Hello everybody!!

New member introductions. Tell us a little about yourself. Then, click on "Blogs" above and start your own personal blog!
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Hey everyone... I'm here to discuss some interesting stuff! I like forums because you can find answers to questions from actual people and you can provide answers and personal experiences as well. :o
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
LarsMac

Hello everybody!!

Post by LarsMac »

Welcome to FG. We don't get many people from New Mexico around here.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1453186 wrote: Welcome to FG. We don't get many people from New Mexico around here.

Saint_ counts for naught? Hi, HippieMan, so glad you spelt it correctly! Hate it when folks spell it 'hippy'. I'm very particular about it, just one of my loveable quirks. :-)
LarsMac

Hello everybody!!

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1453187 wrote: Saint_ counts for naught? Hi, HippieMan, so glad you spelt it correctly! Hate it when folks spell it 'hippy'. I'm very particular about it, just one of my loveable quirks. :-)

Saint_ Counts a LOT. He's a math teacher, after all.

But one is hardly "many".

We have now doubled our New Mexico contingent, it seems.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1453189 wrote: Saint_ Counts a LOT. He's a math teacher, after all.

But one is hardly "many".

:yh_rotfl. Good one Lars!
fuzzywuzzy

Hello everybody!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Welcome Hippie man.

Are you actually a hippie? I thought they disappeared into the business/IT community and now own mansions in Florida?
Oscar Namechange

Hello everybody!!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Welcome Hippieman from England.

If that Is you In your avatar then ' well hellllloooo big boy, ding dong '

You sound already like a fun guy to have around. Make sure you dive In and annoy us Brits because we like that.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Hey thanks guys for rolling out the welcome matt.... LARS New Mexico is a cool place, have you ever been here?? AnneBoleyn yes I am really into the i-e spelling as opposed to the y. The y just does not look right. What do you think of Trippy. A y in that word looks good. Fuzzywuzzy I think you may be referring to yippies? I believe there are many different types and levels of hippieness. I was born in 1986 so I am not a classic 60's hippie but I hold some similar viewpoints and my parents were from that era so I think it carries over. Also my avatar pic is the character ZED from the movie ZARDOZ, so I think gives me some credibility. Oscar Mate you Brits are an interesting bunch.. but no that is not me in the avatar pic.. sorry to disappoint you.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
Oscar Namechange

Hello everybody!!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

HippieMan86;1453217 wrote: Hey thanks guys for rolling out the welcome matt.... LARS New Mexico is a cool place, have you ever been here?? AnneBoleyn yes I am really into the i-e spelling as opposed to the y. The y just does not look right. What do you think of Trippy. A y in that word looks good. Fuzzywuzzy I think you may be referring to yippies? I believe there are many different types and levels of hippieness. I was born in 1986 so I am not a classic 60's hippie but I hold some similar viewpoints and my parents were from that era so I think it carries over. Also my avatar pic is the character ZED from the movie ZARDOZ, so I think gives me some credibility. Oscar Mate you Brits are an interesting bunch.. but no that is not me in the avatar pic.. sorry to disappoint you.

More welcomes will come In for you only It's the early hours of the morning here for Brits.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fuzzywuzzy

Hello everybody!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Also my avatar pic is the character ZED from the movie ZARDOZ, so I think gives me some credibility.

mate. with all due respect, that pic wouldn't give anyone credibility. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yippie was for a politically active hippie. At first, the strict anti-war folks were kind of at odds with the hippies, so my beloved Abbie Hoffman came along and fused them both in a happy union.
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Interesting.. I did not know that about the word Yippie.. I had always thought it was coined later to describe yuppy hippies.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

HippieMan86;1453251 wrote: Interesting.. I did not know that about the word Yippie.. I had always thought it was coined later to describe yuppy hippies.

A yuppie is the exact opposite of hippie!!!!!!!!!! Yuppies felt money was the main goal on earth, & all this "peace & love" crap was crap. Me Me Me Me was their motto. Me, it's all about me, what me needs, what me wants, if me has to step on or over someone to get it, that's life. Eat or be eaten.
LarsMac

Hello everybody!!

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1453258 wrote: A yuppie is the exact opposite of hippie!!!!!!!!!! Yuppies felt money was the main goal on earth, & all this "peace & love" crap was crap. Me Me Me Me was their motto. Me, it's all about me, what me needs, what me wants, if me has to step on or over someone to get it, that's life. Eat or be eaten.

