Hints for the gardener

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
MsContrary

Hints for the gardener

Post by MsContrary »

Does anyone have any good garden hints?

I'll start off with one. Save your used tea bags and place them over the drain holes in the bottom of your flower pots. It keeps the soil from spilling out and allows for drainage. Used coffee filters are also good for this if you aren't a tea drinker.

In my recent filling of "six pack" containers for my seedlings I used coffee filter paper in the bottom and dropped a couple of those polymer soil moisture retaining crystals in the bottom of each cell before filling them with soil. My seedlings look great!

Mary
Tombstone

Hints for the gardener

Post by Tombstone »

Hi Mary,

Those are great tips! We are going to start with seedlings first this year. We get those late in the season killing frosts too. I planted literally 5 days too early last year and we had a frost that killed almost everything.

I'll never doubt Mother Nature again. :)

Anyway, we are going to do seedlings, but keep them in our "mud room" where it stays relatively warm during the early and late spring. We hope to get a jump on growing our plants and then we'll be able to plant them and hopefully have a successful garden again. We'll be doing the usual assortment of vegetables.

MsContrary wrote: Does anyone have any good garden hints?

I'll start off with one. Save your used tea bags and place them over the drain holes in the bottom of your flower pots. It keeps the soil from spilling out and allows for drainage. Used coffee filters are also good for this if you aren't a tea drinker.

In my recent filling of "six pack" containers for my seedlings I used coffee filter paper in the bottom and dropped a couple of those polymer soil moisture retaining crystals in the bottom of each cell before filling them with soil. My seedlings look great!

Mary
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
vampress.rozz

Hints for the gardener

Post by vampress.rozz »

For more of the same as well as hints, tips and advice on many other subjects visit www.hintsandthings.com - love to see you.

June

Hi i went to your site and to the section marked LIFE'S IMPONDERABLES, laughed myself silly Thanks a lot
Blessed be.
jahamaa

Hints for the gardener

Post by jahamaa »

Hi folks, just came across a great product for planting in pots, they may not be new but there're new to me. 7" square pads that hold up to a quart of water. just put them in the bottom of the pot and it cuts way down on how often you need to water your potted plants. trouble is I haven't been able to find a reliable source for them.
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
capt_buzzard

Hints for the gardener

Post by capt_buzzard »

Great to get back to basics. The English Country Garden

www.contemplator.com/england/garden.html

Attached files
weeder

Hints for the gardener

Post by weeder »

I made my living gardening and landscaping for clients in Virginia for 8 years. Two years before that in New York. Last year I moved to the southeast coast of Georgia. Its like Im someone who never touched dirt. The climate is frighteningly different. Salt in the air, the soil is 90% sand. And of course it is blazingly hot and humid from march till early December... I have a large piece of property to WORK ON this spring. Im actually frightened.. Cant afford to lose everything$$$

So far I have a limited list of winners...... Juniper family.. Camelias, Rhodos, azaleas. Knock out rose bushes.Abelias... Thats about it. Of course I can hit the books allover again.. Id rather trust tried and true from other gardeners... Anyone familiar with this area? I am particuarly interested in successful perrennials. I am so dissapointed... cant grow my beloved Lavender.. But crazy.. Rosemary grows well.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]

Return to “Gardening Forum”