Led Zeppelin are the greatest hard rock band of all time: Discuss?

Galbally

Post by Galbally »

OK then, lets be having ye? The Zeppelin were playing the O2 arena in London tonight, now I am guessing that they don't quite rock the way they did in their heydey, but in their time, I doubt anyone has ever quite rocked like the boys from the mothership. Anyone wanna question that?

P.S. If you even try and compare any of those stupid girlie bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, or f-ing Greenday (argghhh) or the likes of that mofo-ing crap to Zeppelin I will personally ring the USAF and have them drop a daisy cutter on your house. :guitarist
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Galbally;737683 wrote: OK then, lets be having ye? The Zeppelin were playing the O2 arena in London tonight, now I am guessing that they don't quite rock the way they did in their heydey, but in their time, I doubt anyone has ever quite rocked like the boys from Rock's mothership. Anyone wanna question that?

P.S. If you even try and compare any of those stupid girlie bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, or f-ing Greenday (argghhh) or the likes of that mofo-ing crap to Zeppelin I will personally ring the USAF and have them drop a daisy cutter on your house. :guitarist

YOU ROCK!! I agree 100% with you Galbally!!

I love Zepplin and have handed that love down to my children....they appreciate GOOD music!!!:guitarist:guitarist
dubs

Post by dubs »

No one in their right mind would disagree with you G........:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
spot

Post by spot »

dubs;737697 wrote: No one in their right mind would disagree with you G........:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist

That, presumably, is a subtle cue for my appearance.

Firstly Galbally I think it's quite possible that they're as good as at their best, there's several groups around from back then of whom that'd be true.

As to who might be better metal than Zep the first thought would be Richie Blackmore's Rainbow because Ronny James Dio's a better vocalist when he gets the wind behind him. I'm a heathen and preferred Rainbow to Deep Purple, I'm sure I'll have to answer for that in the afterlife.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

I dunno, the Stones were pretty amazing in their day... and The Who.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Led Zeppelin still rock... and they are in my age group.

(I bought one of their albums back when I was 19.)

Glad to hear their show was a big hit.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

Was Bad Co considered hard rock? They're my fave.
dubs

Post by dubs »

spot;737701 wrote: That, presumably, is a subtle cue for my appearance.

Firstly Galbally I think it's quite possible that they're as good as at their best, there's several groups around from back then of whom that'd be true.

As to who might be better metal than Zep the first thought would be Richie Blackmore's Rainbow because Ronny James Dio's a better vocalist when he gets the wind behind him. I'm a heathen and preferred Rainbow to Deep Purple, I'm sure I'll have to answer for that in the afterlife.

I stand by my statement! And yes, you're a heathen....:thinking:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

they are on live right now on VH1 :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
KB.

Post by KB. »

As far as rock goes they are my favorite. I still love my southern bands from that time like Allman Brothers though.

Hell I wrote a story about the first time I heard Going to California.
Life ain't linear.
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

Wish I had a good comment, but in their hey day I was living in Texas and it was country all the way for this cowgirl.:wah:
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

Gall.

Love and respect you man but I think Aerosmith may have taken the throne.

Maybe I should do a battle of the bands radidio show.

:D
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

JacksDad;737774 wrote: Gall.

Love and respect you man but I think Aerosmith may have taken the throne.

Maybe I should do a battle of the bands radidio show.

:D

I had a friend I worked with a few years ago get VERY upset with me, because I compared the Stones to Aerosmith and said that they were equally as good as each other, and that I actually prefer Aerosmith over the Stones....she got VERY upset with me, as if I offended her.....It was afterall....just my opinon!:rolleyes:
KB.

Post by KB. »

Back Back Train by Aerosmith is one of my top three all time rock songs.
Life ain't linear.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

KB.;737793 wrote: Back Back Train by Aerosmith is one of my top three all time rock songs.

I'm with you !!! Awesome song!!

:guitarist:guitarist:guitarist
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:guitarist Led Zeppelin Rocks ....!!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

moonpie

Post by moonpie »

CARLA;737805 wrote: :guitarist Led Zeppelin Rocks ....!!!