Gee, I never realized yuppies actually had such deep thoughts.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1453260 wrote: Gee, I never realized yuppies actually had such deep thoughts.

They weren't stupid. They were the next crop of college "kids", highly educated with opinions contradicting those who came before. If we weren't so close in age, it would be a generational difference. These were highly paid young professionals (YUPpie means Young Urban Professional) who were getting large paychecks. The economy was already beginning to tighten up when they came along. Can't rent a plush apartment on peace & love.
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Wow, you know a lot about these words.. I think I saw something somewhere about the Y-I-P in yippie. Do you know what that stands for? I have also heard the term yippie referring to yuppies that are (pseudo) hippies. There are a couple different types, in my opinion. There are the yuppies (wealthy people) that try to adopt a hippie mentality and the result is.. kind of repulsive. They drive BMWs, shop at Whole Foods and take expensive yoga classes and have all the best yoga accessories. There is nothing wrong with shopping at whole foods, taking expensive yoga classes or driving a BMW but when coupled with a more enlightened than thou mentality while being a strong participant (as most of us are) in capitalism.. it just doesn't sit right with me. I also wonder if these same people would give any money or food to the homeless guy standing outside the whole foods. I don't like broad generalizations of people but I have spent a lot of time in Santa Fe, NM and there is a lot of people that fit into this group. The other type of yuppy/hippie that I have noticed lean more towards a true hippie but with a yuppy mentality. They are all about sharing but only when it benefits them and they have nothing to offer. When they have something they could offer to the group or someone in need they have 101 justifications as to why they can't contribute. They also have a more enlightened than tho mentality and definitely have the ME, ME, ME thing going on. They tend to guilt trip people into buying or giving them things because people should share but you see the same person a week later and you need a jumpstart or a hand moving a couch and they won''t help you... unless they think they can get more stuff out of you. To me these guys are worse than the first group I talked about because they give real hippies a bad name. I think the real difference between these two groups is the amount of money they have.. other than that I think they are pretty much interchangeable.

To me a true hippie is a down to earth person that is open minded. Someone that would give you the shirt off their back and feed you. They are socially and politically aware and are just generally happy and fun people to be around. They don't agree with everything that goes on in society but have decided to do something about it in a positive manner, so that they can live a life that they feel more comfortable about. There's a difference between that and not agreeing with society but leeching off of the same thing you don't agree with. That doesn't make any sense to me...
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YIP is what it is, meaning Abbie Hoffman's sheer delight in acting crazy. You know "Yippie!"
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yuppies aren't pseudo hippies. Yuppies had total disdain for the goals of the hippies. No "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" for these folks. They wanted to own society, not leave it. They wanted power, the money sort.
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The hippie life style was co-opted into life. In a big sense, they (the hippies) Won, but in another sense, they Lost. It was, however, the tightening of the economy that blasted staying hippie into mostly being homeless. Prices soared, you could no longer live off the land because you could no longer afford to without regular jobs. Everyone today having to work in order to stay in the same place, the Rat Race, is a loss of personal freedom, of Time. Personal Time is a precious commodity that is now only afforded to a few. You know, when you have Time you don't have Money, when you have Money you don't have Time. The economy was such back in the sixties that you could have BOTH.

By the powers that be, my mind is set that it was arranged that way. People with free time & enough money are dangerous for some people to acquire more for themselves. I could write a book on this, but I probably won't!!
tude dog

Hello everybody!!

Post by tude dog »

Hippys, yippies.

It is a wonder we ever survived such foolishness. I suppose enough actually grew up.

Oh wait, never mind.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
along-for-the-ride

Hello everybody!!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hello Hippieman! Enjoy your visits with us.

Here's a welcome mat for you.............. :)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

AnneBoleyn;1453269 wrote: The hippie life style was co-opted into life. In a big sense, they (the hippies) Won, but in another sense, they Lost. It was, however, the tightening of the economy that blasted staying hippie into mostly being homeless. Prices soared, you could no longer live off the land because you could no longer afford to without regular jobs. Everyone today having to work in order to stay in the same place, the Rat Race, is a loss of personal freedom, of Time. Personal Time is a precious commodity that is now only afforded to a few. You know, when you have Time you don't have Money, when you have Money you don't have Time. The economy was such back in the sixties that you could have BOTH.

