Good grief

gmc

Good grief

Post by gmc »

The State of Mississippi (Finally) Ratifies 13th Amendment Banning Slavery

Mississippi Finally Ratifies the Amendment to Ban Slavery — 148 Years Later | TIME.com

Better late than never I suppose.
Bryn Mawr

Good grief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1420641 wrote: Mississippi Finally Ratifies the Amendment to Ban Slavery — 148 Years Later | TIME.com

Better late than never I suppose.

This is the problem I keep on bumping into with the US. When do you cease having a collection of states and start to have a country?
Oscar Namechange

Good grief

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Actually, the UK has been buying and selling young black men from other continents legally for decades.... It's called Premier League Football.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Wandrin

Good grief

Post by Wandrin »

I wonder what other amendments they haven't gotten around to yet. Can women vote yet?

It is comforting to know that we have states willing to show us our history by continuing to live in previous centuries.
AnneBoleyn

Good grief

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1420650 wrote: This is the problem I keep on bumping into with the US. When do you cease having a collection of states and start to have a country?

That's a constitutional question Bryn. It is constantly being dealt with.
Snooz

Good grief

Post by Snooz »

Bryn Mawr;1420650 wrote: This is the problem I keep on bumping into with the US. When do you cease having a collection of states and start to have a country?

I'm sure Accountable will have an angry answer for you.
Bryn Mawr

Good grief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1420662 wrote: That's a constitutional question Bryn. It is constantly being dealt with.

It's aggravating, every time I think I've got a handle on it something like this turns up and sets me back to square one :-(
Bryn Mawr

Good grief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1420665 wrote: I'm sure Accountable will have an angry answer for you.

I'm not convinced about that.

BTS gave angry answers, Acc thinks before he replies and that makes a huge difference.

Only trouble is, it makes me stop and think before I answer him and that can do permanent harm to your pre-conceived ideas.
AnneBoleyn

Good grief

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Who is BTS?
AnneBoleyn

Good grief

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1420667 wrote: It's aggravating, every time I think I've got a handle on it something like this turns up and sets me back to square one :-(

Would you be surprised to learn most (almost all) Americans don't give a tinker's damn what happens in Britain? Or anyplace not us.
Snooz

Good grief

Post by Snooz »

AnneBoleyn;1420675 wrote: Who is BTS?

He was a long time member quite a while ago that would get pissed off in discussions and resort to namecalling and insults. His wife was nice though.
Snowfire

Good grief

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1420678 wrote: He was a long time member quite a while ago that would get pissed off in discussions and resort to namecalling and insults. His wife was nice though.

He would SHOUT a lot and often in COLOUR
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Good grief

Post by Snooz »

LOL, I forgot about that. He color coded his paragraphs for me once.
YZGI

Good grief

Post by YZGI »

You have to give Mississippi a break. They are always a few years behind the rest of us here in the ole US of A. All countries need a Mississippi, makes us feel better about the State we live in. Then, in every State you always have that one town that still has laws like , hanging for spitting on the sidewalk. That's just the way we roll...
gmc

Good grief

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1420676 wrote: Would you be surprised to learn most (almost all) Americans don't give a tinker's damn what happens in Britain? Or anyplace not us.

Not in the least. Most brits don't actually give a tinkers curse what happens in the states either it's just you have some incredibly odd people with weird ideas that are endlessly entertaining in a "they said what!!" kind of way plus you seem to have the impression you are somehow more advanced than the rest of the world and are in a position to tell everybody what they should be doing. That's fun as well. It simply struck me as worthy of comment that Mississippi somehow "forgot" to ratify the ending of slavery

Constitutional Peasants - YouTube
Bryn Mawr

Good grief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1420676 wrote: Would you be surprised to learn most (almost all) Americans don't give a tinker's damn what happens in Britain? Or anyplace not us.

Or know where we are most likely :)

Brits on the other hand tend to be interested in what's going on in the world :p

Return to “United States”