Dangers of wearing headphones ....

StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Clancy wrote: I've done the same thing myself, Arnold. The danger with monitoring, you can be at it for hours ...and don't ask me why , but , everyone increases the volume as the day goes on, and as they're fully cupped phones , the bass frequencies are thumping away merrily. Over the last couple of years, I've put the headphone amp out of reach.

As for Pete Townsend, I think its been a combination of being in front of Hiwatt stacks , and prolonged headphone wear. The danger with todays in ear phones is exactly that....they're right in the lug hole ...and as the article was saying , people keep turning them up to mask out traffic, train , or anyother noise thats going on around them

I started wearing very small earplugs ...(.the type that look like Blu-Tak) years ago because I was beginning to get constant ringing in my ears ....but I put that down to standing in front of 100 watt amps .....lovely as it is , I valued my hearing all the same. What you said in another thread about wearing larger (open phones) makes perfect sense .....the thing is, till it' becomes "cool" to do that , many will continue to go with the in ear phones.

I really dont like anything over or in my ears. I very seldom wear them. I use to get in trouble with listening to my music. I still think I have some hearing loss though.
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Actually, it's still a mystery what Tinnitus is and where it's located (the brain, the middle ear, the thyroid). I've had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember, way before I listened to loud music and worked around even louder machinery.

I have recently been fitted for hearing aids though.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I have read/heard a while ago, that new research shows that some tinnitus can be treated by "retuning" the brain, however that works.

I've lived with tinnitus for years now. I dislike quietness and always go to sleep with the radio on. Alcohol makes the noises louder (I can hear 3 distinct tones)
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

It is, as they say, a bugger. Having a PC fan generating white noise near my desk is a major improvement over so-called blissful silence. I'd be upset if I had a quiet one foisted on me.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I prefer silence to any background noise whatsoever. What I would give to have utter silence.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Snowfire;1355466 wrote: Alcohol makes the noises louder (I can hear 3 distinct tones)

Ah! One of those tones might be She-who-must-be-obeyed especially when exacerbated by alcohol
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1355485 wrote: Ah! One of those tones might be She-who-must-be-obeyed especially when exacerbated by alcohol

Without prying into the secrets of nuptial felicity, is it that she gets louder or is your awareness enhanced?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “General Music”