What Is the best band you have seen play Live?..

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1324676 wrote: A distinctly memorable evening was seeing YouTube - The Faces at an outdoor concert in the centre of Leicester with the stage perched over a rather large water feature - it kept the crowd from invading the stage very effectively. The local paper reported complaints about the noise level from residents in Rutland. Stunning night out, that was, I'm glad I got to see it.

I remember listening to Atomic Rooster - they were playing outside the Poly in the center of town and I was outside the pub in a village five miles away.

The played a good set but I don't thing a lot of the locals appreciated it.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1324701 wrote: they were playing outside the Poly in the center of town and I was outside the pub in a village five miles away.
The speaker stacks threw their entire weight onto the two-story East Wing of the Fletcher Building which focussed the output onto the broad face of the Fletcher tower itself, hence the startling echo. The architect probably went on to design early over-the-horizon radar posts for the Ministry of Defence. The whole notion of outdoor concerts in the town centre succumbed eventually when Student Health was constructed over the performance quadrangle.

The magnificent array of paternoster lifts which served the Fletcher tower succumbed in turn to Elfin Safety, for which vandalism some wretched jobsworth will I hope suffer torments in the afterlife. Any sane society would have imposed a preservation order instead.

Snowfire;1324430 wrote: I remember the first time I heard Back Street Luv. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I have the album Air Conditioning from which Vivaldi comes. Great tracksYou might like to see George Starostin's impressions on Curved Air. His entire site is one of the wonders of the Internet.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1324707 wrote:

You might like to see George Starostin's impressions on Curved Air. His entire site is one of the wonders of the Internet.

Thats a site I certainly need to find time to get to grips with. A cursory glance offered this little gem. I know its all subjective but .......

As for Gilmour, well, I just don't like the guy's guitar - I consider it generic and soulless. All of his 'classic' solos are so mathematically precise, counted out and adjusted that it almost makes me sick. He's no Steve Howe, and he's not even Steve Hackett. He's Dave, like we all know him: slow, meticulous and calculated. He's got some truly great guitar passages in his backpack (my favourite work of his is mostly located on Dark Side and Animals), but he also has a lot of pointless noodling, and he often selects the kind of generic highly distorted, yet not really 'heavy' guitar tone that I can't call anything but 'musical dentistry'. Sorry, Dave.

Really ? Music IS mathematics. Its supposed to be "counted out and adjusted". That doesnt make it souless. It makes it fit. Not that theres anything wrong with the 2 plus 2 equals 5 approach, in its right context.

I need to spend some time here. I might discover Dave Clark was the greatest drummer on the planet ....guffaw

David Bowie, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Tull, Clapton all class "C" artists ? mmmm !
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

What got me is the Kinks not rating class "A". I disagree with much of what Mr Starostin writes but I invariably come away with a fresh perspective and knowing a lot more than I did. And he often gets me laughing - you should see what he says about Tangerine Dream, for example, upon whom I dote.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Well, he's a young man to whom the Beatles and Stones, who he feels have done little wrong, came later than it did for us old hippies, so maybe he still has a lot of catching up to do. Maybe a re listen to some of those artists might soften some of the hate. He cant, at that age, have listened to us much music as say, you and I, in our autumn years. I didnt always get the things first time round.

His command of English is impressive. He understands it and it's slang very well. Thats funny

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

YouTube - Tasmin Archer - Sleeping Satellite

She was awesome.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

YouTube - Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I saw Fleetwood Mac earlier this year, they were really good.

Lindsay Buckingham was absolutely fabulous in guitar, he had so much energy.

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I don't go to many gigs but I consider Pink Floyd at Knebworth playing their Dark Side of The Moon set to be the best performance I've seen. To add to the aura, they sent a massive model of a plane from the back of the auditorium down to the stage 'crashing' to a brilliant display of fireworks. They also introduced for the first time, tracks from their next album, Wish You Were Here.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Queen, Knebworth Park, The Magic Tour.

Queen, Status Quo, Big Country.

Pure Magic!

