What Is the best band you have seen play Live?..

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have been fortunate In my life to see some awesome bands live ranging from The Stranglers to Alice Cooper.

Who would you say was the best band you have ever seen live or a piece of Music played live and Why?

I suppose those who know me best would assume I would put The Stranglers at the top of my list but I would actually put them 2nd of the best I have seen live.

3rd I would put The Rolling Stones but the best band I have ever seen play live are these fine chaps.

YouTube - The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony (Glastonbury 2008)

I was fortunate enough to be at Glastonbury as they performed this and It was one of the most awesome atmotsphere's ever.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I went and saw Gary Allan last October, he was pretty awesome!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

"The Stones" and "Huey Lewis and the News" :guitarist:guitarist
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Pink flloyd 'wish you were here'
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

Dudu Pukwana's Zila, just in terms of their electrifying spellbinding performance on the night. it takes the right audience in a small enough venue to bring the best out of a great band.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

In '69, I was in L.A. for a while.

Every weekend, popular musicians played free concerts at Griffith Park.

The Jefferson Airplane did a gig one weekend. It was fantastic.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Post by Lon »

For me it was "Stan Kenton"

YouTube - Stan Kenton - Intermission Riff (6)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Where do I start ?

The theater of Alice Cooper in the 70's.

Rory Gallagher blew me away at Reading in 1980.

The Tygers of Pantang at a local pub before anyone knew them, in the early 70's.

Ozric Tentacles at the Mean Fiddler, still as good and relevant now as they were 25-30 years ago

An unkown band playing covers in a pub in Galway in 2001

Pink Floyd on so many occasions and on so many levels. The first concert I took my son to when he was 15, along with his friend and it blew them away. Always epic in every way
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I don't attend concerts much but I did take a gal to see Paul Revere and the Raiders once. :)
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1301843 wrote: I don't attend concerts much but I did take a gal to see Paul Revere and the Raiders once. :)
That's top of the list of things I always wanted to do and never managed.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

spot;1301844 wrote: That's top of the list of things I always wanted to do and never managed.

I don't like concerts. She wanted to go.
minks

Post by minks »

hoppy;1301843 wrote: I don't attend concerts much but I did take a gal to see Paul Revere and the Raiders once. :)

I saw them at of all places..... Disneyland :wah:

Best Band I saw had to be Dire Straits they were awesome.

Pearl Jam was a darn close second.

Best Concert mind you.... had to be Garth Brooks in his early years, could that man perform. WOW.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I've attended several concerts

Huey - Rod Stewart - Chicago

Sir Paul was the best.

Patsy
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I have been to Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd (when seating collapsed) Dire Straits, but my very favourite, my all time hero Mr Stevie Wonder.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Queen just after seven seas of rhye had hit number one. Sheer chance I had tickets. Sadly I can't remember the name of the girl I went with. She's probably forgotten me as well but queen were rubbish as most bands are to begin with.
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1301836 wrote: Where do I start ?

The theater of Alice Cooper in the 70's.

Rory Gallagher blew me away at Reading in 1980.

The Tygers of Pantang at a local pub before anyone knew them, in the early 70's.

Ozric Tentacles at the Mean Fiddler, still as good and relevant now as they were 25-30 years ago

An unkown band playing covers in a pub in Galway in 2001

Pink Floyd on so many occasions and on so many levels. The first concert I took my son to when he was 15, along with his friend and it blew them away. Always epic in every way Were you a regular to Reading?

Were you there when The Stranglers were the warm up to Iron Maiden?

That was funny. The Police were on high alert after thousands of die hard Stranglers fans descended on Reading and thousands of Hells Angels turned up for Iron Maiden. Every-one was convinced It was going to kick off. As The Stranglers left the stage, some Hells Angles were over-heard saying 'I say, they were rather good wern't they'?

Another time at Reading, The Stranglers were the main booking and their warm up was a band called Aswad who must hold the record for the shortest amount of time spent on stage. They came out and the lead singer told the crowd that If they didn't stop throwing bottles at them, they wern't going to play.... Oh dear !!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

gmc;1302006 wrote: Queen just after seven seas of rhye had hit number one. Sheer chance I had tickets. Sadly I can't remember the name of the girl I went with. She's probably forgotten me as well but queen were rubbish as most bands are to begin with.

One band I didnt see but would have loved to. Many that did, said they were great live. First saw them on The Whistle Test, I think about 73/74. Thought they were fantastic. Not so much of a fan for the later stuff

oscar;1302041 wrote: Were you a regular to Reading?

Were you there when The Stranglers were the warm up to Iron Maiden?

That was funny. The Police were on high alert after thousands of die hard Stranglers fans descended on Reading and thousands of Hells Angels turned up for Iron Maiden. Every-one was convinced It was going to kick off. As The Stranglers left the stage, some Hells Angles were over-heard saying 'I say, they were rather good wern't they'?

