Smokey Robinson

ZAP

Smokey Robinson

Post by ZAP »

Friday night we went to see Smokey Robinson at the Mountain Winery (used to be called Paul Masson) which is a beautiful venue on a mountain top in Saratoga overlooking San Jose. Smokey was amazing! He can hold those sweet high notes for ----forever! I think he's 70! Wonderful concert.
Odie

Smokey Robinson

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1322644 wrote: Friday night we went to see Smokey Robinson at the Mountain Winery (used to be called Paul Masson) which is a beautiful venue on a mountain top in Saratoga overlooking San Jose. Smokey was amazing! He can hold those sweet high notes for ----forever! I think he's 70! Wonderful concert.

Fabulous Zap! He is fabulous, nice to have see him in concert.:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
Clodhopper

Smokey Robinson

Post by Clodhopper »

Blimey. I didn't know old Smokey was still going! Must have been brilliant! I went to see BB King when he was over here a few years ago, thinking it's probably my last chance to see him live. He was brilliant. It felt like an honour and a privelege to be there, and your post suggests to me that you felt the same about the concert you went to.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
along-for-the-ride

Smokey Robinson

Post by along-for-the-ride »

A treat for all of us:

YouTube - Smokey Robinson - The Tracks Of My Tears Live (1965)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Mustang

Smokey Robinson

Post by Mustang »

Zapata;1322644 wrote: Friday night we went to see Smokey Robinson at the Mountain Winery (used to be called Paul Masson) which is a beautiful venue on a mountain top in Saratoga overlooking San Jose. Smokey was amazing! He can hold those sweet high notes for ----forever! I think he's 70! Wonderful concert.

Sounds like you had a great time Zapata! :guitarist

Yep, Smokey was born in 1940 William Robinson Jr.

Smokey Robinson Biography - Biography.com
ZAP

Smokey Robinson

Post by ZAP »

Clodhopper;1322652 wrote: Blimey. I didn't know old Smokey was still going! Must have been brilliant! I went to see BB King when he was over here a few years ago, thinking it's probably my last chance to see him live. He was brilliant. It felt like an honour and a privelege to be there, and your post suggests to me that you felt the same about the concert you went to.

Exactly! My kids had seen him there before, a few years back but I'd never seen him and I expected, at that age, that he would have lost it a little. He was absolutely incredible. I was the first to jump to my feet when he held those high sweet notes in Ooo, Baby, Baby. Yeah, he was MAGIC!! I saw his protege group, Human Nature from Australia, in Las Vegas. They sang Motown and they were fantastic.

My other daughter is getting tickets for Bob Dylan in late August as a birthday gift for me so I guess I'll be heading up to Oakland for that. :-6
ZAP

Smokey Robinson

Post by ZAP »

along-for-the-ride;1322728 wrote: A treat for all of us:

YouTube - Smokey Robinson - The Tracks Of My Tears Live (1965)

Great link, AFTR. Thanks! One of the little info blurbs that came up was about Smokey marketing cajun food under the label of The Soul is in the Bowl! :wah:
ZAP

Smokey Robinson

Post by ZAP »

Mustang;1322738 wrote: Sounds like you had a great time Zapata! :guitarist

Yep, Smokey was born in 1940 William Robinson Jr.

Smokey Robinson Biography - Biography.com

Great story about Marvin Gaye. Thanks, Mustang.
Kathy Ellen

Smokey Robinson

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1322850 wrote: Exactly! My kids had seen him there before, a few years back but I'd never seen him and I expected, at that age, that he would have lost it a little. He was absolutely incredible. I was the first to jump to my feet when he held those high sweet notes in Ooo, Baby, Baby. Yeah, he was MAGIC!! I saw his protege group, Human Nature from Australia, in Las Vegas. They sang Motown and they were fantastic.

My other daughter is getting tickets for Bob Dylan in late August as a birthday gift for me so I guess I'll be heading up to Oakland for that. :-6

Oh ~~~~swoone~~~~~ Zap....2 of my favorites. You must have had a ball seeing Smokey...and now Bob....WOOZA girl. Wow, concert at a winery...very special.

"You got a lot of nerve"....

YouTube - Positively 4th Street (Post Production)
along-for-the-ride

Smokey Robinson

Post by along-for-the-ride »

One of my favorite Smokey songs:

YouTube - Smokey Robinson - Being With You
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

Smokey Robinson

Post by ZAP »

along-for-the-ride;1323015 wrote: One of my favorite Smokey songs:

YouTube - Smokey Robinson - Being With You

This review sounds like the Smokey I saw, minus the first bad start with his battery pack.

Smokey Robinson outstanding in Bowl debut - Soundcheck : The Orange County Register

Here's some things about Smokey I didn't know with a mention of John Lennon, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, etc..

Smokey Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Return to “General Music”