By the powers that be, my mind is set that it was arranged that way. People with free time & enough money are dangerous for some people to acquire more for themselves. I could write a book on this, but I probably won't!!

Anne I think it would make a great book!!! You should write it. Make it into an Ebook, promote it through Amazon and also on a website of your own. Then maybe a conventional publisher would want to pick it up!! I would buy a copy. It is definitely interesting material and I do think there were some strange things going on regarding influencing/steering the direction of the counter culture movement. Cultural movements are very interesting.

I know what you mean about the yuppies. They are still there, believe me. Yuppies usually breed yuppies but I still contend that there are a group of yuppies that want to act like hippies. That is why it is so ridiculous because it is oxymoronic.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1453278 wrote:

It is a wonder we ever survived such foolishness. I suppose enough actually grew up.

Some of us didn't survive the 'foolishness.' There were plenty of casualties, especially 58,000+ American soldiers, and over 3 million Vietnamese.

As for growing up, Time has a way of taking care of that. Tempus Fugit whether you're having fun or not.
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thank you for your confidence Hippie dude.
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

along-for-the-ride;1453286 wrote: Hello Hippieman! Enjoy your visits with us.

Here's a welcome mat for you.............. :)

Thanks along for the ride... I'm enjoying the forums so far!
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Yes that is horrible... I believe we are still feeling the effects of the Vietnam war. All the children that grew up without a father because of that war, most of them grew up in poor communities. So growing up without a father in a poor community is not an ideal situation. Also all of the soldiers that came back and were addicted or became addicted to drugs... that was also a huge loss. It effected so many families. Also agent orange is still affecting people.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

You're going to find knowing Tude Dog as, errr, an 'interesting' experience! Right, Tude?
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Well, I thought I was the weird one! Hello Tude Dog! Is it Dog or Dawg?
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
Lady J

Hello everybody!!

Post by Lady J »

Welcome HippieMan! You seem to be having a good time :wah:

Enjoy the garden ~~

Lady J
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Lady J;1453319 wrote: Welcome HippieMan! You seem to be having a good time :wah:

Enjoy the garden ~~

Lady J

Thanks Lady J.. Yeah this is one of the better forums I have ever used.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
BorisSanovabitz

Hello everybody!!

Post by BorisSanovabitz »

Hello welcome mate :)
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

BorisSanovabitz;1453507 wrote: Hello welcome mate :)

Thanks Boris! It seems like a lot of the members on here are British or Australian.. Which are you?? I'm interested in both but particularly Australia seems like a cool place.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
fuzzywuzzy

Hello everybody!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ahh that made me crack up ...bor is san ov a bitz

How do you welcome someone to a place that you've just arrived at?
AnneBoleyn

Hello everybody!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

fuzzywuzzy;1453569 wrote: ahh that made me crack up ...bor is san ov a bitz

How do you welcome someone to a place that you've just arrived at?

Once again, 2 Great Minds think alike! Even ours!
Saint_

Hello everybody!!

Post by Saint_ »

LarsMac;1453189 wrote:

Aha! New Mexico's ultra-slow-motion strategy to control the internet crawls along! Only another three hundred years until we dominate all!

:sneaky:
fuzzywuzzy

Hello everybody!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

AnneBoleyn;1453579 wrote: Once again, 2 Great Minds think alike! Even ours!

That's not good ................... well at least not for you . :yh_rotfl

I'm more impressed I can translate eastern European accents. lol
Bruv

Hello everybody!!

Post by Bruv »

I should have seen this thread earlier, before I teased you about your avatar.................but anyway welcome.

Hippiedom is a state of mind not social grouping.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Saint_;1453621 wrote: Aha! New Mexico's ultra-slow-motion strategy to control the internet crawls along! Only another three hundred years until we dominate all!

:sneaky:

Saint, YES WE WILL! WE WILL DOMINATE!
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
HippieMan86

Hello everybody!!

Post by HippieMan86 »

Bruv;1453708 wrote: I should have seen this thread earlier, before I teased you about your avatar.................but anyway welcome.

Hippiedom is a state of mind not social grouping.

Bruv I like that... yeah my Avatar seems to call a lot of attention to itself.
-THINK GOOD THOUGHTS!!
fuzzywuzzy

Hello everybody!!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

attention to detail ...I watched 15 minutes of the movie. I'm now convinced you're an advertisement for hard drugs .

Return to “Introductions”