Another time at Reading, The Stranglers were the main booking and their warm up was a band called Aswad who must hold the record for the shortest amount of time spent on stage. They came out and the lead singer told the crowd that If they didn't stop throwing bottles at them, they wern't going to play.... Oh dear !!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

No, sadly '80 was the only time I went to Reading Rock Festival - hitched a lift all the way and was picked up by a plain clothes Police officer who took me most of the way after giving me a bollocking for thumbing a lift on the motorway.

Also saw UFO and Pat Travers.

What struck me most about that festival was the amount of huge bonfires dotted amongst the crowd and tripping over bottles of p!ss. As for the Hells Angels, they've always been a polite bunch. What brainbox came up with the idea of putting Aswad on the bill ? :rolleyes:

Winston Churchill
ProjectCarTV

Post by ProjectCarTV »

I have forgotten more concerts Ive been to than I can name.
bongbong

Post by bongbong »

screaming lord such
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1301809 wrote: Pink flloyd 'wish you were here'

You suck !

Grateful Dead I suppose. Robert Cray maybe.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Dubliners:-4
jmslee123

Post by jmslee123 »

The best band I've seen live was KISS in the '2000 Millenium Concert' in Vancouver,Canada.The best band I have seen play Live is here.

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Steve Miller Band

Poison
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

How do you even begin to pick a favorite, there have been so many:

Pink Floyd

Roger Waters

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Genesis

Supertramp

The Who

Moody Blues

Roxy Music

RUSH

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet band

Elton John

Simply Red

Klaatu

The worst concert I had ever been to was Madonna, total sh1t.
fisher

Post by fisher »

I would have to say Elton John and than ACDC....
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
spot

Post by spot »

I still have very fond memories of seeing T Rex perform. That was an odd evening all round.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Never did see the attraction of Kiss. Quite enjoy the theatre surrounding the make up and stuff but their music was very average

By Mikeinie

How do you even begin to pick a favorite, there have been so many:

Pink Floyd

Roger Waters

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Genesis

Supertramp

The Who

Moody Blues

Roxy Music

RUSH

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet band

Elton John

Simply Red

Klaatu

I'd go to see any of those bands maybe apart from the ginger tosser :D

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1316020 wrote: I'd go to see any of those bands maybe apart from the ginger tosser :DChris Evans was in a band??

Oh... him on the piano. I bet you'd have avoided Liberace too.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1316021 wrote: Chris Evans was in a band??

Oh... him on the piano. I bet you'd have avoided Liberace too.

No not him on the piano. Him on the piano's fine, especially early doors. Made some fine albums in the early 70's. Its that Mick Hucknell that makes my toes curl

Winston Churchill
Raven

Post by Raven »

Creed. Weathered tour. Virgina Beach Amphitheater. WAAAAAY good!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

The best band I've seen live was mine !!!! :yh_rotfl I was so busy working, my band was the only one I had a chance to see :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Well I was going to put a photo on here, from my 'photographs' but all I'm getting through the 'manage attachments' having gone through the correct procedure, is a flamin blank page! I have always been used to uploading my pics this way, and I have uploaded this particular pic successfully several times before, so what has happened on Forum Garden. I'm not a happy bunny ! :mad:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1316066 wrote: The best band I've seen live was mine !!!! :yh_rotfl I was so busy working, my band was the only one I had a chance to see :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Well I was going to put a photo on here, from my 'photographs' but all I'm getting through the 'manage attachments' having gone through the correct procedure, is a flamin blank page! I have always been used to uploading my pics this way, and I have uploaded this particular pic successfully several times before, so what has happened on Forum Garden. I'm not a happy bunny ! :mad:

Size?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bryn Mawr;1316098 wrote: Size?

It is difficult to know, Bryn. I have used the same picture before, for posting on here, and there was no trouble then. I haven't changed anything, so something must have been altered in the specs in the forum, or else a fault has developed somehow.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1316102 wrote: It is difficult to know, Bryn. I have used the same picture before, for posting on here, and there was no trouble then. I haven't changed anything, so something must have been altered in the specs in the forum, or else a fault has developed somehow.

When you click on manage attachments it lists the limits by file type.

If you display your picture directory it will tell you the file size (if the viewer is set for details - if not then right click over the picture and select properties).

That will tell you if the picture is over the current limit.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well the pic that I wanted to post is 577 kb but the size max quoted when I click for the brouse page is 488.3, so how come I was able to upload a few months ago?

How do I reduce my picture, so I will be able to upload it?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1316147 wrote: Well the pic that I wanted to post is 577 kb but the size max quoted when I click for the brouse page is 488.3, so how come I was able to upload a few months ago?

How do I reduce my picture, so I will be able to upload it?

Use a photo editor and either scale it down or, if it's a JPG, then reduce the q factor slightly then do a save as. If it's a BMP, just converting it to a JPG should reduce the size.

