Violent Media - Music and Videogames

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Is Violent Music bad for Children?

Well the word is out this week that music with sex-laden lyrics have a positive correlation to teen pregnancy and sexual promiscuity. Who would have guessed it?

This is the very thing that was absolutely apparent and completely common sense to our grandparents, but takes a survey and scientific analysis to be proven to us.

So now that this has been proven, how about we spend a few hundred thousand dollars and research the effect of violent music on younger people? What do you think we'll find?

Again, it should be common sense, "garbage in, garbage out," as my mother used to say. What she was referring to was the fact that what you read, watch, and listen to does have an effect on your subconscious and day-to-day decision making processes. It’s a part of you, for better or worse.

I used to argue this every day with her, especially the corollary, "The clothes make the man," and her favorite, "You'll go deaf if you listen to that stereo so loud."

Well, I am approaching 50 years old, as I dressed up in my Piere Cardin suit the other day to meet with a principal of another high school, I realized that my wife was shouting something at me from the kitchen but I couldn't make it out…because I’m hard of hearing now. That's when it hit me...you were right Mom...and you didn't even need scientific evidence.

So today I'd like to say a little about violent music and videogames. Now, before you flame me, you'd better realize that I am a gamer. I've played almost every game on every system since the Atari 2600 came out. I know videogames.

I know music too, I play guitar, I have an extensive music collection. So when I say that there must be a line that we as a society should not cross, I know what I'm talking about.

My favorite "band to blame" is the hard-core rap death-metal band Insane Clown Posse. Is it a coincidence that the last four female students that became pregnant while in school were rabid fans of ICP? Not according to that study! Nor is it a coincidence that by far the number of disciplinary referrals and violent incidents I've seen in my educational career involved fans of this band. A typical ICP song carries the traditional, "I don't care about anyone, no one loves me, and I have angst" theme that goes back as far as Black Sabbath. That doesn't bother me.

What does bother me though is that this band incites violence towards innocent bystanders. ICP lyrics exhort teens to "stab the mailman," jump on the old guy's head until he's dead,' and a host of other explicit acts that go so far over the top that they are almost comical.

Videogames like "GTA: San Andreas" encourage teens to beat up hookers, kill pedestrians, and shoot police officers.

To me...that crosses the line.

Now, I know what you are going to say: "No one in their right mind would take this stuff seriously, its just music." Really? Tell that to the group of ten year olds that stomped another child to death on the playground in Norway because they saw it on "Power Rangers."

Sure, I'll even admit that I watched uncounted hours of the "Bugs Bunny / Road Runner" show and never once dropped an anvil on anyone's head. But I will say that when I'm listening to Frank Sinatra and driving down main street, I am mellow, driving the speed limit, and letting others pass and change lanes. But put in my "Rammstein" CD and I begin to change. I swear at other drivers. I speed up. I cut people off and get frustrated. I weave from lane to lane. In short... I turn from Dr. Jekell into Mr. Hyde.

Some may argue that this a "freedom of speech" issue. I'm not buying that. Your rights end where mine begin. You don't have the freedom to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. Why? Because my right not to get trampled to death overturns your right to free speech. This is similar. Your right to listen to violent hate music is superceded by my right to make is home safely in traffic with you.

I'm not suggesting that we begin to censor and ban all violent music. ( Heck, even the National Anthem is a song about a battle.) but I am saying that we as a society do ourselves a disservice to let violence and hate go unchecked and unlimited.

We must draw a line somewhere so that the "better angels of our nature" will have a chance. A fighting chance!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Elvis started it.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

And so, with a single post, any chance for serious debate went right down the drain with a flushing sound....:-5
spot

Post by spot »

No, be fair, it's a problem with a history far older than you are and people saying it was a problem before you were born. You're perhaps right in suggesting it's more explicit and widespread than in, say, the 20s or 50s or 80s but you know perfectly well we could give examples from each of those decades. What's more, because we're used to those oldies we see little offence in them despite the shock and revulsion they caused your granny. Why do you think there's a cut-off date?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Saint_;1311725 wrote: And so, with a single post, any chance for serious debate went right down the drain with a flushing sound....:-5

spot;1311824 wrote: No, be fair, it's a problem with a history far older than you are and people saying it was a problem before you were born. You're perhaps right in suggesting it's more explicit and widespread than in, say, the 20s or 50s or 80s but you know perfectly well we could give examples from each of those decades. What's more, because we're used to those oldies we see little offence in them despite the shock and revulsion they caused your granny. Why do you think there's a cut-off date?
I said the same thing Spot said except I did it in 3 words.

Return to “General Music”