it means for us today. It has to be read through Jewish eys in a manner of speaking. Literal ism is indeed a "gentile heresy". Bishop John Spong.

I believe the bible can be read through anybody's eyes. Their cultures do not matter.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The idea of religion in any place is in part cultural.. It is avery human book. To say it is the best selling book says nothing about its readership. It is a very Jewish book and needs to be interpreted as such or we put things in there the authors never intended.. Another interesting point is if Jesus was God why was he praying to himself as in Gestheane or on the cross. Paul would probably be horrified to think foks thought he was writing scripture.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

The bible is the most stunning significant book that i have ever read, speaking for myself.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Bibl,e as a book is something I've spent years studying both formally and in my own readings.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1509810 wrote: The Bibl,e as a book is something I've spent years studying both formally and in my own readings.

Yes, so have I.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Bible is central to Christianity but so is tradition and reason. Sola Scriptura leads to all kinds of absurdities.
Ted

Post by Ted »

It is not the Bible that shifted gears but our brains as we come to understand how it was written and what it is really saying. It is about "The Way".
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1512092 wrote: It is not the Bible that shifted gears but our brains as we come to understand how it was written and what it is really saying. It is about "The Way".

I agree with the part about our brains.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Bible is a collection of ancient documents written by a wide variety of people. And all from the Middle East.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1512105 wrote: The Bible is a collection of ancient documents written by a wide variety of people. And all from the Middle East.

The bible is many things to all people; here's an article you may find interesting;

https://www.gci.org/bible/white
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Bible is for Christians of any color a sacred book. It is sacred because our ancestors declared it sacred. Members of other faiths also recognize the Bible as a sacred document.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1512159 wrote: The Bible is for Christians of any color a sacred book. It is sacred because our ancestors declared it sacred. Members of other faiths also recognize the Bible as a sacred document.

The bible is for everyone, in my view.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”