Yikes, Hoarders!

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
CinnamonBear

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CinnamonBear »

It's probably the most shocking show we watch. I can't stand clutter and this show always makes me want to get up and check the cabinets and closets to see if there's anything more we can donate. :yh_doh

They say that millions of people suffer from hoarding. Up to the ceiling type of rooms. The shows where they hoard rotting food is probably the worst of it. The organizers have to go in there with face masks, gloves, entire body suits. WOW!!!

And there's animal hoarding too, but I can't bear to watch that. :(

Has anyone seen this show and do you find it as disturbing as I do? I simply don't understand ...
Peg

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Peg »

I watch it all the time. I cannot see how they can live they way they do. Two of my favorite lines from it are, "I'm not a hoarder. I'm a collector" and when asked why there was a toilet in the bathtub, the response was, "Because there's nowhere else to put it."
CinnamonBear

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CinnamonBear »

Peg;1335040 wrote: I watch it all the time. I cannot see how they can live they way they do. Two of my favorite lines from it are, "I'm not a hoarder. I'm a collector" and when asked why there was a toilet in the bathtub, the response was, "Because there's nowhere else to put it."

Funny, we must have missed that one. I like how much patience the organizers have. Woah, I can't see myself in that job. I love the before and after pictures too.

PS: I'm glad the TV doesn't emit the smells from that show.
Odie

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Odie »

I've seen a few episodes and just cannot phantom anyone living in such disgust.:yh_sick

-These people have OCD, Obessive Compulsive Disorder.

many have it and don't even know it.

I remember a while back someone I knew had this disorder, when she wanted a chocolate bar, she ordered them in cases, her husband had no idea what to do with her, so I suggested she needs to see a shrink...she never did.

She still has this disorder, now its the comptuer 24/7, and he sits all alone....
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by K.Snyder »

CinnamonBear;1335038 wrote: It's probably the most shocking show we watch. I can't stand clutter and this show always makes me want to get up and check the cabinets and closets to see if there's anything more we can donate. :yh_doh

They say that millions of people suffer from hoarding. Up to the ceiling type of rooms. The shows where they hoard rotting food is probably the worst of it. The organizers have to go in there with face masks, gloves, entire body suits. WOW!!!

And there's animal hoarding too, but I can't bear to watch that. :(

Has anyone seen this show and do you find it as disturbing as I do? I simply don't understand ...

Well if you understood then you'd be a hoarder.

Usually toxoplasmosis sets in rather rapidly which becomes an utter death sentence. They must grow attached to the stench because it reminds them of their first dead cat. I propose we sell "RottenCat" as a deodorizer so that they may not feel the need to keep their dead cat once discovered(More than all likelihood from the unsanitary living conditions-but don't tell them that they'll have a heart attack).

Here's the advertising song...

"RottenCat oh RottenCat I Love you like there's no tomorrow"

"RottenCat oh RottenCat you know not my deepest sorrow"

"RottenCat oh RottenCat I'll kill before I'd let you go to borrow"

"RottenCat oh RottenCat you stink but I really really really really really LOVE you!" "You're my RottenCat!"

"I LOVE YOU ROTTENCAT!!!!!!!"
CARLA

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CARLA »

I watch all the time I find it disturbing and facinating at the same time. I just can't stop watching and wondering if they can really helped in the long term. I have lightened up on my nuresis about cleaning somewhat over the years but NO I just don't understand HOARDING never will.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I feel rather than pour scorn on people, there should be some sympathy. No-one knows what they may have endured through their lives. Abuse victems for example manifest them-selves In many ways later In life.

Who are we to judge?

Ridiculing them just for car crash tv while those with superior attitudes sit and mock Is not the way to help people.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Peg »

I watch it because I am fascinated and do want to understand exactly what they are thinking. I just do not get it. I feel for their families who are so frustrated. I don't get it when these families know they could lose their children if they don't clean up their act, yet still fight get rid of anything.
Odie

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1335067 wrote: I watch all the time I find it disturbing and facinating at the same time. I just can't stop watching and wondering if they can really helped in the long term. I have lightened up on my nuresis about cleaning somewhat over the years but NO I just don't understand HOARDING never will.

I found the few episodes I watched extremely disturbing also.

I still say its a rare case of OCD.
CARLA

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CARLA »

I feel for them I just don't understand it as the filth is so extreme and they appear normal outside their awful environment. I know something triggered it and many times they know exactly what it was and still in some cases even with intense help they still hoard. It is no different than obsessive complusive behavior, as with both it is a behavior.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Odie

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1335075 wrote: I feel for them I just don't understand it as the filth is so extreme and they appear normal outside their awful environment. I know something triggered it and many times they know exactly what it was and still in some cases even with intense help they still hoard. It is no different than obsessive complusive behavior, as with both it is a behavior.

