Sue happy folks strike again..

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

A New Jersey couple, whose son was struck in the chest with a line drive, is planning to sue the maker of a metal baseball bat used in the game.

Two years ago, Steven Domalewski was pitching when the ball slammed into his chest and stopped his heart. He was resuscitated but now has brain damage and is severely disabled.

The family contends metal baseball bats are inherently unsafe for youth games because the ball comes off them much faster than from wooden bats. The lawsuit will also be filed against Little League Baseball and a sporting goods chain that sold the bat.

An attorney says Domalewski will need millions of dollars worth of medical care for the rest of his life.

The bat maker says while it sympathizes with Steven and his family, the bat is not to blame for the injury.

Seeing stuff like this frustrates me to no end. My son broke his arm a couple weeks ago, he fell off the trampoline, when the safety net ripped. I've had a half dozen folks ask me if we were going to sue the makers of the trampoline. When I say no, they ask why not, it's quick money. :-2 Has society become that greedy?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, society is that greedy. Countless people asked when my husband fainted from low blood sugar at a store, if I was going to sue the store. (they were neglicent in not calling me or informing me he was taken away by paramedics, and the hospital never called me either-I had to place calls when he didn't come home) But I thought, that sure is not the point of the matter, my husband was ill, not their fault. Yes, it will reach seven digits for his care the rest of his life.

It is sad this happened to a child, but the parents will just have to take the responsibility for his care.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

no, we're just ignoring Sheryl! :p :D
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I haven't abandoned the thread, I've just been busy. I'm getting a cannot find server message when trying to go to your link.

Little League does have insurance, but the kids sign medical release forms, when signing up. But I don't understand the suing of the baseball bat manufacturer. It was the person who swung the bat, who caused the ball to hit the kid, not the bat. So why not go after them??

It's tragic that this happened to the kid, don't get me wrong. I just think suing the bat manufacturer is a bit extreme.

my son
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Thanks for posting the article.

I don't know, I just think it's lawsuits like these that are eventually going to make youth leagues obsolete due to fear of lawsuits if an accident happens.

my son
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I've had my run in with an insurance company, I know how they work. But I still find it reaching that the family is going after Little League group, the store that sold the bat, and the bat maker.

I'm pretty sure when your child signs up to play Little League you sign a medical release. I know I signed one when I signed my son up for T-Ball this year.

my son
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

No, I don't care for universal health care. It looks nice on paper, but talk to a Canadian dr, or citizen and they'll tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be.

So I still ask why aren't they suing the parents of the kid who hit the ball. It was his fault.

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Sheryl;871261 wrote:

So I still ask why aren't they suing the parents of the kid who hit the ball. It was his fault.

Who do you think has more money, the parents or the bat manufacturer? It's always about the money.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

What the hell are you babbling on about now?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Not cynical so much as the truth. The parents have no money so it makes better sense to sue the bat maker.

No apology necessary. :)
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Yes Red your right it is about money.

No RJ, I don't think universal healthcare will cause lawsuits such as these to end. There's always going to be greedy people who are not happy with what they have.

my son
BTS

Post by BTS »

I thought this was interesting............

The kid was NOT even playing in a Little League sanctioned league...........

But because Little League approves the use of metal bats they get pulled in to the fray..........

HMMMM......what else could this lead to in the way of asinine lawsuits??

How bout this:

"man chokes on prime rib in local steak house....therefore....Outback steak house is sued because they approve of eating steaks"

Domalewski was playing in a Police Athletic League game, but Little League was sued because the group certifies that specific metal bats are approved for , and safe for , use in games involving children.

Little League reached an agreement with the major manufacturers of metal bats in the early 1990s to limit the performance of metal bats to that of the best wooden bats. On its Web site, the league said injuries to its pitchers fell from 145 a year before the accord was reached to the current level of about 20 to 30 annually.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."

Return to “Crimes Trials”