Sounds to me I was living under a rock!! But this is what happens when you live in TX, you get so totally into their stuff too. Good food, good music, good beer, but too much summer.:wah:
drumbunny1

Post by drumbunny1 »

I absolutly LOVE Zepplin!!! They are the best "Metal" band ever.....yes even better than Metallica!!! BUT they are, in my mind tied with Pink Floyd as my two faves!!! I'm also wondering how good they did....no way were they bad ofcourse...and now that they're all older and off drugs (I Hope) it could go either way...some of the best bands made their best music while on drugs...but I also saw Styx last year...thinking they were all old men out of their time...but they freaking ROCKED!!!! Also...John Bonhams son played drums...I thought that was pretty cool!!!! :guitarist YEAH!!! I'm just bummed I couldn't go!!! :-1
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Nah, I don't think Rainbow are better than Zeppelin Spot, though there are not a bad band, but we are talking about Led Zeppelin here. You certainly will have to answer for preffering Rainbow to Deep Purple as well (or so my friends who were teenagers in the 1970s are telling me!) I did hear that the concert rocked though, and thats great! I would love to see them live.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

drumbunny1;737847 wrote: I absolutly LOVE Zepplin!!! They are the best "Metal" band ever.....yes even better than Metallica!!! BUT they are, in my mind tied with Pink Floyd as my two faves!!! I'm also wondering how good they did....no way were they bad ofcourse...and now that they're all older and off drugs (I Hope) it could go either way...some of the best bands made their best music while on drugs...but I also saw Styx last year...thinking they were all old men out of their time...but they freaking ROCKED!!!! Also...John Bonhams son played drums...I thought that was pretty cool!!!! :guitarist YEAH!!! I'm just bummed I couldn't go!!! :-1

I was having that disscussion with someone last night, how I love Aerosmiths "drug induced" stuff better than their "sober stuff"! I agree....and it just seems the older stuff is more meaningful....at least to me it does....:rolleyes:
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Snooze;737718 wrote: Was Bad Co considered hard rock? They're my fave.

Now you're talking !

They really came from the same British Blues based stable. And of course they were the only other band to appear on Zeppelins Swansong.

Back in 1979, Bad Co. played 3 consecutive nights at Birmingham Odeon and for all 3 shows, I had the middle seat on the front row. What made this a real privilege was that for 2 of those nights, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page came onstage to jam with Bad Company. That was one hell of a collaboration. :guitarist.

I would imagine last nights show was almost a pseudo-religious experience.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Was Led Zep the definitive rock band in its day ?

No.

There were plenty of other guys that were sweating it out on the stage at the same time.

They did come along at the right time with a good product and plenty of it though.

Comparing bands is apples and oranges.
I AM AWESOME MAN
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Led Zeppelin

CCR

Grand Funk Railroad

Lynard Skynyrd

Euria Heap

Rory Gallagher

Alice Cooper

Rush

And many others already mentioned by others rocked me for many years.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I've been giving "Physical Graffiti" a hammering in the car over the weekend. It was always my favourite. :guitarist

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally;737683 wrote: OK then, lets be having ye? The Zeppelin were playing the O2 arena in London tonight, now I am guessing that they don't quite rock the way they did in their heydey, but in their time, I doubt anyone has ever quite rocked like the boys from the mothership. Anyone wanna question that?

Having seen them at Earls Court in '75 I have to say they do, indeed, rock.

Would I pay big money to see them now? Having heard some of the prices paid, they're out of my league.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A heathen indeed - whilst Rainbow Rising is good, Book of Taliesyn and Purple in Rock are exceptional.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I completely agree that music is an artform not a spectator sport, so its meaningless saying who is "best" really, but I am an eegit so.........

Aerosmith better than the Zeppelin? :-2 Nah! :D

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The Stones arent in the equation ?

Different animal ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Galbally;742959 wrote: I completely agree that music is an artform not a spectator sport, so its meaningless saying who is "best" really, but I am an eegit so.........

Aerosmith better than the Zeppelin? :-2 Nah! :D

I've met Messrs. Plant and Tyler. Both very charming.

spot

Post by spot »

The next big concert seems to be Michael Jackson in February at O2 for anything up to ten nights, how's that for bravery? Oh, and Chris de Burgh is playing a 12000 seat stadium in Iran.