The editor I use is Irfanview ('cos it's good and it's free) which has the added advantage that you can do a batch of pictures in one go. There are lots of alternatives out there and any of them will do the job.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Snowfire;1316020 wrote: Never did see the attraction of Kiss. Quite enjoy the theatre surrounding the make up and stuff but their music was very average

By Mikeinie

I'd go to see any of those bands maybe apart from the ginger tosser :D

I hear you on that one, and only went because my wife wanted to go (really), but I tell ya, I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually a fantastic concert and very entertaining.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I loved attending a FYC....Fine Young Cannibals concert at the Garden State Art Center in Noo Joisey. We were sitting outside on a beautiful night just enjoying all the fine music. FYI was spectacular:-4

Fine Young Cannibals ? Free listening, videos, concerts, stats, & pictures at Last.fm

YouTube - Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

YouTube - Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Daveboy

Post by Daveboy »

I havent seen a good gig for a few years but one of the best performances I saw was at the Royal Albert Hall in 1999 by The Moody Blues

now I was never a big fan of the band but my partner at the time persuaded me to go see them with her.
spot

Post by spot »

I saw Curved Air on stage and that qualifies too, best band I've seen. They were cosmic.

I found a couple of clips from the time. It was pretty much like that on stage.

YouTube - Curved Air - Backstreet Luv

YouTube - Curved Air - Vivaldi

Right on.
spot

Post by spot »

And - while I have a tab for youtube in front of me - having YouTube - Osibisa Live UK 1974 Music for Gong Gong on stage was unforgettable. I have it in mind it was a year or two before this was recorded, they had the audience with them all the way, me too.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I remember the first time I heard Back Street Luv. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I have the album Air Conditioning from which Vivaldi comes. Great tracks

Winston Churchill
guppy

Post by guppy »

I saw Brooks and Dunn..The Last rodeo..it was Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1324430 wrote: I remember the first time I heard Back Street Luv. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I have the album Air Conditioning from which Vivaldi comes. Great tracks

One of the great albums of all time
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1324430 wrote: I remember the first time I heard Back Street Luv. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I have the album Air Conditioning from which Vivaldi comes. Great tracks I agree there.... I was 14 years old when Back Street Love hit the charts and I bopped to It at the local youth club In my Levi's......

Then I found The Stranglers !!!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1324600 wrote: I agree there.... I was 14 years old when Back Street Love hit the charts and I bopped to It at the local youth club In my Levi's......

Then I found The Stranglers !!!

I hope you did to your Levis what we all had to do back then. Put them on and shrink them in the bath. I even put bleached patches on mine

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1324611 wrote: I hope you did to your Levis what we all had to do back then. Put them on and shrink them in the bath. I even put bleached patches on mine

:yh_rotfl Spot on there mate.... I used to go to Millits to get my Levi's and then drive my mother mad by sitting In the bath for up to 6 hours... then dripping blue dye all over her carpet when I got out. I refused to take them off before they had dried on me and one night my mother stripped my bed and covered It In plastic because I Insisted on sleeping In them until they were dry.

My eldest brother had side-burns back In those days that he used 'Harmony' hair dye on them, so what with my Levi's and his black hair dye, we regually trashed Mothers bathroom. :yh_rotfl
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1324615 wrote: :yh_rotfl Spot on there mate.... I used to go to Millits to get my Levi's and then drive my mother mad by sitting In the bath for up to 6 hours... then dripping blue dye all over her carpet when I got out. I refused to take them off before they had dried on me and one night my mother stripped my bed and covered It In plastic because I Insisted on sleeping In them until they were dry.

My eldest brother had side-burns back In those days that he used 'Harmony' hair dye on them, so what with my Levi's and his black hair dye, we regually trashed Mothers bathroom. :yh_rotfl

We've all suffered to look fashionable. I risked severe hypothermia, going out in icy weather with wet hair and luckely never suffered permanent damage with those ultra tight jeans...... oooh..... *sharp intake of breath*

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1324618 wrote: We've all suffered to look fashionable. I risked severe hypothermia, going out in icy weather with wet hair and luckely never suffered permanent damage with those ultra tight jeans...... oooh..... *sharp intake of breath*
Bet you had a high voice from them? :yh_rotfl

After the Levi's, It was then Baggy's... Remember them? Instead of shrinking them we would try to stretch them for maximum Baggy look with the Loafers.

Then I got Into The Stranglers and polished my Doc Martins and Leather Jacket every night. I would go to Stranglers Gigs In the middle of summer In 85 degree;s but would not take off that leather Jacket... oh how we suffered for fashion. :wah:
fae

Post by fae »

Pink Floyd by a mile.... The Eagles and Meatloaf were a good follow up
spot

Post by spot »

A distinctly memorable evening was seeing YouTube - The Faces at an outdoor concert in the centre of Leicester with the stage perched over a rather large water feature - it kept the crowd from invading the stage very effectively. The local paper reported complaints about the noise level from residents in Rutland. Stunning night out, that was, I'm glad I got to see it.

Return to “General Music”