Down on the farm

magentaflame

Down on the farm

Post by magentaflame »

A deep mist is covering the paddocks, it's cold and dreary and I'm about to let tje geese out.

I've been looking up harvesting goose down twice a year. I didnt even know that was a thing until I saw a heated argument on a chicken site. We shall see what it brings and if its worth it.

I'm a bit dissapointed with my timing of a course I have to go away for soon. Im going to miss the goslings being born/hatch

Its kind of a mix up at tje moment.

One chicken decided to go broody and has been sitting on eggs for awhile now. But the duck has been pushing her off and laying eggs in her nest. Of course they arent fertile so I've been taking them. But the duck has decided she!s layed enough eggs and has permanently kicked the chook off the nest and is now sitting on eggs that arent hers.

Meanwhile, ive had to take bantam eggs from another nest and put them under the broody chook

The goose has had the same problem with her sister laying eggs in her nest. 12 eggs all up she's sitting on .thats after i took away 15. ....(

When the hatchlings are finally here I'll work out a way to put some pics up.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
YZGI

Down on the farm

Post by YZGI »

What about the emu's?
magentaflame

Down on the farm

Post by magentaflame »

Nah, they can stay up the road. Fences arent tall enough and you need a license.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Down on the farm

Post by magentaflame »

Because I don't have the capacity to upload pics at the moment Im allowing my avatars to do the talking for me. The current avatar is the first years clutch of my Japanese Bantam chicks. 11 in all and I must say very cute, there are even more on the way. I personally believe the black and white ones look like little penguins. They are no good for the pot (too small) so some will be kept as ornamental chooks and I'll sell the others.

Unfortunetly because of the first Operation I was away during the hatching of the goslings. Four were born but all died. Fortunetly though I'll be home for the next clutch and hopefully we'll have more luck.

Return to “Pastoral”