why is dirt so darned expensive?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

Hello ,

As I have said on other threads my wife and I have just moved into our new Home. first home actually, in late November. I needed some fill for around the house and some top soil where I plan to put my garden.

Holy Cow when I got the estimates I almost fainted. I'd have to grow my own food for years before the dirt paid for itself.

I'm thinking I should have kept renting and just dug a hole on my property the hole would have been worth almost as much as my home. :wah:
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

jahamaa wrote: As I have said on other threads my wife and I have just moved into our new Home. first home actually, in late November. I needed some fill for around the house and some top soil where I plan to put my garden.

Holy Cow when I got the estimates I almost fainted. I'd have to grow my own food for years before the dirt paid for itself.

If it's a new house, can't the builders do anything to help? Can you have a word with anyone on a project which requires the removal of topsoil? Can you "shop around"? Do you really need to raise the ground level, instead of improve what's there?

In my part of the UK, a builders merchant will supply a ton bag of topsoil for about £38 - much cheaper per unit by the lorryload!
Paula

Post by Paula »

i am in the dirt business, its not a cheap one to be in? to want something means you have to pay for it. Example: Screening plant=$150,000.00, Loader to dig and load plant=$275,000.00, Person to operate Equipment=$21.00 per. hour, OH you need a truck to deliver now=$135,000.00. Any other questions? Processing dirt is not fun, extremely costly. Don't try it. We call it the money pit. AND if you want "clean" organic topsoil--you have to pay for that too. :lips:
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.

Return to “Gardening Forum”