Husband Jailed For Letting Wife Starve

AA grumpy

Post by AA grumpy »

hello the rains stopped (at last) its a nice night and here we are at the keyboard again for another dose of grumpy medicine.

A 71-year-old man has been jailed for leaving his mentally ill wife to starve to death in "squalid and degrading" conditions.

William Pottinger of Reading, Berkshire, was sentenced to 18 months in prison after he pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Gillian Pottinger, 61.

Reading Crown Court heard how he returned home after a day out in June 2006 to find her dead.

Mrs Pottinger suffered from Senile Squalor Syndrome, a condition which meant she lost the ability to look after herself through mental illness.

She had begun to seriously deteriorate mentally in 2000 and when she died, she had not left the house for more than three years.

Mr Pottinger admitted he had allowed his wife to lie on a sofa and waste away in her own bodily excretions

Passing sentence, Judge Christopher Tyrer said: "(Mrs Pottinger's) suffering must have lasted months. Her death was in squalid and degrading circumstances and the distress she suffered in the months before her death does not bear thinking about.

"At any stage in the final months, you could have called for help, but you did not."

He added: "This is quite extraordinary in the 21st century as a set of circumstances."

Detective Superintendent George Turner, who investigated the case for Thames Valley Police, said: "The circumstances of Mrs Pottinger's death are both shocking and tragic in equal measure.

"Bill Pottinger's conviction and sentencing for manslaughter has ensured his part in Mrs Pottinger's death has finally been acknowledged."

Paying tribute to his grandmother, Bradley Lee said: "Lovely Gran. She would give you the last pound she had in her purse. Why was she taken away from us? Rest in peace Nan - all our thoughts are with you."

Grumps view

this to me is a very sad and upsetting story how can this monster do this to his own wife? and why didnt someone contact social services and prevent this tragedy.

as for Judge Christopher Tyrer to sentence him to a mere 18 months for manslaughter makes him as bad as the man he sentenced.

pottinger should be serving between 10 years and life and shouldnt see the outside world again.

he will have to live with what he has done for the remainder of his life whats actually left of it being 71 but does his age entitle him to any pity ?

not in my book my sympathy and heart goes out to the late gillian pottinger but at least she is in a better place away from her illness and monsters like bill pottinger.

AAG
venus

Post by venus »

This is quite a distressing story, it's amazing that in this day and age someone can be left to literally just rot away.

The husband is shameful, from what l can gather he used his wifes disability money to have a nice social life. yet allowed this poor lady to die in that manner. He must not have one ounce of decency or compassion in his body.

I say people like him do not deserve to live, if you can treat another human being in that manner then you have lost your humanity, therefore you have no human rights!:thinking:
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
abbey

Post by abbey »

AA grumpy;821057 wrote:

Paying tribute to his grandmother, Bradley Lee said: "Lovely Gran. She would give you the last pound she had in her purse. Why was she taken away from us? Rest in peace Nan - all our thoughts are with you."

AAG
It's a pity his thoughts were'nt with her when she was alive!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is very sad, I do not understand how he could just ignore his wife that way. And the sentence is not enough punishment, since he did it intentionally.:(
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

abbey;821108 wrote: It's a pity his thoughts were'nt with her when she was alive!

That's the same thought I had! What a frickin' hypocrite. If she had anything in her name I hope it goes to charity and not family.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Starve him to death would be fitting. :mad: Where the heck was the family?? I check on my mother who lives alone constantly. No one went to the house to see their Mother or Grandmother??
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

cars

Post by cars »

CARLA;821122 wrote: Starve him to death would be fitting. :mad: Where the heck was the family?? I check on my mother who lives alone constantly. No one went to the house to see there Mother or Grandmother??
Right on, what CARLA said!
Cars :)
AA grumpy

Post by AA grumpy »

fuzzy butt;821126 wrote: thinking the same thing . It's like that old bloke who lived with his friends a corpse for years. One visit from ANYBODY would have put that right .

71 eh? I'd like to know what his mental faculties are . We have some old blokes around here that if there wives were to die they would waste away to nothing . Some men do not have the capacity to care for others who are sick and the older they become the more frightened, incapacited and confused they become.

is this an excuse for his crime ?
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Shame that family desert people like that and then resurface to say how great they were, why not help keep them alive then? Show a bit of interest. So sad.
venus

Post by venus »

Has anyone else been witness to the awful circling of vultures!!

By vultures l eally mean the lovng caring family of some poor forgotten about family member who has a little in the way of finances or belongings... and isn' t it funny that the family suddenly remember where they live once they pass away.

And so begins the ritual of arguing and trying to get their slimy hands on anything that may be worth something..

I once had the disgust to see a family come into my place of employment, a residential care home. I was there for a good few months, one poor lady who had suffered at hte hands of her husband and then her family was in there. She was very sick and was in terrible physical shape,( she would be locked for hours in a coal bumker by her husband and later, sons)

Her loving family visited twice, once to get her to sign papers so that they could get their hands on her bank account etc, and the second.. a week after she died to pick up her belongings, they took only what was worth cash. the rest they dumped in a bin.

there are some sad sick people in this world and ;l fro one am very glad to have a heart still, even if that means it can be hurt!
AA grumpy

Post by AA grumpy »

venus;821133 wrote: Has anyone else been witness to the awful circling of vultures!!

By vultures l eally mean the lovng caring family of some poor forgotten about family member who has a little in the way of finances or belongings... and isn' t it funny that the family suddenly remember where they live once they pass away.

And so begins the ritual of arguing and trying to get their slimy hands on anything that may be worth something..

I once had the disgust to see a family come into my place of employment, a residential care home. I was there for a good few months, one poor lady who had suffered at hte hands of her husband and then her family was in there. She was very sick and was in terrible physical shape,( she would be locked for hours in a coal bumker by her husband and later, sons)

Her loving family visited twice, once to get her to sign papers so that they could get their hands on her bank account etc, and the second.. a week after she died to pick up her belongings, they took only what was worth cash. the rest they dumped in a bin.

there are some sad sick people in this world and ;l fro one am very glad to have a heart still, even if that means it can be hurt!

in one word shitbags
venus

Post by venus »

fuzzy butt;821145 wrote: VEnus I agree with you . I have an uncle and aunt (by marriage) that suddenly begin visiting our sick older relatives (some of which they've never met)

It's a joke when we hear they have visited mum and dad we all have a saying "why? how long they got left? " That's how disgustingly obvious it is .

YEP I HEAR YOU ON THAT

I have never been able to understand that kind of moeny grabbing behaviour.

I have my own philosophy, enjoy life , enjoy what you have now for you can't take it with you and family who love you would rather have the fun memories of the things and times you spent together. Than to sit in an office and argue with family over who got the tea set..

Why he got more money..etc

family heirlooms and keep sakes aside, have a damn good will that it clear cut and calls for no argument..
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Fuzzy, you would be surprised at who stops visiting people who are ill in this manner. Every friend and family member stopped visiting my husband, only people from my church come by regularly.(His sister has never seen him in all this time-not one trip to the hospital, not one trip here) :(

The medical system here wouldn't check up on him if I didn't take him in for regularly scheduled visits. They cease to exist among normal society, and it was the husband's responsibility to do what he could for his wife. It is not an easy thing, but that is the way life is. You must do it.

Return to “Crimes Trials”