The 1986 Knebworth Concerts

This was the very last Queen concert and one of their most famous!
allystage1

Post by allystage1 »

We recently saw KISS in concert. I have to say, they put on an over-the-top show that I have never seen before. I loved it. The visuals were stunning. As far as my fiancee' and I are concerned there will never be another band that tops what they achieved.
Oscar Namechange

Milton Keynes 1986... Awesome

YouTube - ‪Simple Minds Alive and Kicking.‬‎
Oscar Namechange

YouTube - ‪Nothing Lasts Forever - Echo and the Bunnymen‬‎
Oscar Namechange

Brighton Conference Centre 1982

YouTube - ‪UB40 One In Ten 1981‬‎
Oscar Namechange

Brighton Centre 1984

YouTube - ‪Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Annie I'm not your daddy (Pt.1)‬‎
Oscar Namechange

Brighton Centre 1981

YouTube - ‪Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays (Live SPOB 1981)‬‎
Odie

Post by Odie »

allystage1;1326121 wrote: We recently saw KISS in concert. I have to say, they put on an over-the-top show that I have never seen before. I loved it. The visuals were stunning. As far as my fiancee' and I are concerned there will never be another band that tops what they achieved.

friends of mine just saw them live two months ago here and raved just like you did.

glad you enjoy their show!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

I have a sudden antisocial urge to lower the tone of the thread...

How long does it take to get this out of your head once it's sneaked back in?
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1326143 wrote: I have a sudden antisocial urge to lower the tone of the thread...

your just old & grouchy!:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1326147 wrote: your just old & grouchy!:yh_rotflI am? With that depth of empathic warmth, Odie, I'm surprised you don't spend your time as a Samaritans volunteer, you're wasted on us.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1326143 wrote: I have a sudden antisocial urge to lower the tone of the thread...

You git :wah: that was actually a very juvenile post Spot! How old are you... five?? I will be humming that all day now! :rolleyes:

Odie did you listen to the track :thinking:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1326180 wrote: You git :wah: that was actually a very juvenile post Spot! How old are you... five?? I will be humming that all day now! :rolleyes:

Agreed! I only listened to it for a second and turned it off quickly. But not soon enough!

It's now singing loudly in my head and will be there for the whole day by the sound of it!

Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I understand this painting SO much better now! :wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1326177 wrote: I am? With that depth of empathic warmth, Odie, I'm surprised you don't spend your time as a Samaritans volunteer, you're wasted on us.

and you said you had oscar and myself on 'ignore!':yh_rotfl

I knew it wouldn't take you long to come back and insult me!:wah:

my work is finished here!:wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1326180 wrote: You git :wah: that was actually a very juvenile post Spot! How old are you... five?? I will be humming that all day now! :rolleyes:

Odie did you listen to the track :thinking:

I thought he meant 'KISS' as he had posted under my post!:yh_rotfl

okay.... so he's a git to!:wah:

I can understand both!:yh_giggle
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

Best Band i have seen play in a Live concert was probably Trans Siberian Orchestra they have an awesome Light show and have kind of theatrical setting as they tell story that the music portrays. I have seen both there Christmas and Beehtoven performances. A close second to them is The flaming lips

The best Sounding band i have herd while at a live concert is probably tom petty not much as far as theatrics just played but the atmosphere was good and so was the music not to say the above bands played bad there is just so much going on and at this one there wasn't so u got a good feel for the music.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Oh great ! Now I have this to add to the tinnitus that have to deal with. Git indeed

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

spot;1326177 wrote: I am? With that depth of empathic warmth, Odie, I'm surprised you don't spend your time as a Samaritans volunteer, you're wasted on us. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

All mankind may henceforth call me Moses, for I have returned alive from the Mountain having seen God.

Finally, after decades of my managing not to be there, Rick Wakeman has stood on a stage in front of me and performed swathes of King Arthur and Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and Katherine Parr off The Six Wives and an amazingly wow Starship Troopers, and it was fabulously exactly right. Two museum grade Moogs, eight other assorted keyboards and The Wizard himself. Life doesn't get much better than that. Ashley Holt sang and turned in a great convincing performance, Tony Fernandez drummed up a storm, Mr Wakeman seemed in good humour and enjoying his day in the countryside. I've worn my vinyl copies down the years, played them in strange places and there it all was, shiny and fresh on stage with the most informed crowd on the planet enjoying it.

There were other sets which got things right too. Little Feat were there, something else I've never seen live but enjoyed since birth. As might be expected there was the most extended detailed exploratory Dixie Chicken in the known universe from a group which in my eyes can do no wrong. Their drummer, Richie Hayward, died midweek in Vancouver. We'll all get there eventually.

It's hard to believe I'm not mentioning Status Quo yet but there they were, perfect in every detail. I had a good think while they were playing as to why I'd never much attended to their albums over the years. They're not Prog, they're not Folk, they're not Metal, what they are is Rock And Roll and they're exceptionally good at being Rock And Roll. They even threw in a bit of Blues just to show they could do it. I'm pleased I saw them again, they're still huge fun, they're admittedly living dinosaurs but then who isn't these days.

