La Llorona (Weeping Woman) and other folktales

Discuss topics ranging from UFO's to Unexplained Phenomena.
RedGlitter

La Llorona (Weeping Woman) and other folktales

Post by RedGlitter »

In Mexican folklore I understand there is a folktale of La Llorona, a woman who allegedly killed her children because her lover, a prince, didn't want them. After she killed them (by knife or by drowning as the stories go) the prince jilted her for another. She killed herself and spends eternity roaming around, crying for her children.

I believe that's the Mexican version and it's popular here in the southwest but there are many other tales of weeping women all across the states and the world.

In Kingman AZ, an hour from where I live, there is a place called Slaughterhouse Canyon or Luana's Canyon. In mining days, a family settled there and the husband would go off on long mining trips, occasionally returning home to bring provisions for the family. Once he did not return. Rather than see her kids starve to death, Luana drowned them in a stream, then went mad and killed herself. Now she haunts the canyon looking for her children.

I have a big interest in ghosts and folktales so I thought I would ask if any of you have any weeping woman stories or indeed any other tales of your own?

:)

Return to “Paranormal Science”