You couldn't make up stuff like this, the world's a strange place.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

spot;743691 wrote: The next big concert seems to be Michael Jackson in February at O2 for anything up to ten nights, how's that for bravery? Oh, and Chris de Burgh is playing a 12000 seat stadium in Iran.

Bringing up MJ and CD in a LZ thread is an inappropriate display of irreverence.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;743691 wrote: The next big concert seems to be Michael Jackson in February at O2 for anything up to ten nights, how's that for bravery? Oh, and Chris de Burgh is playing a 12000 seat stadium in Iran.

I would seriously pay pay per view to see the Irish Warbler DeBurgh charming the mad mullahs with his never-ending rendition of Lady in Red, ye gods the world is weird sometimes. :thinking:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Nomad;743012 wrote: The Stones arent in the equation ?

Different animal ?

Totally different, the Stones are in with bands like the Who and the Beatles, with the latter IMO being fairly heads and shoulders above everyone, but the Stones were pretty cool in their day as well, nearly as cool as the Fab Four and more rock and roll in a certain way. The Who rocked, we are really talking here about the top British acts, which are all pretty seminal across the world. Of course in the 1970s you had Pink Floyd who require no introduction, Bowie, T-Rex, those dudes, then the Sex Pistols and the whole punk thing. But in the 1980s things went a bit pear shaped somewhere and never really recovered. Though there are plenty of good bands in the last 20 years I suppose. U2 being our famous Irish one.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ive never considered Bowie rock. I dont actually have a definition for what he sounds like to me but its not rock.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

rjwould;751214 wrote: I've often felt that way about Bowie too. Although he does seem more rocky (can I say that?) live..

Led Zeppelin was wonderful, but I can't say which band was the best "rock band". there were so many different styles within rock and roll.

I guess glam rock coins it as well as anything. Music is subjective. I think thats the right answer.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I like some of their songs.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Nomad;750471 wrote: Bringing up MJ and CD in a LZ thread is an inappropriate display of irreverence.

I agree with that completely.. thats completely out of tangent..

Les Zeppelin are GREAAAATE! Their songs are so cool and the on stage si so magical and entranzing and cool!

in fact thats one of the few where alive recording is better than studio ones!

and for them it ment both studio and alive, they were greate at both!

The band most known for Hotel California, eagles where also very aware of studio versus concert sound and were greate too even if you can hardly compare the two bands public display.. LOL

led zeppelin was leaded by one man and that man made it all to the top.

he was bringing the soud and lyric to anotehr dimension.

Led Zeppelin rock.

:D :p
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

i love Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, The Doors, Gary Moore, Robin Fripp. A band called Rare Bird i doubt anyone has heard of:wah: i was a bit if a head banger in my day:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I have a lot I like.
Orley

Post by Orley »

In their long career I have had periodic breaks from LZ. I listen to other bands like those mentioned: Bad Company, Jeff Beck, XTC Rich Kids, The Charlatans, Gorillaz, Queen, The Soft Machine and yes, Deep Purple.

But when I come back each time, usually when they've remastered yet another compilation, I say 'YES'!!! It's not like the frist time, but pretty good nevertheless.

I couldn't get tickets to O2, so I'm going to see a tribute band in May.
Mister Smith

Post by Mister Smith »

They're my favourite band ever, but I wouldn't say most their songs are hard rock.

I think the reason I like them so much is they have so many different types of song.

I particularly like Going to California, a great acoustic song:)
hamdiderot

Post by hamdiderot »

This thread is particularly warm.

I think you got good times with the band (complete) with their Bonham who is still an inspiration for all drummers.

I like a particular song which is not theirs but when played by them is just like magic (Stairway To Heaven) , i mean Wish You Were Here of Pink Floyd.

There is a poster of them in the chamber of a character in the movie The First Snow with Guy Pearce.
Galizien

Post by Galizien »

The question is - “Greatest Hard Rock Band” -

The following ARE “Hard Rock” bands:

Led Zeppelin

1968–1980 – Present? - is a Hard Rock / Blues Rock / Country Rock / Heavy metal band with 200 million to 500 million records sold.

Queen

1970–Present – is a Hard Rock / Glam Rock / Pop / Heavy Metal / Progressive Rock band with 200 million to 500 million records sold.

