Opera Soprano Beverly Sills Dead at 78

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

This might fall on blind eyes as I wonder how many opera fans we may have in here, but I always thought Beverly Sills was a cool chick and she was the reason I grew an interest in opera.

She died of cancer.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/8292812.html
spot

Post by spot »

Yes I noticed that earlier too. I understand she did a lot on TV to popularise opera in the US, I'm all for that. I don't recall ever having had an opportunity to see one of her shows here though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I remember her being on PBS (Public Broadcasting System) and I think, Performance at Wolftrap if I'm not mistaken but I can't recall which shows of hers I watched now. I was pretty young. But I do rememeber liking her very much. Her autobiography called "Bubbles" (her nickname) was really good and worth reading.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that is sad to hear. She had a beautiful voice.
weeder

Post by weeder »

She was a beautiful woman. She tried to bring opera to a place where more people would be willing to listen to it, and discover the beauty of it. I have loved opera since I was very young. My aunt gave me an album with a coloratura soprano singing Strausses waltzes. I was blown away. It was hard to distinguish her voice from that of a flute. I adore Phantom of The Opera, and of course Andrea Bocelli, who also has brought opera to the masses.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Phantom of the Opera is great. I really like that. My favorite opera o fteh few I've seen would be Tosca. :)

Return to “General Music”