After my first marriage broke up, I never grieved nor cried.....I was happy with just myself and my two sons.

Two years later I became paranoid with wind and thunderstorms.

I would watch the weather network at least 20 times a day.

I would have to phone my mom to come over at the least sign of a small storm.

I finally saw a physictrist as I couldn't handle it anymore, he of course helped me by making me face my fears.....

long story short, he told me, if one does not grieve..something will happen.

and for me it was OCD about weather.

so I know tons of things can trigger a severe case of OCD.

and..I had two more cases after that.
CARLA

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CARLA »

Glad you got help Odie that is always the first step. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Oscar Namechange

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Peg;1335071 wrote: I watch it because I am fascinated and do want to understand exactly what they are thinking. I just do not get it. I feel for their families who are so frustrated. I don't get it when these families know they could lose their children if they don't clean up their act, yet still fight get rid of anything. That Is why I find It loathsome TV. There are people watching that relishing In the prospect of them possibly losing their children. That is not the actions of some-one who has their mental state In order, to risk losing their children. That is why I feel they do have severe depression or some other Issue's. I just find gawping at them, mocking them, quite circus ring like behaviour. To me, that is not good tv, seeing the angusih of people who obviously have a problem and shame on the programme makers for making them the subject of people's mockery.

That Is not to say you or some other people watch just to mock.... a few do I am sure.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1335079 wrote: Glad you got help Odie that is always the first step. :)

thank you Carla, I wish Hoarders would seek medical help as they are stugggling 24/7 and I know mine was never even close to how much they are suffering and their familes, shocked their familes don't realise they need medical help, but also some refuse it as they see no harm in what they're doing.
flopstock

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by flopstock »

I get a mini dumpster every few years and start clearing from one end of the house to the other. My family accuses me of not being sentimental enough.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Boogalette

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Boogalette »

flopstock;1335098 wrote: I get a mini dumpster every few years and start clearing from one end of the house to the other. My family accuses me of not being sentimental enough.

I`ve been accused of that as well. I figure if it`s not used in the past 6 months to a year, out it goes...it is taking up too much space.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
CinnamonBear

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CinnamonBear »

Odie;1335076 wrote: After my first marriage broke up, I never grieved nor cried.....I was happy with just myself and my two sons.

Two years later I became paranoid with wind and thunderstorms.

I would watch the weather network at least 20 times a day.

I would have to phone my mom to come over at the least sign of a small storm.

I finally saw a physictrist as I couldn't handle it anymore, he of course helped me by making me face my fears.....

long story short, he told me, if one does not grieve..something will happen.

and for me it was OCD about weather.

so I know tons of things can trigger a severe case of OCD.

and..I had two more cases after that.

Odie, thank you. You just answered a question for me. I had a friend (may she rest in peace) who was engrossed in the weather. I never figured it as a compulsive disorder, I thought she was just overly concerned about weather and let it go as that. I would call long disance and ask how she was. Her first reply was alwayyys a weather report. Always and immediately. I never understood it. No matter what subject we were talking about, she always got it back to her local weather report. I figured it as part of her uniqueness, but I see now it was a whole lot more.

I wish for her NOW sunny skies in heaven today and for alllll of eternity. Thank you for making that all "click." I get it now.
koan

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by koan »

flopstock;1335098 wrote: I get a mini dumpster every few years and start clearing from one end of the house to the other. My family accuses me of not being sentimental enough.

One of the reasons I'm always glad to find a friend who has a pickup truck.

**** sentimental. If you can't move somewhere with just a suitcase it's time to detach from stuff. Having done it a few times, I've come to enjoy starting a new home from scratch.
koan

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by koan »

I don't picture the viewing audience intended as being a bunch of mockers. I think they really want to reach out to people who suffer from the disorder and, hopefully, put a damper on the current "affluenza" problem.

I think the people who watch with glee are the same ones who find Judge Judy more interesting.
CinnamonBear

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by CinnamonBear »

koan;1335575 wrote: One of the reasons I'm always glad to find a friend who has a pickup truck.

**** sentimental. If you can't move somewhere with just a suitcase it's time to detach from stuff. Having done it a few times, I've come to enjoy starting a new home from scratch.

I love that thought, travel light. On the other hand, if you need, all of my brothers have pickups. :)
Peg

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Peg »

I think the show is actually a good thing. You hear of hoarding but to actually see it! Before the show, I'd heard of it, but once I actually saw it with my own eyes, then I realized how hard this is for people to beat.
Bez

Yikes, Hoarders!

Post by Bez »

I've never been a hoarder. My 'ex' was and when we split he just picked it all up and took it with him. I think he's sorted through it now though.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

Return to “General TV Shows”