AC/DC

1973–Present – is a Hard Rock / Blues Rock band with 200 million to 500 million records sold.

Deep Purple

1968–Present – is a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal with over 100 million records sold.

Black Sabbath

1968–Present - is a Hard Rock / Heavy metal band with over 100 million records sold.

Aerosmith

1970–Present – is a Hard Rock / Blues Rock band with over 100 million records sold.

Iron Maiden

1975–Present – is a Heavy Metal / Hard Rock band with over 75 million records sold.

Metallica

1981–Present – is Heavy Metal / Thrash Metal / Hard Rock with over 75 million records sold.

Guns N' Roses

1985–Present – is a Hard Rock band with over 75 million records sold.

Kiss

1973–Present - is a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal band with over 75 million records sold.

Van Halen

1972–Present - is a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal band with over 75 million records sold.

Scorpions

1969–Present - is a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal band with over 75 million records sold.

Ozzy Osbourne

1980–Present - is a Heavy Metal / Hard Rock artist with over 50 million records sold.

Alice Cooper

1965–Present - is a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / Shock Rock / Glam Rock artist with over 50 million records sold.

Boston

1969-Present - is a Rock / Hard Rock band with over 50 million records sold.

Jethro Tull

1968–Present – is a Progressive Rock / Hard Rock /Rock band with over 50 million records sold.

Some other “Hard Rock ” contenders….

Thin Lizzy

U.F.O.

Whitesnake

Motörhead

Rainbow

Rush

Triumph

Nazareth

Blue Öyster Cult

Saxon

Diamond Head

The following are well loved by many, but NOT “Hard Rock” bands –

The Rolling Stones

1962–Present – is a Rock / Pop band with 200 million to 500 million records sold.

Pink Floyd

1964–Present – is a Progressive / Psychedelic Rock band with 200 million to 500 million records sold.

The Who

1964–Present – is a Rock band with over 100 million records sold.

Eagles

1971–Present – is a Rock / Country band with over 100 million records sold.

David Bowie

1964–Present – is Rock / Glam Rock / Art Rock / Pop Rock artist with over 100 million records sold.

Status Quo

1967–Present – is a Rock band with over 100 million records sold.

Nirvana

1988–1994 – is a Alternative Rock / Grunge band with over 75 million records sold.

The Doors

1965–1973 – is a Rock / Psychedelic Rock / Blues Rock band with over 75 million records sold.

Oasis

1991-present - is a Rock / Britpop band with over 75 million records sold.

Great bands, but by no stretch of the imagination, are they "Hard Rock" bands.

The answer to the question, was summed up best by Brad Tolinski (Guitar World, Editor-in-chief) in the opening statement of “The power & Mystery”…

“For more than three decades, Led Zeppelin has remained oddly impervious to analysis. The few serious music journalists that have tried to explain the band’s timeless appeal always seem to come up short. Even to this day, there is no handy explanation or easy soundbite, or even a great book that sums up why they are the best-selling hard rock group of all time. To be fair, Zeppelin’s greatness is genuinely complex. Like a Japanese puzzle box whose mysterious contents are revealed only after one acquires a deep knowledge of how each piece works together, the group defies easy analysis. The truth must be found among the shifting layers of decadence and discipline, and light and shade, and in the explosive synergy of the four supremely talented band members.”

With that said, LED ZEPPELIN is without a doubt… “THE GREATEST HARD ROCK BAND EVER”.
raptures_music

Post by raptures_music »

I think Zeppelin did far more to influence rock as we know it than the Beatles, and I'm not saying that lightly. Sure, the Beatles were a good group and very influential, but Zeppelin absolutely demolished the standards the Beatles set and took rock in a different direction. Jimmy Page did things with a guitar that no one, Jimi Hendrix aside, would've done. Their lyrical content was more mature, cryptic, and certainly more poetic, I think. And Robert Plant's voice.

My mother had me listening to Zeppelin when I was 10, after she'd introduced me to the oldies tunes that every flower child remembers. I like a few of today's rock bands, but Zeppelin remains the best and my favorite. No one else who came before or after Zeppelin could ever compare or compete with them.
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Return to “General Music”