As for the rest, superb. Perfect. Exactly what three days of festival ought to be. Little Johnny England were a delight, Bellowhead were amazing fun - they seem to have carved out a niche of picking all the interminable-versed ancient folk like The Unquiet Grave and making it spin and sparkle, something you'd not have thought possible until you see it happen and discover that the songs aren't necessarily worthy relics, that they can be exciting too. Wait just a moment hangman, for I see my aged mother crossing yon stile, perhaps she brings silver and gold to save me from my fate... that sort of thing isn't an obvious contender for getting a field full of spectators jumping for joy but Bellowhead pulled it off. A group with which I was previously unfamiliar, Leatherat, were full of vim and I enjoyed their performance. Three Daft Monkeys get better each time I see them, they're very slick now and they've put some great songs together. Martyn Joseph was sandwiched between Mr Wakeman and the three hour Fairport set but didn't get lost, I reckon Cropredy's a perfect venue for him - he reminded me of a New Brunswick singer/songwriter I've seen now and then, Brent Mason, very similar stage presence and intensity.

So, I stood in a field for on and off thirty hours and watched some amazing live music with occasional sunshine and several downpours of rain. I shall now head for a much-needed bath.
Oscar Namechange

Spot... Rick Wakeman was and Is the only performance that I have ever actually walked out of... Worthing Assembly rooms In the 80's. Dire, Dreary, Monotone, bland and sleep Inducing.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1327489 wrote: Spot... Rick Wakeman was and Is the only performance that I have ever actually walked out of... Worthing Assembly rooms In the 80's. Dire, Dreary, Monotone, bland and sleep Inducing.

I'm gonna have words wiv you. Even with tinnitus my ears work better than yours. You venomous haridon you

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1327494 wrote: I'm gonna have words wiv you. Even with tinnitus my ears work better than yours. You venomous haridon you

I would be hypocrite If I posted that I had been to see him and all was tickety Boo..

Sorry but that Is just how I found him.

Jeanne Micheal Jarre was equally as tedious at London's Docklands but I did resist temptation to leave after the first half hour.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1327489 wrote: Spot... Rick Wakeman was and Is the only performance that I have ever actually walked out of... Worthing Assembly rooms In the 80's. Dire, Dreary, Monotone, bland and sleep Inducing.

Thank you oscar. It would have distressed me if you'd displayed any sign of good taste or judgement after all this while. Your view of Rick Wakeman merely sits alongside your lauding of such derisory characters as Brown, Griffin and The Stranglers and your applause for such obscenely barbaric practices as horse racing and recreational fishing.

Walking out on vile music is perfectly acceptable. I recall doing that to Elaine Page once, though what induced me to go to Evita in the first place leaves me baffled. Bernard Levin described the experience as "one of the most disagreeable evenings I have ever spent in my life". He, as a professional reviewer, was obliged to stay. I wasn't.
Odie

Post by Odie »

A Hard Days night.

The Beatles of course.:guitarist
Oscar Namechange

spot;1327536 wrote: Thank you oscar. It would have distressed me if you'd displayed any sign of good taste or judgement after all this while. Your view of Rick Wakeman merely sits alongside your lauding of such derisory characters as Brown, Griffin and The Stranglers and your applause for such obscenely barbaric practices as horse racing and recreational fishing.

Walking out on vile music is perfectly acceptable. I recall doing that to Elaine Page once, though what induced me to go to Evita in the first place leaves me baffled. Bernard Levin described the experience as "one of the most disagreeable evenings I have ever spent in my life". He, as a professional reviewer, was obliged to stay. I wasn't.

I aim to please Spot... I aim to please, however please let me correct you.

You can take Griffin out of that list as although It is an entirely different thread, One Is merely waiting for him to stand down as promised.

I can agree with you on Elaine Page although I have not seen her live myself. Her warblings remind me of the screaming of Vixens during rutting with the vixens being more agreeable on the ear.
Oscar Namechange

Spot.... While one may Indeed frown upon the antics of the members of The Stranglers, one can not deny their some-what prophetic Insight Into global affairs. I think this example demonstrates exactly this as was written and produced In 1979

YouTube - Stranglers - Shah Shah a go go
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1327650 wrote: Spot.... While one may Indeed frown upon the antics of the members of The Stranglers, one can not deny their some-what prophetic Insight Into global affairs. I think this example demonstrates exactly this as was written and produced In 1979

YouTube - Stranglers - Shah Shah a go go

Not prophetic, just a commentary of the events of the day. Sha of Iran and all that malarky. Wasnt it then ('79) that the Ayatollah took over Iran

Winston Churchill

Return to “General Music”